aberdeen-music

Recommend me a guitar.....

Monk Rocker

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AmbientMood

I recommend a Strat Plus. Like any normal strat its super versatile, you can play anything on these babies, you get great tone for any style of playing. lace-sensor pickups (which.kick.arse) decent trem, not quite a floyd but looks cooler - can still do 'divebombs' if you must and it even stays in tune if you break a string.

you can pick one up on ebay for about 600 tops, since I bought mine I've never touched the piece of shit Ibanez I bought in RnB for practically the same price. they are generally seen as the best strats before you get into custom shop.

Guest Gregor Ascension
I recommend a Strat Plus. Like any normal strat its super versatile' date=' you can play anything on these babies, you get great tone for any style of playing. lace-sensor pickups (which.kick.arse) decent trem, not quite a floyd but looks cooler - can still do 'divebombs' if you must and it even stays in tune if you break a string.

you can pick one up on ebay for about 600 tops, since I bought mine I've never touched the piece of shit Ibanez I bought in RnB for practically the same price. they are generally seen as the best strats before you get into custom shop.[/quote']

disagree. for SHREDING, you cant do better than an ibanez. i have a rg370dx, cost 250 and does the job better than a 1000 pound strat.

My 'shred' guitars are an ESP KH-2 Neck Thru and an Ibanez RGTHGR1 Giger RG. Both have lovely fast and thin necks and just seem so smooth to play. The ESP has an Original Floyd Rose bridge which is just brilliant, much better than the shitty Licensed Floyds. This thing actually holds tune after abuse.

Best thing to do is play the guitars you think would do the job, then go for the one you prefer! I find that jumbo sized frets are handy too as you get good harmonics out :D

Guest AmbientMood
disagree. for SHREDING' date=' you cant do better than an ibanez. i have a rg370dx, cost 250 and does the job better than a 1000 pound strat.[/quote']

My point was that Strats, in particular Strat Pluses, are uniquely versatile. A 250 Ibanez makes me sick. The necks on those things are disgusting, they give me constipation, especially at the beginner level you are talking about (and playing at, no doubt) they will cause you years of floyd rose grief and failed sales attempts.

My Strat is an extension of my body when I play it. The Ibanez 'speed playing' thing is bullshit, and you bought it and still believe it. Like a sucker, a stupid mug.

Guitar playing doesn't get much better than this!

And heres mine

they are generally seen as the best strats before you get into custom shop.

The Strat Plus is identical to the old American Standard Strat apart from the Lace Sensors and the LSR roller nut. I've spent a lot of time with a friends Plus and like it a lot but don't think it would be ideal for shred. The bridge pickup (even a red lead sensor) would be underpowered unless you had a series red/red dually setup in the bridge like the old Jeff Beck sig. The trem won't give you locking stability either though it is good.

I personally would rather have a Strat Plus than an Ibanez but I don't shred.

Guest Gregor Ascension
My point was that Strats' date=' in particular Strat Pluses, are uniquely versatile. A 250 Ibanez makes me sick. The necks on those things are disgusting, they give me constipation, especially at the beginner level you are talking about (and playing at, no doubt) they will cause you years of floyd rose grief and failed sales attempts.

My Strat is an extension of my body when I play it. The Ibanez 'speed playing' thing is bullshit, and you bought it and still believe it. Like a sucker, a stupid mug.

Guitar playing doesn't get much better than this!

And heres mine

i didnt want to get into a slagging match here, but you brought this on yourself. the one thing that you will hear time and time again is that ibanez necks are amazing for speed and precision playing. i personaly wouldnt touch a strat with a barge poll. just because it costs more, doesnt make it better, you fucking moron. the thing that is giving you constipation is your terrible playing, not the guitar you are playing. you are probably one of these people who buys all the gear before you learn to play good. absolute gobshite :nono:

on a final note, id be willing to compare guitar playing skills with you anyday, you little nooblet. why dont you record some of your playing for me to hear, because ive heard your other music, and its shit.

Cheers for the advice so far!! I'm not too keen on the strat as I already have one. The neck on my Les Paul is super nice, but no whammy bar and access to the top 5 frets is pretty tricky!!

How different are the floyd rose licensed trems to the real deal? And what are the thoughts on the trems on the Ibanez S-series? I quite like them......

Pups can be replaced if need be so not really too much of a concern as long as the guitar is decent quality.....

Guest DustyDeviada
The neck on my Les Paul is super nice' date=' but no whammy bar and access to the top 5 frets is pretty tricky!!

[/quote']

How about this Les Paul Doublecut with kahler trem then?

5_1024.ts1118249180000.jpg

Yeuch. ;)

Funnily enough the best guitar I have played for shredding on is a Gibson Explorer. the neck is superb on it. (no floyd rose though)

Andy, if budget isn't an issue... what about one of those john petrucci music man guitars?

They're built for shredding but also have enough of a metal edge compared to strats etc.

My point was that Strats' date=' in particular Strat Pluses, are uniquely versatile. A 250 Ibanez makes me sick. The necks on those things are disgusting, they give me constipation, especially at the beginner level you are talking about (and playing at, no doubt) they will cause you years of floyd rose grief and failed sales attempts.

[/quote']

Oh my god, I think this is a contender for the most ignorant, idiotic and stupidly funny posts of the century.

Utterly fantastic level of stupidiy...I'd gladly pay to see you have a guitar battle with Gregor - hope you bring tissues to dry the tears away you silly little boy