aberdeen-music

Government defeated on terror laws

Guest tv tanned

well well well wonder how lnong before Mr ANthony Blair is kiked to the kurb eh.....

On the news it said that wednesday the 9th of November at 16:34 2005 will go down in history as the downfall of tony blair..............

It was also on sky news last week that Mr Brown wants him out but that was 'reported' not actually said by himself

Ach they're saying Blair was happy for this to happen. Some of the stuff that he still wants to bring into Parliament is apparently even less popular than this, so he wants to make himself look like he's trying tough on terror (identifying with the middle-Englanders etc) but his plans are being sabotaged by Brown's camp.

Basically, if he gets the stuff through, he's quite happy and if he keeps losing votes and eventually loses his job, he's going to make it look like it was Brown's doing and that Brown has let a personal quarrel take more precendence than the security of the nation. One thing it does indicate from this is that Blair thinks Brown's going to be the PM soon (presumably Alan Millburn isn't going to get the job after all).

Forgot to say, the other thing that might happen is that the Tories will back Blair's policies whilst a large quantity of the Labour Party won't, which will rip Labour apart. I wonder if Blair's thinking is that since he can't get anyone to succeed him from his own camp, he's going to make sure Brown inherits a poisoned chalice.

Let's just hope that somebody we let out of jail after 28 days doesnt go and bomb us, because the police weren't allowed enough time to get the proper evidence.

It's a horrible situation for any innocents that are arrested, but I personally would prefer that the police have the option of keeping someone in for 90 days if it means a shitload of people dont get bombed.

I think Blair got this one right for once, and I hope we dont live to regret it.

Let's just hope that somebody we let out of jail after 28 days doesnt go and bomb us' date=' because the police weren't allowed enough time to get the proper evidence.

It's a horrible situation for any innocents that are arrested, but I personally would prefer that the police have the option of keeping someone in for 90 days if it means a shitload of people dont get bombed.

I think Blair got this one right for once, and I hope we dont live to regret it.[/quote']

It's people like you that are letting this country go to shit. 28 days is still an obscene length of time to hold people for, and it is arguably better to release suspects if they can't be charged due to lack of evidence, because if the authorities are that convinced that such a person is a terrorist, they can put them under surveillance and watch what they are up to. Although, you would expect them to have done that in the first place before arrresting them.

This is just carte blanche to pick up anyone they dont like the look of.

It's people like you that are letting this country go to shit. 28 days is still an obscene length of time to hold people for' date=' and it is arguably better to release suspects if they can't be charged due to lack of evidence, because if the authorities are that convinced that such a person is a terrorist, they can put them under surveillance and watch what they are up to. Although, you would expect them to have done that in the first place before arrresting them.

This is just carte blanche to pick up anyone they dont like the look of.[/quote']

Yes, me and two thirds of the whole country apparently. It's all our fault.

Incidentally, given that the 90-day rule was requested by the police, I'd guess that your suggestion of simply putting people under surveillance is a gross over-simpification of how the police should do their job. They asked for this because as things stand, they cant deal with the terror threat effectively.

Guest tv tanned

Funny how when the police call for 90 day detention, the government tell us we have to roll over yet when the police call for extra funding it falls on deaf ears in the corridors of power.

I was always of the impression that it was in third world countries that the police told the governments what to do.

Are you seriously suggesting that 90 day detentions would have had any effect on preventing the July 7th atrocities?

It's funny that his first defeat comes on an issue where he apparantly does have public support' date=' if that is the case i don't see it doing as much harm ot him as some people are saying, but if he has more losses on upcoming votes then he will be in trouble.[/quote']

Blair isn't going anywhere until he beats Maggie's record in November 2008. They've got a big enough majority to ensure that they won't lose a vote of no confidence (heck, Major won one) - so really, he can do whatever the hell he likes.

What should be more worrying to him is that 12 ex ministers voted against him - what kind of message is that sending out to the voters?

Guest bluesxman
Are you seriously suggesting that 90 day detentions would have had any effect on preventing the July 7th atrocities?

Are you in sufficient possession of knowledge to suggest they wouldn't have?

What would your solution to this problem be?

I haven't seen an alternative suggestion on here from you or anyone, just the usual outcry about how innocents will suffer.

Guest tv tanned
Are you in sufficient possession of knowledge to suggest they wouldn't have?

What would your solution to this problem be?

I haven't seen an alternative suggestion on here from you or anyone' date=' just the usual outcry about how innocents will suffer.[/quote']

1. Yes, otherwise why were they not brought in under the present powers police have to detain suspects? The bombers would not have been ensnared by any 90 day proposal, and to suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Besides which, it is currently the case that police can apply for extended detention subject to judicial review, so there are powers already available if the police need to interrogate a suspect further.

2. I support the compromise which has been reached, I recognise that there is a need for measures to tackle terrorism, but I am afraid I do not see what 90 day detention would do other than cause serious tensions in our minority communities. It is interesting to note that the Northern Irish MPs, to a man, voted against the proposals after relaying their experience of internment which acted as a recruiting sergeant for the IRA. Those who ignore the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them.

3. I think I have answered this one.

Imagine being held for 90 days with no charge. Who pays the mortgage whilst I'm locked up? Would my job be held open for me? I think not.

90 days imprisonment means a lot more than just 90 days off the street to Mr 'Innocent until PROVEN guilty'. He'd lose everything.

There's something wrong with our Police if they can't get a charge to stick within 28 days. If not then surely the accused should be set free.

Unless they wear some sort of turban, rag or hook .... then they're definately guilty!

Guest bluesxman
1. Yes' date=' otherwise why were they not brought in under [b']the present powers police have to detain suspects? The bombers would not have been ensnared by any 90 day proposal, and to suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Besides which, it is currently the case that police can apply for extended detention subject to judicial review, so there are powers already available if the police need to interrogate a suspect further.

2. I support the compromise which has been reached, I recognise that there is a need for measures to tackle terrorism, but I am afraid I do not see what 90 day detention would do other than cause serious tensions in our minority communities. It is interesting to note that the Northern Irish MPs, to a man, voted against the proposals after relaying their experience of internment which acted as a recruiting sergeant for the IRA. Those who ignore the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them.

3. I think I have answered this one.

What are these powers, out of interest due to lack of knowledge on my part?

Your last sentence in 2 I hope is not prophetic....

Guest bluesxman
Imagine being held for 90 days with no charge. Who pays the mortgage whilst I'm locked up? Would my job be held open for me? I think not.

90 days imprisonment means a lot more than just 90 days off the street to Mr 'Innocent until PROVEN guilty'. He'd lose everything.

There's something wrong with our Police if they can't get a charge to stick within 28 days. If not then surely the accused should be set free.

Unless they wear some sort of turban' date=' rag or hook .... then they're definately guilty![/quote']

Yes but again that's making an assumption that just anyone is going to be locked up....

Guest tv tanned

From Hansard

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm051109/debtext/51109-11.htm#51109-11_spnew10

Clare Short: I want to take my right hon. Friend back to the point about interviewing a person who has been charged already. My understanding is that, under existing arrangements, if new and significant evidence becomes available, it is possible for the police to apply to re-interview. Is that not the case? Does that not cast some doubt on the case for 90 days?

Mr. Clarke: I do not think that it casts any doubt whatever on the case for 90 days, but my right hon. Friend stated the situation quite correctly. I have just checked with my colleagues

t is interesting to note that the Northern Irish MPs' date=' to a man, voted against the proposals after relaying their experience of internment which acted as a recruiting sergeant for the IRA. Those who ignore the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them.[/quote']

I was just about to bring this up - internment didn't work, it did nothing but strengthen the resolve of the IRA - heck, look at the amount of monuments in Northern Ireland dedicated to the hunger strikers and you get the idea.

Yes' date=' me and two thirds of the whole country apparently. It's all our fault.

Incidentally, given that the 90-day rule was requested by the police, I'd guess that your suggestion of simply putting people under surveillance is a gross over-simpification of how the police should do their job. They asked for this because as things stand, they cant deal with the terror threat effectively.[/quote']

The policeman that advised the government on the 90 day internment thing just so happened to be the same guy who lied to us all about the Brazillian they shot in the underground station (oh my God, I'm quoting Claire Short). You want to take his side, be my guest.

And yes, two thirds of the country who think that international terrorism will be remotely curbed by internment are to blame. Someone already said it didn't work against the IRA (with Al-Qaeda being ever-so-slightly more potent than the IRA), the Americans are already doing it and it doesn't work for them. On top of that, the government haven't actually detained many people under the Anti-Terrorism, Crime & Security Act (my figures might be outdated now, but I think it's 17 people since 2001), which translates to - how the fuck can you cripple Al-Qaeda by detaining seventeen Arabs? Would we have been in a worse postition had those people not been arrested? No.

The thing that really pisses me off is all the people who go on about protecting our way of life from Al-Qaeda. What seems to be happening is that we're foiling Al-Qaeda's plans to destroy Western Civilisation/ values etc by DOING IT FOR THEM.

And 2/3s of the country back this.

Well done those men.

Three quick points:

First of all, 'the police' do not back this anymore than 'Britain' backed Blair in going to war. A representative body for chief police officers may agree with Blair, but that's no indication about how those on the front-line actually think, any more than asking the chief executives of McDonalds would determine how those at the till feel about their wages.

Secondly, I think it's a lot easier for people such as myself, and probably everybody else, to talk about someone being kept for up to 90 days because it's not actually going to happen to any of us, thanks to our cultural background. I doubt we'd be quite so blase about the possibility of this happening if we feared if might happen to us or our relatives.

Thirdly, without the 90 days, do you really think a potential bomber 'only' kept for 28 days will suddenly be let free to roam the streets? Of course not, if there's still suspicions he'll be closely monitored for suspicious activity, and the likelihood he'll do anything in those extra 62 days is non-existent.

A lot of this rests of the type of scaremongering that permeated the case for war, resting on negative 'What if we DON'T do anything type arguments', with extremes of what could happen, implying the guilt of those who don't agree. I find such moral rhetoric quite icky.