aberdeen-music

Recommend me a guitar.....

Monk Rocker

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hog my friend' date=' you've been watching 'Short Circuit' too much! I know who you mean though Hog (John 5, Marilyn Manson's guitarist)!

Devin uses an awesome ESP Tele copy, sounds great! He also uses ESP MX-250 II's and ESP EXs, and Stephen Carpenter signature Horizons.[/quote']

Your knowledge impresses me! :rockon:

Yeah Johnny 5 is one serious shredder. I can string skip the same speed as him but that is it :O

lmao!!!!!! saying Gregor plays at beginner level is just one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard.

Im the vocalist in Ascension and i can tell you right now, Gregor is one of the best guitar players i have ever heard play! and ill also agree with his comment on the ibanez. you should hear some of the amazing Shredage come out of his ibanez...ive only been playing for about 6 years or so and i play an Epiphone Les paul....i cant shred on it, i doubt i could shred at all lol. but yeah...dont challenge gregor to a guitar-off...he will wipe the window with your ass.

lmao!!!!!! saying Gregor plays at beginner level is just one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard.

Im the vocalist in Ascension and i can tell you right now' date=' Gregor is one of the best guitar players i have ever heard play! and ill also agree with his comment on the ibanez. you should hear some of the amazing Shredage come out of his ibanez...ive only been playing for about 6 years or so and i play an Epiphone Les paul....i cant shred on it, i doubt i could shred at all lol. but yeah...dont challenge gregor to a guitar-off...he will wipe the window with your ass.[/quote']

enough already. no-one really cares except ascension and ambient mood.

stick to the topic or don't post in the thread.

My two cents to everyone:

You WILL get exactly what you pay for if you spend x-amount of money on a guitar, or any piece of musical equipment. I have never encountered a situation where this is not true. A 250 guitar will sound and play like exactly that, although maybe you won't realise that until you play and get used to one that costs 2, 3 or 4 times as much.

Secondly, you don't need 'mummy and daddy's money' (stupid comment) to afford good equipment. Fucking WORK for it. Give up beer/ burgers or whatever...

Finally, arguing 'who is the better guitarist' is retarded - especially when you probably haven't heard each other play.

Cheers for the advice so far!! I'm not too keen on the strat as I already have one. The neck on my Les Paul is super nice' date=' but no whammy bar and access to the top 5 frets is pretty tricky!!

How different are the floyd rose licensed trems to the real deal? And what are the thoughts on the trems on the Ibanez S-series? I quite like them......

Pups can be replaced if need be so not really too much of a concern as long as the guitar is decent quality.....[/quote']

I own an Ibanez RG7620-7 string guitar. It is a bit of a monster for shredding. The pickups have a mid-cut (ok providing you make up for it by increasing the mids on the amp).

You like your neck on a Les Pau?. Les Pauls are shorter scale guitars than Strats or Ibanez, they also have thicker and rounder necks. If you want a thick and round neck an ESP or Jackson might be your best bet for shredding as they do guitars with a selection of necks, usually not as thin as Ibanez.

Ibanez necks are usually exceptionally thin, which is what I like but if you like the les paul style neck that is probably not your best bet.

I still think the best value guitar out there is Ibanez RG550 off ebay for ~250 then replace the pickups with ones of your choice, DiMarzio's being my first choice for lead guitar and shredding.

The Floyd Rose? They wiill confuse you at first. Do not try to do anything to it yourself before reading up about how they work www.ibanezrules.com is a good source of guidence on how to setup your floyd rose guitar. I still haven't managed to setup my guitar properly. One reason for this is the workings for the nut are worn down to adjust the intonation of my low B (i bought it second hand). I haven't got round to ordering a new nut for there yet. Shouldn't be that big a job to setup once i get a new one, probably take the best part of a weekend though.

I have played a number of guitars with differnet floyd roses. There is some differences between them but they are usually not that great. Some stay in tune marjinally better than others but I wouldn't base buying a guitar upon this too much. The Edge trems (found on some Ibanez guitars) have a special tool to set the intonation.

Strats are super easy to setup. That is one advantage of them. A new set of pickups or a new amp (or pedal) might be a better option for shredding. The Yngwie Pickups DiMarzio HS-2(bridge) and YJM (centre and neck) seem the obvious choice for shredding on a strat. There are many other options though.

You WILL get exactly what you pay for if you spend x-amount of money on a guitar' date=' or any piece of musical equipment. I have never encountered a situation where this is not true. A 250 guitar will sound and play like exactly that, although maybe you won't realise that until you play and get used to one that costs 2, 3 or 4 times as much.[/quote']

I don't buy this idea. Some guitars are conciderably better value than others.

Depending on the type of pickups you use, a large quantity of the tone is going to come from your pickups (possibly the vast majority of it). Some pickups capture the sound of your wood more than others but I am told that EMG's mainly capture the sound of the pickups (if anyone wants to prove me wrong, go ahead). DiMarzios sound quite different whether they are put on Alder, Basswood or Mahogony but the difference is not that immense. My experience with Seymour Duncans is limited but I think highly of them, apart from the fact they tend to be more expensive, Maybe not your best bet for shred though.

Back to my original point, an Ibanez RG550 with DiMarzio PAF Pro and Fred pickups will sound remarkably like a JS1000 due to having the same pickups and wood even though the guitar costs 2-3 times as much.

Guest Gregor Ascension

You WILL get exactly what you pay for if you spend x-amount of money on a guitar' date=' or any piece of musical equipment. I have never encountered a situation where this is not true. A 250 guitar will sound and play like exactly that, although maybe you won't realise that until you play and get used to one that costs 2, 3 or 4 times as much.

Secondly, you don't need 'mummy and daddy's money' (stupid comment) to afford good equipment. Fucking WORK for it. Give up beer/ burgers or whatever...

Finally, arguing 'who is the better guitarist' is retarded - especially when you probably haven't heard each other play.[/quote']

well, i have heard ambientmood's guitar playing, so your last comment is void.

so what if i have a 250 ibanez? id say that it is just as good as my Jackson dxmg, which cost twice as much. i think people are forgeting that you can have all the tools, and still be shit. work for it? i dont imagine spending a months wages or whatever on a guitar, when you can get something that does the job with equal effectiveness for a fraction of the price.

I don't buy this idea. Some guitars are conciderably better value than others.

Depending on the type of pickups you use' date=' a large quantity of the tone is going to come from your pickups (possibly the vast majority of it). Some pickups capture the sound of your wood more than others but I am told that EMG's mainly capture the sound of the pickups (if anyone wants to prove me wrong, go ahead). DiMarzios sound quite different whether they are put on Alder, Basswood or Mahogony but the difference is not that immense. My experience with Seymour Duncans is limited but I think highly of them, apart from the fact they tend to be more expensive, Maybe not your best bet for shred though.

[/quote']

Well two of my guitars have EMG pick-ups and I am very happy with them.

However put EMG's on a 600 guitar rather than a 250 one... and although the sound won't be THAT different, the more expensive guitar will still play a lot better etc etc as the hardware used on it will be of a better quality.

i dont imagine spending a months wages or whatever on a guitar' date=' when you can get something that does the job with equal effectiveness for a fraction of the price.[/quote']

What about amps then? Would you be prepared to shell out more for an amp? Amps to me are even more extreme than guitars, in the sense that the more you pay, the better you get.

Guest Gregor Ascension

that is true, but i dont just look for the most expensive amp there is, and automaticly assume it is the best, or that i have to get. the trick is to find a cost effective amp, thaqt granted wont sound as good, but will still allow you to generate the sound you need.

Guest DustyDeviada

Les Pauls are shorter scale guitars than Strats or Ibanez' date=' they also have thicker and rounder necks. [/quote']

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you do get Les Pauls with thin necks.

Back in the day they started making the necks a lot thinner from about 1960 onwards, and nowadays Gibsons typically come with either a 50s (reasonably fat) or 60s (thin) neck. My 54 reissue has a huge neck, and I like it.

As for the cheap vs. expensive debate I say if you are happy with a cheap guitar, good for you. However, I guess a lot of people on here don't actually realise what may make a guitar expensive.

For example, many people probably do not realise that an Epiphone Les Paul is made of plywood and a Gibson is made of solid tonewoods, or that a cheaper Gibson Les Paul, say a Classic, may have a back made from 2 or 3 pieces of wood whereas the custom shop models are always one piece, or that an Epiphone & most Fenders have a "poly" finish whereas Gibsons have a nitro finish which is much costlier to apply.

Furthermore they may not care. Good for them. But when you know about these things, and you think they make a difference, then you find that you will start making sacrifices so that you can afford to buy the best.

Secondly' date=' you don't need 'mummy and daddy's money' (stupid comment) to afford good equipment. Fucking WORK for it. Give up beer/ burgers or whatever...[/quote']

Most people I know have done exactly that, just a couple (AmbientMood strikes me as being one of those people) of people I've known have had expensive as fuck guitars bought for them when their ability is laughable compared to people who have actually put the effort into working/saving/etc for it.

I'm after a guitar for shredding. Must have a whammy bar. Suggestions please!!

Deans are fucking awesome,iv barely touched another guitar since i got my dean ML79 with floyd rose may i add,im after a Jackson Xseries king V now but their a bit more expensive with floyd rose,plus floyds can get annoying sometimes.

As for the cheap vs. expensive debate I say if you are happy with a cheap guitar' date=' good for you. However, I guess a lot of people on here don't actually realise what may make a guitar expensive.

For example, many people probably do not realise that an Epiphone Les Paul is made of plywood and a Gibson is made of solid tonewoods, or that a cheaper Gibson Les Paul, say a Classic, may have a back made from 2 or 3 pieces of wood whereas the custom shop models are always one piece, or that an Epiphone & most Fenders have a "poly" finish whereas Gibsons have a nitro finish which is much costlier to apply.

Furthermore they may not care. Good for them. But when you know about these things, and you think they make a difference, then you find that you will start making sacrifices so that you can afford to buy the best.[/quote']

This is a better way of saying exactly what I thought. Thanks Dusty :)

that is true' date=' but i dont just look for the most expensive amp there is, and automaticly assume it is the best, or that i have to get. the trick is to find a cost effective amp, thaqt granted wont sound as good, but will still allow you to generate the sound you need.[/quote']

Although I do agree that it is a little stupid to just 'buy the most expensive thing there is'... I disagree entirely that the trick is to buy the most 'cost effective' equipment - unless you are a complete beginner or on a very tight budget.

I would say try out as much as you can and when you have found the one you like the most (assuming it isn't WAY out of your budget) work/earn/save up for it!

EDIT: Fuck it - if your parents are minted then let them buy it for you! Who cares. If you're a shit guitarist with amazing equipment then it will still shine through that you're shit. So it doesn't really matter.

Fuck it - if your parents are minted then let them buy it for you! Who cares. If you're a shit guitarist with amazing equipment then it will still shine through that you're shit. So it doesn't really matter.

I kinda agree with this. Although it can be infuriating if you started off on squire strats and the cheapest park amp (could've been worse, could've had the encore starter pack from argos), you can't really begrudge someone just because they're lucky enough to have parents who can afford to buy brand new Ibanez, ESP or Gibson guitars for them to play. Fair play to their folks for being willing to shell out for them.

And as Dan said at the end of the day they still have to work at their playing and get good, otherwise they'll be found out.

Guest AmbientMood
Most people I know have done exactly that' date=' just a couple (AmbientMood strikes me as being one of those people) of people I've known have had expensive as fuck guitars bought for them when their ability is laughable compared to people who have actually put the effort into working/saving/etc for it.[/quote']

Fuck off! Gregor is an idiot. Seriously, it makes me sick to the stomach getting Pm'd insults from such retards. These Ascension chaps don't have a clue. I mean that, they are the lowest of low. Its really quite laughable how people like you can strung along with them just to have a go, not realising how dumb you consistently make yourself look. Maybe Gregor can 'shred,' but can he actually do something remotely worthwhile, meaningful or enjoyable to anyone other than other cocks who are strung into the same 'niche' as himself? Just remember you are backing up a greasy metalhead half-wit against a very musically active and open minded person here.

i would say im more of an high-Intermediate player, ive played for about 5 or 6 years but still got a long way to go. but i do know my guitars, and id vote for Jackson being premo for shredding ( as long as you actually have some skill ) there not much different from Ibanez at all really...i remember borrowing my brothers jackson for a while ( cant remember the make exactly )...i didnt want to give it back to him. being the poor bugger i am i have to settle for my Epiphone Les paul :( which is shorter scale.

Regarding Amps id say Marshall come out on top most of the time, that or Line 6. for home practice i play through an MG30DFX and it sounds great! but i couldnt play without my Effects pedal, which i think EVERY guitar player should own, especially for shredding because sometimes you can find a lot of amazing effects on your pedal, which will make your shredding sound awesome! especially when compared with the sort of Overdrive you get from just clicking in a little black button on your amp.

Fuck off! Gregor is an idiot. Seriously' date=' it makes me sick to the stomach getting Pm'd insults from such retards. These Ascension chaps don't have a clue. I mean that, they are the lowest of low. Its really quite laughable how people like you can strung along with them just to have a go, not realising how dumb you consistently make yourself look. Maybe Gregor can 'shred,' but can he actually do something remotely worthwhile, meaningful or enjoyable to anyone other than other cocks who are strung into the same 'niche' as himself? Just remember you are backing up a greasy metalhead half-wit against a very musically active and open minded person here.[/quote']

Nobody really cares anymore...but i would ask you not to associate you and gregors situation with the whole of Ascension.