aberdeen-music

so, who's getting a 360?

framheim

i'm getting moist with anticipation for december the 2nd. i still can't decide which two games to get with my machine seeing as oblivion has been put back to next year now. i'm also slightly nervous about how many machines aberdeen stores will actually get.

so anyone else getting excited? what games you guys gonna get? any essential accessories? is anyone actually going to buy a core system?

please don't turn this thread into a sony v microsoft argument, sony will have their day in 2007 when the ps3 finally turns up :D

I'm just gonna wait for the ps3. I don't want this to be the catalyst to a Microsoft Vs Sony thread, but various magazines and reviews have said that the ps3 will inevitably be better with processor power and all that blah blah stuff.

No-one quote me and start arguing about what I said, or you'll take away what the thread is about.

So to reiterate. No.

i think only time will tell about the ps3's power over the 360 so no real point arguing about what we don't know eh?

personally i'm just excited about the first next gen console coming out. been looking at screens of all the games this afternoon and getting affy excited. it's a toss up between condemned, gears of war, perfect dark zero, GUN and kameo. can't decide which two though.

I'm just gonna wait for the ps3. I don't want this to be the catalyst to a Microsoft Vs Sony thread' date=' but various magazines and reviews have said that the ps3 will inevitably be better with processor power and all that blah blah stuff.[/quote']

Agreed. I think the estimates show that the ps3 will be twice as fast as the 360 (2.2 Terraflops or something). I'm getting the feeling that Microsoft are about to do what Sega did with the Dreamcast.

Perhaps they are releasing the 360 early because they know they will be outdone by the ps3 and want to get at least some early sales. (This was a suggestion by a mate of mine so don't have a go).

I'm going to wait for the ps3 and I'm probably going to get a ps3 also.

Agreed. I think the estimates show that the ps3 will be twice as fast as the 360 (2.2 Terraflops or something). I'm getting the feeling that Microsoft are about to do what Sega did with the Dreamcast.

Perhaps they are releasing the 360 early because they know they will be outdone by the ps3 and want to get at least some early sales. (This was a suggestion by a mate of mine so don't have a go).

I'm going to wait for the ps3 and I'm probably going to get a ps3 also.

key word there is estimate. we don't know what the ps3 can do yet so there's no point trying to pop our xbox bubble just now. wait till both consoles are out then we'll find out who the daddy is.

the 360 is not going to be a dreamcast, it's got too much support and interest to fail. it might not be as successful as they hope but it might even surpass expectations, who knows.

Hope you got one booked guys as if not itll be june before u can get ahold of the new 360 well so the sun..star and all the daily papers that NEVER tell porkies said....................

Plus aparently the released versionof the 360 in time for crimbo will have all MAJOR components missing .....what ever that actually means ................. (maybe u open the box and itll be empty bar a wee credit note to spend in june :rockon::rockon::rockon:

key word there is estimate. we don't know what the ps3 can do yet

the Playstation 3.

Sony stated in a press release that the backwards compatible Playstation 3 will combine cutting edge technologies including Cell, a 3.2 GHz IBM-Sony-Toshiba jointly developed processor, RSX, a 550MHz graphics processor co-developed by NVIDIA and SCEI and 256MB of XDR memory developed by Rambus. It will also use Sonys Blu-ray Disc ROM (BD-ROM), which has maximum storage capacity of 54GB (dual layer), to deliver entertainment content in full HD quality. The PS3 will support resolution of 1080p as standard.

360 HardwareSpec:

1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG photo CD

2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing

3. Customizable face plates to change appearance

4. 3 USB 2.0 ports

5. Support for 4 wireless controllers

6. Detachable 40GB drive

7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each

- 2 hardware threads per core

- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core

- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance

- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

- 500 MHz

- 10 MB embedded DRAM

- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines

- unified shader architecture

Memory

-512 MB GDDR3 RAM

- 700 MHz DDR

Memory Bandwidth

- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth

- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM

- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio

- Mulitchannel surround sound output

- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio

- 320 independent decompression channels

- 32 bit processing

- 256+ audio channel

Hope you got one booked guys as if not itll be june before u can get ahold of the new 360 well so the sun..star and all the daily papers that NEVER tell porkies....................

Plus aparently the released version in time for crimbo will have all MAJOR components missing .....what ever that actually means ................. (maybe u open the box and itll be empty bar a wee credit note to spend in june :rockon::rockon::rockon:

heh, yea those rumours started filtering through to Game the other day. load of crap to be honest. microsoft have just announced their sales forecasts for the first 3 months of launch which is 3 million machines and they'll never make that if they're out of stock till june. they wouldn't launch a major console with major components missing either, it would be a pr disaster for microsoft.

they will be hard to get over christmas but if you've ordered one then you should get one before christmas. hopefully :)

I will be getting an xbox360, but not until at leats when the ps3 is released, there aren't enough games to convince me to buy it at the stupid 'early adopter' prices, especially when it's a given the price will drop by quite a bit when the competition arrives.

The only xbox360 game that's really got me excited so far is the new elder scrolls game.

I know the FF online game is scheduled for the 360, but will any other final fantasy games be released on it, or will they all be ps3 only titles?

i don't think the price will drop for a while. the ps3 is rumoured to be coming out nearer the 400 mark and there'll be no reason for microsoft to drop the price until at least 2 christmas' from now unless it's a total flop.

the price's at the moment are very reasonable for what you get. you also save a fair bit by buying the premium pack.

I just bought Radiant Silvergun, I don't care!

I'll probably get a 360 in 4 years time for 60, same as I did with the Xbox. Maybe then there'll be some decent games out for it. [*cough* - rushed for release - *cough*]

why is everone arguing over these to machines?

look the matter of fact is do you really REALLY think bill gates (with his endless (really!) money supply) will ever be out done buy Sony (buy anyone?)? he conqured the PC world, why not the gameing world? the guys a legend and you bet your ass am getting one. cant wait for the new morrowind!!!

I will be getting an xbox360' date=' but not until at leats when the ps3 is released, there aren't enough games to convince me to buy it at the stupid 'early adopter' prices, especially when it's a given the price will drop by quite a bit when the competition arrives.[/quote']

Agreed, not to mention most great console games don't come out until about a year after the console is released, much prefer to wait until then and get the price drop as well.

What, create a console that has (arguably) some of the greatest games ever released but is generally ignored by the public? :D

I very much doubt it, Microsoft has a pretty loyal fanbase by now (no Mega CD's or Saturns to destroy their reputation) and as Chi 666 says, they have the money to make mistakes.

The big thing with this is that they've got such a big head start over Sony - people are going to want "tomorrow, today" and if the Xbox 360 is the only choice, they'll buy it.

The interesting thing is if the Revolution gets released at the same sort of time as the PS3 AND if it gets killer reviews. Performance isn't everything - if it's a case that the Revolution is 150 versus 400 for the PS3, things will definitely be interesting.