aberdeen-music

Fuck sony

rune

Guest Kevin Mulhern

Technical Details

If anyone is interested in the technical details of the nasty peice of Malware that Sony is including on its CDs

look here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

"The entire experience was frustrating and irritating. Not only had Sony put software on my system that uses techniques commonly used by malware to mask its presence, the software is poorly written and provides no means for uninstall. Worse, most users that stumble across the cloaked files with a RKR scan will cripple their computer if they attempt the obvious step of deleting the cloaked files."

This is a case of a large company attempting to keep its profit magin by exploiting holes in a mediocre operating system.

Make a stand, and hit them where it hurts, don't buy this music - download it.

And dont use M$ use Linux (It is immune to this kind of carp).

http://www.aberlug.org.uk/

Kevin

Guest Kevin Mulhern
they may be going about it in a slightly over the top way but at least they are trying to do something to prevent piracy

True: Piracy is something that can damage the artist as much as the company, but installing a piece of Spyware, which has the potential effect of crippling the machine, on a customers machine. Is not going to guarantee future custom, and I don't believe a company as such would change this behaviour unless it sees an effect on its profit margin.

Kevin

Actually iTunes will kill artists before piracy....

Eveything Apple used to slate Microsoft over, they have incorporated in their iTunes manifesto...anyone who pays for mp3's will kill the music industry, mark my words.

People used to say the cassette and vhs would kill the audio/film industry....that was decades ago, and they still look like they are thriving!!!!

It seems that hackers have already started exploiting Sony's DRM copy protection.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27608

But fortunately, Sophos is bringing out a piece of software that will get rid of it from your PC. I've had a surf around and there are a few companies willing to sort this out.

It'd be good to hear from Sony about this.

Actually iTunes will kill artists before piracy....

Eveything Apple used to slate Microsoft over' date=' they have incorporated in their iTunes manifesto...anyone who pays for mp3's will kill the music industry, mark my words.

People used to say the cassette and vhs would kill the audio/film industry....that was decades ago, and they still look like they are thriving!!!![/quote']

yeah but if they are paying for it then record and publishing companies are still getting the royalties for it.

so its better than illegal plus the record companies dont have to pay disrtubiton or pay MCPS on cds that dont even get sold.

so selling tunes on the internet does benifit them in some ways.

but i dont like ipods anyway. i like owning cds.

but i cant pass comment on if your meaning apple will kill the industry rather than the legal download of songs online.

Heh its already happened!!! :D

I've had a virus that got deep in my system before to the extent that it lasted 3 years between several different computers/builds....

REMEMBER TO HOLD SHIFT AS YOU INSERT YOUR SONY CD'S AS THIS SHIT IS USUALLY TRIGGERED BY AUTO PLAY!!!!!

Alternatively, get a CD player and soundcard with SPDIF and make your mp3 rips in this way ;) ;)

It seems that hackers have already started exploiting Sony's DRM copy protection.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27608

But fortunately' date=' Sophos is bringing out a piece of software that will get rid of it from your PC. I've had a surf around and there are a few companies willing to sort this out.

It'd be good to hear from Sony about this.[/quote']

yeah managed to get a drm remover for my mobile, before sony erikson pulled it! :)

hahaha, fuck you sony owned!!

I'll sue Sony's backside if they fuck with my computer. The bastards.

Exactly, no one has the write to hack into your machine. I cannot believe for one second

that sony can legally put trojans in their software so they can trace your machine so to

try and check to see if your ip has changed. Invasion of privacy. Not one corporation can

legalise hacking. No fucking way

i am astonished by the irresponsible attitude sony has towards its customers... a half arsed attempt to protect against piracy at the expense of putting customers data/ records/ work/ software at risk in a completely indiscriminate manner, largely because someone in sony hasn't got the competence to

- consider the implications of their proposed short sighted short term measures

- enlist the assistance of a decent sw developer/ team...

given that their product is sold internationally their measures cannot possibly be in accordance with all host nation laws...

lastly what a pr disaster...pc crashes/ data losses occur at an all too frequent rate on a world wide basis (due largely to sloppy coding and internationally accepted poor standard of code development) once this can be attributed to sony, it will invariably have significant backlash...(i guess that's why they were so quick to try put the brakes on this whole fiasco)

buggered if i ever buy anything with sony written on it...

Of course they are, but is it in the public interest to prosecute for it? It would cost potentially millions - with the taxpayer being left to front the bill. It would be better to simply ban the "CD's" (they're not CD's in the strictest sense, look at the case and see if it has the compact disc logo) from being sold.

In an ideal world labels and publishers and the sodding PRS wouldn't exist' date=' and I think that one day down the line that'll be the case. Either that or all music will be made by robots.[/quote']

Out of curiosity, what's your issue with the PRS?

(I've been reading about them and I still can't grasp whether they're a good or bad thing)

Of course they are' date=' but is it in the public interest to prosecute for it? It would cost potentially millions - with the taxpayer being left to front the bill. It would be better to simply ban the "CD's" (they're not CD's in the strictest sense, look at the case and see if it has the compact disc logo) from being sold.[/quote']

the tax payer would pay nothing... costs are payed by the party losing the case... as a "bloke in a pub" type expert on the law...i don't think sony would stand much chance of victory in these circumstances...

surely Sony are breaking the computer misuse act by installing software without the owner's authorisation?

According to my reading of act they are in both the UK and the US. However' date=' taking on their laywers would be scary. The EFF ([url']www.EFF.org) are going to fight this, give them a donation.