aberdeen-music

Recommend me a guitar.....

Monk Rocker

Guest AmbientMood
Oh my god' date=' I think this is a contender for the most ignorant, idiotic and stupidly funny posts of the century.

Utterly fantastic level of stupidiy...I'd gladly pay to see you have a guitar battle with Gregor - hope you bring tissues to dry the tears away you silly little boy[/quote']

Granted that speed would have little bearing on showing the overall talent of a musician, right? you knew that yeah? I'd probably would cry on hearing Gregor making in-audible squeals from an overdriven 250 lump of shit.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AmbientMood

Twats.

My contributution was perfectly valuable and you have managed to turn this into a ridiculous 'challenge' situation. I genuinely believe that 'super-strat' guitars are over-hyped pieces of fire-wood, particularly at the low-end of the market. You will have to pay a lot more to get quality with them

Nah, em...like the difference between Noel (Oasis) and Steve Vai.

not much of a comparison - Noel's guitar playing is exactly what is needed for a worthy, plodding pub-rock band, whereas I'm sure Vai's "technical ability" is just dandy for all the fans of his odd oeuvre.

it's like comparing Bert Jansch to Kirk Hammett,

or Matt Bellamy to Alvin Lee

or George Harrison to Omar Rodriguez

all of the above can play guitar but I'd hesitate to start deciding who was the "best", or who had the most "technical ability".

y'see?

AKM

My point was that Strats' date=' in particular Strat Pluses, are uniquely versatile. A 250 Ibanez makes me sick. The necks on those things are disgusting, they give me constipation, especially at the beginner level you are talking about (and playing at, no doubt) they will cause you years of floyd rose grief and failed sales attempts.

My Strat is an extension of my body when I play it. The Ibanez 'speed playing' thing is bullshit, and you bought it and still believe it. Like a sucker, a stupid mug.

Guitar playing doesn't get much better than this!

And heres mine

But he's not looking for versatility, he's looking for a "shred guitar" , and Ibanez quite frankly come out top. Look at almost any famous shredder, and you'll find that Ibanez is their choice of axe. I personally hate strats. Weak tone, and I don't know where you're getting versatile from....

Andy

But he's not looking for versatility' date=' he's looking for a "shred guitar" , and Ibanez quite frankly come out top. Look at almost any famous shredder, and you'll find that Ibanez is their choice of axe. I personally hate strats. Weak tone, and I don't know where you're getting versatile from....

Andy[/quote']

Personally I rate ESPs a lot higher than Ibanez, especially at the moment. Look at their list of artists. They're by far the most popular metal guitars just now. They even persuaded Mustaine to make the switch from Jackson.

I like Ibanez guitars as well but you should definitely consider ESP as well.

Oh and I own a 250 Ibanez and while it's nice, it still has the quality and sound of a 250 guitar. Money can't buy you love but it'll get you a much better guitar.

Personally I rate ESPs a lot higher than Ibanez' date=' especially at the moment. Look at their list of artists. They're by far the most popular metal guitars just now. They even persuaded Mustaine to make the switch from Jackson.

I like Ibanez guitars as well but you should definitely consider ESP as well.

Oh and I own a 250 Ibanez and while it's nice, it still has the quality and sound of a 250 guitar. Money can't buy you love but it'll get you a much better guitar.[/quote']

I like ESP. I've tried out a few that I really like. I guess I just really like the SZ series Ibanez that I have. It's just perfect for what I need from a guitar. Anything from blues, to ballsy rock, to heavy metal, and I've never encountered another guitar which suits me any better. :D

Andy

Twats.

My contributution was perfectly valuable and you have managed to turn this into a ridiculous 'challenge' situation. I genuinely believe that 'super-strat' guitars are over-hyped pieces of fire-wood' date=' particularly at the low-end of the market. You will have to pay a lot more to get quality with them[/quote']

And sometimes people can't afford to be spending serious amounts of mummy and daddy's money just to get a quality guitar - especially when a 250 guitar might do their job perfectly.

Anyway, how would such a challenge be judged? I'd say get a room full of people, get them to play on opposite sides of the room, draw a line down the middle, and see what side has the most people on after say...10 minutes of playing? sounds fair to me :)

There's a question : off the top of anyone's heads, can anyone think of metal guitar players that use strats? I can't think of any, but i'm tired :(

Fuck, the One video, I knew i'd seen one being used somewhere...

Maiden count though in terms of being metal :p

To be honest, my impresion is that you can use any guitar for anything as long as you have the style and ability to pull it off. With the advances in technology, you can probably make any guitar sound like any other if you wanted anyway...

To be honest' date=' my impresion is that you can use any guitar for anything as long as you have the style and ability to pull it off.[/quote']

To an extent that's true but there's obvious limits with tone and gain that some guitars will have. Which is why there is a market for fast, high gain guitars like Ibanez, ESP and Jackson.

High gain active pickups, fast necks and floyd rose trems all make it easier to get fast, accurate and heavy playing.

Fuck' date=' the One video, I knew i'd seen one being used somewhere...

Maiden count though in terms of being metal :p

To be honest, my impresion is that you can use any guitar for anything as long as you have the style and ability to pull it off. With the advances in technology, you can probably make any guitar sound like any other if you wanted anyway...[/quote']

Is it in a nutshell really. But in general certain guitars carry a reputation for excellence in various niches. But really it's down to what works for you. I love ballsy rock n' roll, but Les Pauls just don't do it for me, my Ibanez suits me better. :rockon:

Andy

'super-strat' guitars are over-hyped pieces of fire-wood

I just lost all respect I ever had for your opinion. :down:

Regarding the 'One' video, it's an ESP Strat copy (better known as an ESP Vintage Plus) that Kirk uses. Since the Justice tour though, he's been using various Super Strats, which - AmbientMood - do the job perfectly as a good super strat is hard to beat for what it's needed for!

Guest AmbientMood
And sometimes people can't afford to be spending serious amounts of mummy and daddy's money just to get a quality guitar

What a ridiculous comment, you are such a tool. That bears no relevance on this discussion what so ever as you have no idea of my financial background.

I have a jackson kelly, which plays very well and would be suitable for 'shred' (if i could play that fast) but the only problem is the last two frets are quite hard to reach.

Also both marty friedman and the guy from motorhead play these.

Johnny 5 is a seriously talented shredder who uses Telecasters. Devin Townsend also uses a tele with EMG humbuckers for semi shredness from time to time.

Hog my friend, you've been watching 'Short Circuit' too much! I know who you mean though Hog (John 5, Marilyn Manson's guitarist)!

Devin uses an awesome ESP Tele copy, sounds great! He also uses ESP MX-250 II's and ESP EXs, and Stephen Carpenter signature Horizons.