aberdeen-music

Which are the best Aberdeen Bands (in your opinion)

CAC

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pop-notmyface
Wouldn't it be a communal grave (no 's') in that case?

If you're going to point out mistakes' date=' you might as well check your own posts![/quote']

i was pointing out a mistake?

jeez, i didn't notice.

Guest lime ruined my life
Doris/mavis were dancetasic at deathfest but like mr fiend I can't be sure of my sanity by that point.

GAVFEST.........................................DEATHFEST!

GAVFEST!..........................................DEATHFEST!!!

GAVFEST!!!!------------------------------------------------DEATHFEST!!!!

etcetc.

I guess it would depend on who you want to musically pidgeon-hole yourself. Most of the bands listed on this thread are the artsy-student ones; if you like pop-punk they're no use to you - go see Stayover. If like righteous rock, go see Radio Lucifer and Deadloss Superstar; if you like metal, go see Black Atom or My Mnd's Weapon. Aberdeen offers a fairly wide range of styles.

I guess it would depend on who you want to musically pidgeon-hole yourself. Most of the bands listed on this thread are the artsy-student ones; if you like pop-punk they're no use to you - go see Stayover. If like righteous rock' date=' go see Radio Lucifer and Deadloss Superstar; if you like metal, go see Black Atom or My Mnd's Weapon. Aberdeen offers a fairly wide range of styles.[/quote']

What a thoroughly superb post.

And I'm not saying that because I'm in 2 of the bands he listed... ;)

but Mr Lucifer is spot on if - it entirely depends on what bands you like. eg If you wanna see heavy Rock n Roll performed better than anyone - check out radio lucifer - if Iron Maiden is your thing then there is no better band than black atom to check out. If you like angular 'post rock' then go see Eric Euan.... if you want brutal technical spazz core then go see We Shall be Blessed. I could go on with every genre but i would just say head down to a few gigs here and there and see what you think!

I guess it would depend on who you want to musically pidgeon-hole yourself. Most of the bands listed on this thread are the artsy-student ones; if you like pop-punk they're no use to you - go see Stayover. If like righteous rock' date=' go see Radio Lucifer and Deadloss Superstar; if you like metal, go see Black Atom or My Mnd's Weapon. Aberdeen offers a fairly wide range of styles.[/quote']

I like how you put yourself in there. What if people like neither of these?

Artsy student bands?

I wouldn't say most of the band mentioned are "artsy student bands".

I disagree, although I like some of these bands - Copy Haho, The Welles, Hookers Green #1, Dedalus, Right Hand Left, Reasons Are Red, Colonopenbracket, Stroszek, Electric Tibet, Doris/Mavis; would in my humble opinion be of the artsy/student variety. Again, THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING, before everyone gets all righteously indignant on my skinny ass. My point is this - the bands listed are not really an accurate reflection of all that occurs in Aberdeen. We're missing 15 million shitty metal bands for a start! ;)

i don't think "artsy student variety" is a fair description of any of the bands listed. if you must lump them into a genre then perhaps just guitar pop or indie would do the job. saying "artsy student variety" just makes it sound like you don't get it. though those bands listed by chris are so different it would be unfair to list them together in some cases.

i don't think "artsy student variety" is a fair description of any of the bands listed. if you must lump them into a genre then perhaps just guitar pop or indie would do the job. saying "artsy student variety" just makes it sound like you don't get it. though those bands listed by chris are so different it would be unfair to list them together in some cases.

Nah, sorry Dave. Chris has a point. Wether its fair or not I do see his point and if you really really let go of your admirable, take everything for what it is, no pre-conceptions stance for a second you would see why he has referred to those bands like he did. Im not having a go, I promise, BUT im in agreement with him. I guess its a sad state of affairs that I would see that Sharon is suggesting all those bands and probably think i already know what I'm getting and IN MY OPINION i'd probably be 90% correct. code of the road nowadays huh?

Thing is, lets be honest with ourselves (most people still wont be but hey!) If someone did come to Aberdeen and said i like rock/alternative music you wouldnt suggest alot of the bands here would you?

There are obvious better bands at certain things in Aberdeen and it will always be this way im afraid. They are usually the bands that work hardest and whos name is about. This is also usually down to them being the best at what they do as well. lets stop lying to ourselves.

Also, we should always keep in mind. Its only Aberdeen. there is some awesome quality here but you go to work twice as hard to get noticed AND too many bands are caught up in the scene here and not looking at Scotland and the UK as a whole.

Guest five years

Also' date=' we should always keep in mind. Its only Aberdeen. there is some awesome quality here but you go to work twice as hard to get noticed AND too many bands are caught up in the scene here and not looking at Scotland and the UK as a whole.[/quote']

I dunno who this guy is, but I reckon he's right about this...

Only last weekend I heard about a band from the southcoast of England (I forget the name) but they'd just been signed to some major label (could have been Virgin, again, I forget). Best thing is they had only played 5 gigs! My friend saw them at their "showcase" and apparently they were AWFUL, didn't have a clue what they were doing!

I've seen a heap of alternative bands in Aberdeen, and if they were from anywhere in England I'm sure a heap of them could play circles around what's big down there! Take The X-Certs, everyone up here knows they're amazing..so they've taken a massive step towards "making it" by getting the HELL out of Aberdeen and re-locating to Brighton, which has a vibrant scene and is only an hour from London, as much as people kid themselves that Glasgow really matters, they're wrong. You'll only make it if you're FROM Scotland IN Scotland if you sound like something that's being done to death already!

So, in summation, bands from Aberdeen=geographically fucked. End of.