aberdeen-music

Recommend me a guitar.....

Monk Rocker

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to have an ESP. They seem to be uber popular at the moment although' date=' is that just hype/good advertising?[/quote']

I'm on my second and they've both been fantastic. The Hybrid I've got just now will do anything I want it to do. It's almost my perfect guitar (wouldn't mind putting proper seymour duncans in instead of the duncan designed ones it's got just now).

They've set they're sights on a particular section of the guitar market and gone for it big style with the products and the artists they're getting to promote them. And on top of that they produce some of the best alternative fender and gibson models on the market and a couple of other special ones to blur the lines (like my hybrid).

My two cents to everyone:

You WILL get exactly what you pay for if you spend x-amount of money on a guitar' date=' or any piece of musical equipment. I have never encountered a situation where this is not true. A 250 guitar will sound and play like exactly that, although maybe you won't realise that until you play and get used to one that costs 2, 3 or 4 times as much.

Finally, arguing 'who is the better guitarist' is retarded - especially when you probably haven't heard each other play.[/quote']

TO your first comment, very ture I agree - but if you look to see the difference between the 250 Ibanez and the 600 Ibanez, it will be the following: Pickups, Wood, Trem Quality.

Now, for me, I'd rather buy the 250 Ibanez, buy 2 DiMarzio Evolutions (or whatever pup u like) and stick them in - you instantly have a guitar as good as the 600 for not more than 400.

With electrics, wood doesn't make a huge difference, it does make a difference - but even the Ibanez low budget guitars are quality workmanship. THe trems on them are really good too - granted the 1570 trem is better than the 370 trem, but not 200 better...

Secondly, you have heard Gregor play and will know that Ambientmood is infact wrong on this occaison.

However put EMG's on a 600 guitar rather than a 250 one... and although the sound won't be THAT different' date=' the more expensive guitar will still play a lot better etc etc as the hardware used on it will be of a better quality.[/quote']

The "playability" mainly comes from the neck design I'd say, and taking Ibanez as an example again the necks are fairly consistently amazing throughout... the thin wizard neck is not for everyone - but for those who like it, going back to a fat bastard strat neck is blasphemy.

For Shred, Ibanez necks are nothing short of miraculous, ESPs are also great - but do come in 2nd to Ibanez...

IMHO!

Regarding Amps id say Marshall come out on top most of the time' date=' that or Line 6. [/quote']

Hmmm.... I think that is a tad of an optimistic thing to say.

I would say Marshalls are definitely the way to go for beginner/intermediate guitarists as they are affordable, decent quality, and have a good reputation.

I have owned only Marshalls up until 2 weeks ago, and they are great but I doubt there are many guitarists out there who own a marshall that wouldn't want something better, given the opportunity? (unless they own, say, a hotrodded JCM800).

Other than Mesa's and Peavey's - the amps that come out 'top most of the time' are the ones that most people aren't that familiar with; Bognor/Soldano/VHT etc etc.

Athough, having said that you can't go to far wrong with a marshall (as long as it isn't one of that AVT series. Horrible amplifiers)

Fuck off! Gregor is an idiot. Seriously' date=' it makes me sick to the stomach getting Pm'd insults from such retards. These Ascension chaps don't have a clue. I mean that, they are the lowest of low. Its really quite laughable how people like you can strung along with them just to have a go, not realising how dumb you consistently make yourself look. Maybe Gregor can 'shred,' but can he actually do something remotely worthwhile, meaningful or enjoyable to anyone other than other cocks who are strung into the same 'niche' as himself? Just remember you are backing up a greasy metalhead half-wit against a very musically active and open minded person here.[/quote']

What don't "the Ascension chaps" have a clue about Dr. Dickhead??

Just because we thought your mp3 "I am Gaydar Radar" or whatever was a hunk of shite, and now your ignorant comments showing your lack of understanding - and thusly ability to constructively contribute to this thread, also being shite - no need to be a pissy pants.

Just buck up, leave the thread for others to comment on and go back to programming your Fisherprice "mY fIrSt SyNtHeSiSeR !!!111 LOL!!11! ROFL ROFL!11!"!

Cheers.

What don't "the Ascension chaps" have a clue about Dr. Dickhead??

Just because we thought your mp3 "I am Gaydar Radar" or whatever was a hunk of shite' date=' and now your ignorant comments showing your lack of understanding - and thusly ability to constructively contribute to this thread, also being shite - no need to be a pissy pants.

Just buck up, leave the thread for others to comment on and go back to programming your Fisherprice "mY fIrSt SyNtHeSiSeR !!!111 LOL!!11! ROFL ROFL!11!"!

Cheers.[/quote']

You'll notice AmbientMood and Gregor areboth now banned from this site, for doing exactly what you've just done. Everyone is fed up with the petty rubbish spewing from their mouths and to be honest you're not much better. Please stop posting replies as above or you'll also find yourself no longer welcome on this site.

Hmmm.... I think that is a tad of an optimistic thing to say.

I would say Marshalls are definitely the way to go for beginner/intermediate guitarists as they are affordable' date=' decent quality, and have a good reputation.

I have owned only Marshalls up until 2 weeks ago, and they are great but I doubt there are many guitarists out there who own a marshall that wouldn't want something better, given the opportunity? (unless they own, say, a hotrodded JCM800).

Other than Mesa's and Peavey's - the amps that come out 'top most of the time' are the ones that most people aren't that familiar with; Bognor/Soldano/VHT etc etc.

Athough, having said that you can't go to far wrong with a marshall (as long as it isn't one of that AVT series. Horrible amplifiers)[/quote']

Im one of those who just doesn't fit in with Marshall amps at all. Granted they are good value and everything but they really don't fit with my style of play, the tone is too dead and they have totally unspectacular clean channels - since I mostly use effects this is a no no...

The dist. sounds aint too bad but again not suited to me - I have a H&K half stack with an amazing clean channel and its probably around the same price as a same level marshall. It just seems that most people go for them immediately without thinking - there are so many more options but people can't see past the name!

The dist. sounds aint too bad but again not suited to me - I have a H&K half stack with an amazing clean channel and its probably around the same price as a same level marshall. It just seems that most people go for them immediately without thinking - there are so many more options but people can't see past the name!

Which model H&K do you have?

With all amps from marshalls to H&K and everything either side, cost again comes into factor here i.e. there are marshall's that will be infinitely 'better' than some H&K's due to which model it is, and vice versa. However to say H&K is better than Marshall as a rule of thumb is pretty redundant... especially if you were to look at the number of pro players that use marshalls! Like guitars, and music itself - this is a pretty subjective topic.

The H&K tri-amp MK II was on my list of potential amps recently, but there were a few more I would have rather gone for. Still - a pretty impressive piece of gear.

Just the H&K Vortex, nothing fancy - just good solid state power. The main reason I bought it was for the amazing power/volume output and the perfect clean channel.

I run a Boss GT-8 into it, so I have no use for the distortion on the amp - compare this to the cheap Marshall Stacks, which have slightly better dist, but a horrible clean channel - esp at high volumes. I have never liked the clean channels on the Marshalls I've plaed - is this just a Marshall thing?

What amp you playing atm? THe top line H&K's are great but for the money I'd rather go for a Randall/ENGL or soemthing like that...

ESPs tele copies are Ronnie Wood signature models. Even the stones like ESP.

In the ESP American range - yes you are correct, but the model that Devin uses is actually not a Ron Wood sig. but a normal ESP Tele from the Original Series available to Japan only.

Hog: You MUST buy an ESP! I have a Custom Shop Gibson, a one off Moon Explorer, and the ESP rips both to shreds! It plays superbly and the range they have will more than cover you for whatever you desire!

If you are interested in buying an ESP, talk to me about it, only one shop locally sells them, and I happen to work there part time and I'm the local ESP Whore :D

To whoever spoke about the cost of a guitar not making much of a difference - Bollocks! You can tell a mile off I think, and if not, you will when you develop a better ear.

Cheers guys, James

I run a Boss GT-8 into it' date=' so I have no use for the distortion on the amp - compare this to the cheap Marshall Stacks, which have slightly better dist, but a horrible clean channel - esp at high volumes. I have never liked the clean channels on the Marshalls I've plaed - is this just a Marshall thing?[/quote']

I had the Marshall JCM2000 for best part of a couple of years... the clean sound was actually really nice with the gain reduced greatly, and the volume boosted to make up for it. Treble set at 6, Mids at 3 and Bass at 9 as well - although EMG 85/Gibson neck pick up may have helped... However, if you don't do any of that, it does have the potential to crack up a little at high volumes.

What amp you playing atm? THe top line H&K's are great but for the money I'd rather go for a Randall/ENGL or soemthing like that...

As Mac says - I am the lucky, proud and extremely happy owner of a Diezel VH4 :D

ouch that's a mean lookin' SOB.

What cab do you use it with?

haha, Hog was close in that it says Marshall on the front!

It's a 1960 lead 4x12.

May eventually get a Mesa cab, although they are 900 and fucking heavy... and there's no guarantee that it would sound any better! (in fact i used a mesa cab at the SECC and it didn't actually make much difference)

Dan (forgot to log out. Again)

as you might have guessed' date=' i play a (fucking ace) Gibson V Voodoo (999) , with a peavy half stak. [b']and sorry boyz but that rig Kicks the shit out of anything. Super Shread.

Hog you saw it, what you think??

:cheers::cheers:

When I get gigging, I'll try get a gig sorted with SOM and I'll let you hear my ESP KH-2 Neck Thru into my Mesa, your opinion will soon change. Maybe you won't like it too much, but you'll see that the Peavey doesn't infact kick the shit out of anything :D

Hog, buy an ESP, you know you want to. You can try my KH-2 NT some time and see why! :up:

as you might have guessed' date=' i play a (fucking ace) Gibson V Voodoo (999) , with a peavy half stak. and sorry boyz but that rig Kicks the shit out of anything. Super Shread.

Hog you saw it, what you think??

:cheers::cheers:[/quote']

Wait till you see my Ibanez GAX70, then you will change your mind. :D