aberdeen-music

Jobs

Untitled

Just started my career as a graduate engineer. Starting salary is currently 23,000 per annum, which isn't great but it should rise to 30,000 after my rotations. I'm doing calculations, design specifications etc for oil and offshore components.

Advice to engineering under-grads: target companies like BP, Shell and Conaco Philips, if you're after the highest salaries (around 28k - 32k). However these companies have a very difficult recruitment process - so prepare in advance. My mate is now working for Conaco Philips and is on 32,000.

I'm thinking of doing an MBA in a few years time (anyone done one of these?). In your placement, you are pretty much guaranteed 1500 per week (or 78,000 per annum), providing you put in the effort.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that below the national minimum wage?

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/

Nope, 4.20 an hour is the rate for 18-21 year olds. Which is ace, because I get 5.50 an hour for being possibly the world's worst barman despite only being 20. It's great fun because it's so easy, and you get to laugh at people who order the strangest drinks. And of course, with the amount of people out of their face on pills last night, the tips were flowing in...

From memory, the minimum wage is also 3 for 16-18 year olds, which is a disgrace - especially as there is (or was) an exemption for people on apprenticeships.

(hey Connie, when do you work? I work downstairs from you now for the time being)

Nope' date=' 4.20 an hour is the rate for 18-21 year olds. [/quote']

From the link I posted in the message you replied to:

The development rate for 18-21 year olds. On 1 October 2005 rate of minimum wage was raised to 4.25 an hour, from 4.10.

So not only is it not 4.20 an hour, it's never been 4.20 an hour.

I must've misread the leaflet I read about it, I could've sworn it was 4.20...

My brain is frazzled from too much dance music last night :(

I do think the idea of seperate rates according to age is ridiculous though - I turned down a few jobs that were advertised at 5.50ish an hour, only to get told "oh, you're only 20, so we'll pay you 4.70"...not a chance.

My previous jobs, whilst at school and college, and beyond:

1984-1985 - Paperboy delivering The Aberdeen Citizen and Advertiser. Pay 1p per paper. Round of 200 papers per week = 2 per week. Yes it was a hard paper round.

1985 - Norco Culter branch. Norco stood for Nothern Co-operative. It was a supermarket. My job was stacking shelves, doing the checkout, using the price label gun (do they still have those) and breaking the cardboard boxes. The pay was 1.20 per hour. I lasted 2 weeks and got fired for being immature. I was 15 at the time.

1986 - Diak Pharmacy in Banchory. filling bottles with the right number of the right pills (a machine counts them). Breaking cardboard boxes flat for the scaffies. Working on the counter. Stacking nappies. Pay 1.87 per hour!!! That was serious money back then BTW.

1987 - The Wimpy Bar in union Street where Burger King is now. They employed me as a 'runner' but I kept falling over. They ascertained that I wasn't intelligent enough to make the burgers. I spent most of my time wiping tables, emptying bins, and going on litter pick. It was a bit like jail. I discovered the best way to survive was not to talk to anyone. After 3 months they thought I was a deaf mute, and spoke to me in hand signals. Then they accused me of faking my CV. Pay 1.58 per hour for Friday and Saturday nights.

1988 - Parcel Force driving a parcel van. Pay was 2.50 per hour YIPEEE! You get 200-250 parcels to deliver each day. Which is fine if your round is a bunch of multi-story flats. Not so good if it's Cult, Bieldside, Miltimber, and Culter. It took 12 hours 6 days a week and getting up at 4am. I was only 2 days past my driving test and crashed every Van they put me into. The only reason they kept me was because my Uncle was in charge!

1989 - 1990 - Finefare/Gateway/Asda Bridge of Dee. This was the old site when it was on a hill. They discovered that I was too dim for wines and spirits and too gungho for checkout, so they put me on the trolley park, pushing trollies uphill. The pay was 2.70 per hour I think.

1991 - 1995 on and off! Shirlaw's Motorcycles. Started doing the computers, but eventually went on to do parts, looks after warrenty claims, sell clothing, clean the bikes, and untilmately buy & sell the motorbikes. Pay was 4.50 per hour. Was sacked once for being a skiver but rehired after I learned my lesson. Best P/T job I ever had!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Care Assistant for Age Care (part of Voluntary Service). 7.21/hour and I work relief hours - when I'm needed' date=' and when I'm available.[/color']

Amen to that. VSA are the best employer I've ever had by a mile. I'm contracted part-time, but get first dibs on any extra hours/holiday cover. Even on a month of no overtime, I make enough to pay the mortgage, council tax and bills.

Only downside is if someone has to be sectioned...............

My previous jobs' date=' whilst at school and college, and beyond:

[b']1724 - 1732 - The Jolly Roger. Work consisted of looting, pillaging, marauding. General pirating started off at 2 pieces of 8 per week. Not bad for the 18th century. Was sacked because they couldn't tell if I was a pirate, a biker, a cowboy, a member of The Village People or a fancy dress outfit model.

1984-1985 - Paperboy delivering The Aberdeen Citizen and Advertiser. Pay 1p per paper. Round of 200 papers per week = 2 per week. Yes it was a hard paper round.

1985 - Norco Culter branch. Norco stood for Nothern Co-operative. It was a supermarket. My job was stacking shelves, doing the checkout, using the price label gun.......

pieces of 8 indeed :D

Thanks for the info, but I was wondering if everyone there is getting paid like that, or if some people are getting paid through their bank accounts - it's definitely all above board as i've signed some HMRC declaration and i'm definitely going to get taxed.

Next week I should get taxed a whole 70p...