aberdeen-music

Your musical influences?

Guest MKII

What musicians influence your playing and/or singing?

My main influences are:

Singing: Donovan, George Harrison, Kerry Minear.

Guitar: Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Robert Fripp, John McLaughlin, Frank Zappa, Donovan.

Flute, Ian McDonald, Harold McNair.

Saxophone: Ian McDonald, Harold McNair, Ian Underwood, Elton Dean.

Keyboard: Ian McDonald, Kerry Minear, Keith Tippett, Mike Pinder, Mike Ratledge.

anything i hear (and like)<skip this part... i guess influences me.

Yeah definitely, to my horror, a recent idea of mine sounds similar to a part of a black eyed peas tune.

I blame the radio at work for that!

:help:

Electric guitar: Dimebag Darrell, Stephen Carpenter, Tom Morello, James Hetfield, Kim Thayill, Dave Mustaine and a multitude of others

Acoustic: Kelly Joe Phelps, Alasdair Roberts

Tin Whistle: Bill Ochs (he wrote the book I'm learning from :D)

At the end of the day I agree with Dave really. All of the music I listen to influences me and gives me ideas to try out.

Hideaki Ishii has always been one of my biggest influences. When it comes to percussion, he is incredibly skilled at bringing out the subtlety of texture in breaks that have been recorded in a less than pristine manner, and using it to maximum atmospheric effect. This and his minimalist approach to composition, skillful use of the sampler and taste for melancholic and dark vibes make him one of my favourite artists and he has been a huge inspiration to me for years.

Brian Dougans & Garry Cobain are my other big influence, they are in a league of their own. Complex arrangements, intelligent use of synthesizers, warped samples, esoteric rhythms, it's all here and they do it in a way that noone else does. I have been listening to their stuff for years and I always find it incredibly inspiring. I still find myself wondering "how the hell did they achieve that sound?!" now and again.

why is that somehting to be ashamed of? o_O

Of course, Joy Division are one of the best bands of all time, but I'm ashamed that I grew up listening to and being influenced by bands that expired before I was born like JD and The Smiths, rather than bands who were happening at the time, because I don't like to see kids now going about Nirvana and The Pixies, rather than We Are Scientists and Maximo Park. That said, "The Ve" can be seen on my bedpost, where I started carving The Verve, but gave up, so my 14 year-old self wasn't all bad

In general (as someone else said) - everything I've ever heard and liked from the earliest age onwards. Examples:

The Corries. Gilbert and Sullivan. Spike Milligan. Some strange cypriot instrumental single (it was cool - see through turquise vinyl). Abba. Iron Maiden. (early) Runrig. The Chieftains. Silly Wizard. Led Zeppelin. Alan Stivell. (Fish era) Marillion. Meatloaf. Thin Lizzy. Mozart.

A major influence on my musical style was the singer/rhythm guitarist in my first band - Martin Watson (now known as shambles - often frequents The Moorings I believe, and is mostly drunk) - fantastic songwriter.

I'd even go so far as to say that everyone is influenced by EVERYTHING they hear - not just the stuff they like, but even the stuff they don't has some influence.

Regards

Flossie

I would say Keith Moon, Buddy Rich, Bud Gaugh, Michael Schorr and Jason McGerr are all inspired and inspiring drummers to me.

I don't think I play Harmonica or Keyboards well enough to merit mentioning influences.

And for lyrically inspiring I would go with Richey Edwards, Nicky Wire, Bob Dylan, Benjamin Gibbard and Jenny Lewis.

I would say Keith Moon' date=' Buddy Rich, Bud Gaugh, Michael Schorr and Jason McGerr are all inspired and inspiring drummers to me.

I don't think I play Harmonica or Keyboards well enough to merit mentioning influences.

And for lyrically inspiring I would go with Richey Edwards, Nicky Wire, Bob Dylan, Benjamin Gibbard and Jenny Lewis.[/quote']

Nicky Wire, haha, you're having a Steffi Graff.