aberdeen-music

Weird Computer Problem

Rass

Right,

So since i installed my new hard drive and DVD-R my computer has been sporadically just turning off for what seems like no reason, its not regular, sometimes it'll happen say twice a day and then not happen for weeks/months.

My immediate thought was that i may need a new power unit as perhaps the new hardware was just overloading my current one but it just seems too random to be that, its not like it goes when i use the writer, it normally just goes during general use.

Also i guessed it may be the fan, but its not up against the wall, pretty well ventilated, and i've cleaned it a couple of times in my quest to get on top of this problem.

thing is, to remedy the problem i was just replacing the fuse in the plug, then one day i accidentally put the same fuse (which i'd assumed had blown) in and it worked fine. so i worked backwards from that. When it goes it doesnt turn straight back on, when i unplug the PC and plug in again, it doesnt work, when i take the fuse cover off and put it back on, it doesnt work (that was a bit in vein i know), but when i take off the fuse cover and move the fuse round a bit (like you would with a set of almost dead batteries in a TV remote) it works fine.

Anyone got any ideas? I was going to get a new video card sometime soon and i guess if it's the power unit i might as well get a new one before i overload my current one any further.

Cheers

Rass x

If you have another power lead try that' date=' otherwise it may just be your PSU starting to go, you can get a decent PSU for about 20.[/quote']

well yeah it's been going on for quite a while now, prolly about a year, i have been through a couple different cables in my search for an easy computer life.

I guess i might take the plunge for a new PSU, whats staple for general use these days? I'm running a CD-R, DVD-R, 2 hard drives, 1.6Ghz proscessor & 512Meg RAM if it makes the slightest difference. Not sure the size of the one i have at the moment (that would require moving stuff ;))

My computer randomly turned itself off at like 3am.. I was in bed and then i heard windows log out and my computer turn off and got quite a fright. Haven't a clue why it did it though, it hasn't before.

well yeah it's been going on for quite a while now' date=' prolly about a year, i have been through a couple different cables in my search for an easy computer life.

I guess i might take the plunge for a new PSU, whats staple for general use these days? I'm running a CD-R, DVD-R, 2 hard drives, 1.6Ghz proscessor & 512Meg RAM if it makes the slightest difference. Not sure the size of the one i have at the moment (that would require moving stuff ;))[/quote']

basically the higher the better, anything over 400W is good, i'd reconmend 450 or 500W.

like actually turned itself off? as in logged out and shut down? thats bizarre? unless you have a keyboard that has a 'shut down' key, something might of hit it or something? i always do that by accident when im in the middle of something, fucking sucks!

That or windows might of downloaded updates and needed to restart, it sometimes does that itself.

Incidentally mine's not powering down, just a cold hard cut, must be doing wonders for the motherboard...

like actually turned itself off? as in logged out and shut down? thats bizarre? unless you have a keyboard that has a 'shut down' key' date=' something might of hit it or something? i always do that by accident when im in the middle of something, fucking sucks!

That or windows might of downloaded updates and needed to restart, it sometimes does that itself.

Incidentally mine's not powering down, just a cold hard cut, must be doing wonders for the motherboard...[/quote']

I don't have a shut down key...

that's why i had such a fright..i managed to convince myself that a robber had come into my flat and turned off my computer.. hey, it could happen! but yeah, just logged out and turned iself off..

Now im not sure if its the same as my recent issues but my comp was randomly turning off/Freezing/and wouldnt restart (it was also a brand new HD) so i took it into my work and was told the new HD was not working properly. i took no heed said that was rubbish went home 2 days later POP lost 80gig worth of stuff.............

Also and im not being patronisng here make sure your cable is plugged into the HDD properly as in its not in squint......or not properly clicked in.......Hope its not a faulty hd mate as if so u will lose all data (unless unlike me u back everything up).........

Sorry if im worng and ill stfu now.......ok no i wont

Now im not sure if its the same as my recent issues but my comp was randomly turning off/Freezing/and wouldnt restart (it was also a brand new HD) so i took it into my work and was told the new HD was not working properly. i took no heed said that was rubbish went home 2 days later POP lost 80gig worth of stuff.............

Also and im not being patronisng here make sure your cable is plugged into the HDD properly as in its not in squint......or not properly clicked in.......Hope its not a faulty hd mate as if so u will lose all data (unless unlike me u back everything up).........

Sorry if im worng and ill stfu now.......ok no i wont

That would have been helpful had he installed a new hard drive.

To be honest i think its a CPU fault caused by over heating check the fan is working.

If not Faulty power supply or hard disk. (Sometimes even a new hard disk can surge causing your pc to shutdown/restart ive seen some cases even Fry the whole pc)

A 400W, 500W blah blah wont make a difference if his motherboard dont need it.

Aaron

• 3 months later...
My computer randomly turned itself off at like 3am.. I was in bed and then i heard windows log out and my computer turn off and got quite a fright. Haven't a clue why it did it though' date=' it hasn't before.[/quote']

if you have norton home it could be that....Its the most freaky thing ever.

we got a dude in to check it all out...turns out Norton just went nuts....:swearing:

formatted the hdd and installed AVG now it works fine and never randomly goes on/off

It may also be:

When you were installing the HD and DVD you may have loosened the PSU brick from the motherboard fastening point. Make sure it is secure by pressing down on it (the white piece of lego with different coloured wires coming out of it.

Personally, I think it is more likely to be the BIOS overheat shutdown facility, as Cloud pointed out.

As far as PSU's go, for your set-up 350W to 400W is perfectly fine. Anything more is a total waste of money.

right seein as we're still talking about this:

I bought a new PSU a few weeks ago as i was installing a second monitor and needed new video card to support it, my psu is now 400W, the old one was 300W, the guy in the shop reccomended it really. i havent been having the trouble with shutting off in a while. though i did notice it was mainly just when the PC had been on stand by, when it was shut down properly and re-booted it was generally fine, but when brought back on from stand by it would go at any point from a minute to 3 hours after being turned on. it did once even just go the second i turned it on.

Anyway, touch wood it's been fine since i got a new PSU, not really sure what the deal was with it. I think i was just more weirded out that it was only fixable when fucking with the fuse, not taking it out or replacing it, just fiddling it like a loose battery, thought that was a bit bizarre, thats all. Thanks for all the help tho!