aberdeen-music

What is with Myspace thingy

Hog

Ok, Im ignorant regarding MySpace. How come it is the in thing at the moment. Not being sarcastic, just wondering what it has to offer. I also cant listen to tunes i.e new Stayover, Bench etc for some reason, do I have to be a member or something. Please Fill me in (not in a punch/kick kind of way)

MySpace is literally hilarious.

Just sign up, skip making an embarassing profile, and bathe in your feelings of superiority as you look at streams of photos of people who think they're better looking than they are proclaiming things to be "teh sex".

Although it has become one of those things that it's just as cool to hate it now as it is to love it, very much like "emo".

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
i hate myspace' date=' but at the same time am completely hooked on it. I think it plays on everyones desire to be commented on by people. i really don't get it but fuck, i'm on it everyday. loser.[/quote']

JJ, can I just say:

death8wo.jpg

Conclusion: There is no cure!

I personally feel the typical 'myspacer' is hilarious, and it is funny seeing people put up pictures of themselves taken from a certain angle so they look way better than they do in the flesh - so then other people can comment on them saying that they look really hot etc.

However it can be an extremely useful tool for bands to network and make new fans, as long as it's used in a semi-intelligent manner. As far as MMW goes, we have had loads of people come to our gigs that wouldn't have ever heard of us, were it not for myspace.

I find it and the whole MSN thing repulsive

MSN and other instant messenging programs are somthing different though. They allow you to speak to people in realtime who are online at the same time as you. It seems strange to me that you find MSN repulsive it's just another way of communicating with friends. And if you pay a flat rate for broadband it's cheaper than a text message or a phone call.

MySpace really is shite. In the good ole days of yore we used to build our own HTML websites on free sites such as yahoo and geocities. Now everyone's 'site' looks the same and contains nothing more than a boring diary of their lives and a guestbook so that we can say how dull they really are.

At least on a forum you can speak shite, fuck off and only leave a minor mark on the internet. With Myspace it's like taking a monster turd on the pavement for all to step on.

What gets me about myspace is when people post "new pictures" expecting comments...then they post it again a day later because no-one has, I mean...what's the fucking point?

Best thing about myspace (in my opinion) is discovering music that you hadn't heard before - not so much in unknown bands, but rather well known bands that you simply hadn't heard before.

And it is ace fun turning down friend whores ;)

Guest pop-notmyface

myspace is an extension of the that weblog thing and face party. only much better. it's a great way of promoting music and pretty much everything else, ie. yourself. there will be successful companies that are based on myspace. it's big. so big in fact that the owner of FOX bought it. and it will get bigger until one day it explodes, or we actually have virtual myspace. and saying that it's shit is being in complete denial.

it's the modern diary.

a modern way of getting to know new people.

a modern demise...

we love myspace!! we use it for promoting our gigs etc etc and its been an amazing resource for hearing/finding/meeting great bands that we would never had met otherwise...and wouldnt have brought/be bringing to you in aberdeen! we met EF through myspace, and Smackdown...and look out for Sincabeza (france) and Knives (nottingham) coming your way soon...all cause of Myspace, so dont knock it!! yes there's a lot of rubbish out there too but if you dont want to add someone just deny them...

BUT we do ABSOLUTELY HATE all those people/bands that beg for comments and send out endless pointless bulletins....'comment my pics' 'comments please...we will comment back' blah blah blah!!! aaarghhh so annoying....

but myspace gets the thumbs up in the Arkade camp! :up:

oh btw www.myspace.com/shazkabam or www.myspace.com/stuartmaxwell

hehe!!

From reading this it seems that Myspace can be useful if used correctly. One major problem is that I stil cant listen to any songs which is the main reason I go on to bands Myspace pages! :down: Its like having a car with no wheels

Sometimes the player that hosts the songs goes down so nothing playes. The errors and maintenance messages are so annoying. But aye, it's an alright site. I've discovered a bunch of ace bands and met some nice people from Aberdeen off it too.

Guest pop-notmyface
Even worse!

Pop-notmyface' date=' where did you get your username? It is the weirdest username ever lol[/quote']

mmh, im not too sure, it was something to do with a 15 leaving a mesage on my phone or something like that... :O