aberdeen-music

Which are the best Aberdeen Bands (in your opinion)

CAC

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply 100% disagree.

Easy jets to london can cost you �30 a pop in advance.

Kids... get a gig booked' date=' get on a plane.

No excuses.

End of.

The problem with most aberdeen bands is they are too lazy to do this. Look at weapon, they've been whizzing up and down the country and what's happened? They are getting somewhere. They have worked for it and they deserve it.[/quote']

Agreed. Gigs don't come to you. You have to work for them.

is ''artsy'' a new word?

a lazy way for people in rock to describe everything else thats new sounding and therefor un-rock?

rock is truly dead but Im sure we shouldnt just bracket a whole range of new styles together as ''arsty'' just because the songs are not about bumming Satan or drinking whisky on a highway in Alabama (with the Devil no doubt)......theres a lot more to it than that

thing is, five years has a point, bands from here are geographically fucked. what weapon have proved is that you have to work as hard as them to get even where they are. you realise how much of a fraction bands from down south (generally, im being general people,) have to do what weapon have done?

Dusty, your point is invalid mate because Driveblind are NEVER here.

is ''artsy'' a new word?

a lazy way for people in rock to describe everything else thats new sounding and therefor un-rock?

rock is truly dead but Im sure we shouldnt just bracket a whole range of new styles together as ''arsty'' just because the songs are not about bumming Satan or drinking whisky on a highway in Alabama (with the Devil no doubt)......theres a lot more to it than that

oh not you. you're REALLY REALLY boring.

too many bands are caught up in the scene here and not looking at Scotland and the UK as a whole.

agreed to an extent. but then i also think that you are caught up in chasing fame (not meant as an insult) and are struggling to see it from other bands perspectives. many bands round here are not interested in being on MTV, having a gazillion friends on myspace, and whatever else happens when you are on the ladder to recognition etc

many are more happy to ply their trade and have a bucketload of fun. if an indie wants to put their record out then bonus (see copy ha ho forthcoming release on pet piranaha records, hookers green on snowstorm, small enclosed area on hackpen, the fat hippy bands etc etc)

most bands in aberdeen have been out playing in other cities, i could name a fair list of bands who have, just because they dont send 4/5 messages on myspace/splatter it over here about it does not mean they have not been away etc

some people just dont take their bands as their life

this in no way a dig at you or mmw, just merely providing a perspective from others point of view. im sure you know better than most how things work at local level

edited

agreed to an extent. but then i also think that you are caught up in chasing fame (not meant as an insult) and are struggling to see it from other bands perspectives. many bands round here are not interested in being on MTV' date=' having a gazillion friends on myspace, and whatever else happens when you are on the ladder to recognition etc

many are more happy to ply their trade and have a bucketload of fun. if an indie wants to put their record out then bonus (see copy ha ho forthcoming release on pet piranaha records, hookers green on snowstorm, small enclosed area on hackpen, the fat hippy bands etc etc)

most bands in aberdeen have been out playing in other cities, i could name a fair list of bands who have, just because they dont send 4/5 messages on myspace/splatter it over here about it does not mean they have not been away etc

just because they are not playing a p2p showcase at the catty** and taking a busload of people down with them, does not mean they are caught up in our local scene.

some people just dont take their bands as their life

this in no way a dig at you or mmw, just merely providing a perspective from others point of view. im sure you know better than most how things work at local level

** - something that i strongly oppose and presume that most of the local bands i was talkign about would oppose too. if it getys you where you want to go then good luck to you, but p2p is the enemy in my eyes[/quote']

Absolutely.

Your post generally is excellent. I do feel however that you have misunderstood what my points were. I wasnt having a dig at bands that have no ambition to be all what you said and seem to think MMW want to be. My point was merely on a musical level about styles of bands and how good they are. The ones that pull the most tend to be, in my eyes the ones that are working hardest. This usually means they practice the most and belive in themselves more therefore are often the best bands. These are usually the bands that use whatever means of promotion they can as well.

Of course its about fun. I agree 100%. The minute I stop having fun I get out of what Im doing as its not right.

You made a point about bands being peoples lives. Thats just it. Im in no way ramming my opinion down anyones throat anymore than another user on here. Music and my band IS my life so we will pust things and take things as far as we can.

You know me and you know my attitude towards everything at a local level and im the guy that makes three trips for a friends band in my car to get gear, im the guy that will not care about being cool and telling everyone how awesome my friends band is and to stay around even if there is ten people. You know this. You also know im EXTREMELY passionate about music and a VERY ambitious person. Just because i come from the school of wanting the whole world to hear our music doesnt mean that i would comprimise any integrity to get that. I do feel that you were heading down the usual road of being suspicious of why MMW are a band.

Guest five years
Already have and am continuing to do so.

Bet my balls are bigger than your biceps.

that's as may be, but i can pump iron to increase my puny muscles..

you will always have small balls.

Guest Neubeatz
Private spat.

So its "Official Sponsors" right to use homophobia as a form of abuse on a public bb, but a normal user such as ()Papaspyrou() gets banned for using such derogatory and demeaning terms,

Your money sucks pal.

So its "Official Sponsors" right to use homophobia as a form of abuse on a public bb' date=' but a normal user such as ()Papaspyrou() gets banned for using such derogatory and demeaning terms,

Your money sucks pal.[/quote']

Woah!... trust some faceless* dipshit** to come along and make that point?

Please may I refer you to this website instead:

www.faceless-and-overtly-politically-correct-shit-stirring-trolls-music.com

The "Official (quiche eating***) Sponsers" over there should live up to your rigorous expectations.

*Appologies to anyone who has ever been through a windscreen or had their features blown off with a shotgun etc.

** Appologies to anyone that ever pokes around in their own shit on a regular basis.

*** Appologies to anyone who eats quiche.

Did that cover all bases?

indie

i would definately recommend Badge and The Genics, 2 awesome bands that do the job with no fannying about!!!! the genics play drummonds saturday 12th december total grooving and rocking, bit like verve, doors n led zep!!! if u like ur indie then badge will be rite up yer street got an awesome professional sound, 3 piece band, the drummer sings total indie rock sound like weller,oasis kinda thing. pure magic check em out mate!!!