aberdeen-music

The end of evolution

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

Hindu beliefs do incoorporate that thinking.

Whereas christians beleive that faith in jesus christ is the ONLY way to heaven.

(an utter contrast in beliefs)

buhdism (correct me if im wrong) want to achieve a state or nirvana' date=' which actually means nothingness (compared to other religions wanting to go to a paradise).

These three believes alone are utterly different and would make it hard to believe they all came from a central source.[/quote']

Many christians believe that loving christ is the only way into heaven. the issue at stake is what jesus represents (seeing as we can probably agree that the idea of christ is a story or an exaggerated mythological version of some kernal of historical fact) If we see jesus as an allegory for some aspect of the human experience (unconditional love?) we can see his parralels in other religions. There is an important difference between the spirit of christian teachings and the way in which different practicing christians use that spirit as a justification for their behaiviour and i think that is something you haven't defined very well

Although you aree stating that those three examples cannot be reconsiliated i think they can. Jesus was the son of god and so his teachings could be seen as promoting the union of the spiritual and the material. this idea of union is also shown in buddism which is not about nothingness in the way that you state: buddism concerns the reconsiliation of the dualities of human existence including the spiritual and the material, the spirit and the body. or more fundamentally, reconsiling the self with the universe, resulting in the 'nothingness' of the non-self (bigger self?)

i'm rambling on, sorry. what i'm trying to say is religion is about studying aspects of the human mind through a ctructured system of investigation, parts of the mind that are best accessed through metaphor.

about evolution: of course it's a belief, it's a model for interpreting the universe its impossible for darwin to have been Right (capital R) but his theory usefully progressed our understanding beyond creationism, which, in my opinion, is pretty outmoded.

Many christians believe that loving christ is the only way into heaven. the issue at stake is what jesus represents (seeing as we can probably agree that the idea of christ is a story or an exaggerated mythological version of some kernal of historical fact) If we see jesus as an allegory for some aspect of the human experience (unconditional love?) we can see his parralels in other religions. There is an important difference between the spirit of christian teachings and the way in which different practicing christians use that spirit as a justification for their behaiviour and i think that is something you haven't defined very well

Although you aree stating that those three examples cannot be reconsiliated i think they can. Jesus was the son of god and so his teachings could be seen as promoting the union of the spiritual and the material. this idea of union is also shown in buddism which is not about nothingness in the way that you state: buddism concerns the reconsiliation of the dualities of human existence including the spiritual and the material' date=' the spirit and the body. or more fundamentally, reconsiling the self with the universe, resulting in the 'nothingness' of the non-self (bigger self?)

i'm rambling on, sorry. what i'm trying to say is religion is about studying aspects of the human mind through a ctructured system of investigation, parts of the mind that are best accessed through metaphor.

about evolution: of course it's a belief, it's a model for interpreting the universe its impossible for darwin to have been Right (capital R) but his theory usefully progressed our understanding beyond creationism, which, in my opinion, is pretty outmoded.[/quote']

yes there may be parrallels in some teachings between religions, but that doesnt explain the fundemental differences in the core beliefs.

you compare the christian beliefs to how people justify actions, i can only assume you are refering to wars etc (though there will be differences on a personal level) but i dont think that is a trait that you can narrow down to just christians.

I find a lot of the time acts done in the cause of a religion can actually be contrary to the religion. Northern Ireland situation and Terrorist attacks by extremist islamic groups both claim to be doing it for their religion though most outside of that situation would say that doesnt fit with the religion. I think a lot of things have been done in the name of religion purely to try and justify it, not from a true belief.

Suggesting it is a commandment from god could also increase a dictators control over a group.

I hope that makes sense, just my point of view on a few things.

At the moment i would say scientific proof seems to suggest creationism is correct.

The big bang theory can be traced back to arround 6x10^-6 (this number may be a little wrong i cant be bothered finding notes to look it up) seconds after creation of the universe, this portion cannot be explained. Then after the creation of the earth there are huge gaps i knowledge of where species came/evolved? from.

I find a lot of the time acts done in the cause of a religion can actually be contrary to the religion. Northern Ireland situation and Terrorist attacks by extremist islamic groups both claim to be doing it for their religion though most outside of that situation would say that doesnt fit with the religion. I think a lot of things have been done in the name of religion purely to try and justify it' date=' not from a true belief.

Suggesting it is a commandment from god could also increase a dictators control over a group.

[/quote']

this is exactly what i meant when i said "There is an important difference between the spirit of christian teachings and the way in which different practicing christians use that spirit as a justification for their behaiviour"

yes there may be parrallels in some teachings between religions, but that doesnt explain the fundemental differences in the core beliefs.

i think the core beliefs are different interpretations of an absolute truth

Then after the creation of the earth there are huge gaps i knowledge of where species came/evolved? from.

i suppose i'm saying we have no way of approaching a decision, all we have is a choice in which model we use to shape our perceptions. Evolution is the current consensus, i'm sure it will change.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

For fuck's sake, do you guys have to get all philisophical on everything thats said.

I wanted nothing but shit comments posted about this thread, but not this sort of shit, ya bandit C********ts

religion has been the cause of a numorous amount of wars also' date='thanks to "god" millions of jews were killed.[/quote']

I think you'll find its mans intolerance to his fellow man (and their beliefs) that causes war, and I believe that it was Hitler and his Nazi mates who inflicted the holocaust and not "God"

See/hear Bill Hicks routine on religious types saying God put dinosaur bones there 'to test our Faith'' date=' after being asked to explain why dinosaur bones are found if evolution never happened.

'Oh, a prankster God'

:rockon:[/quote']

That's one of God's easiest jokes :D

See also his line about how people who believe in creationism looking curiously unevolved...

Creationist: "I believe God created me in one day"

Hicks: "Looks like he rushed it"