aberdeen-music

Animal Testing

Paulscoconutass

I haven't read everything that's been posted (so forgive me if this has already been said), but I noticed someone saying that the advocates of animal testing have over emphasised it's importance. I agree that this is true, however, I know that insulin was tested on pigs and the development of that has saved a hell of a lot of people (also more interested in this from a personal perspective because diabetes runs in my family and I reckon I might develop it at some point). Testing on animals has its uses, although it would be better if we didn't have to do it. I don't know enough about the alternatives to form an argument about that.

Wouldn't test cosmetics on animals. That's been useful in the past, but we've long since learned how to make shampoo that doesn't irritate your skin etc.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really bad but i was taught that those experiment were actually 'successful' because they improved the knowledge and science of the human body and its limits greatly. It's believed they managed to significantly advance the fields of:

Freezing / Hypothermia

Genetics

Infectious Diseases

Interrogation and Torture

High Altitude

Pharmacological

Sterilization

Surgery

Traumatic Injuries

of course it did. rather than pissing about with animals these tests were carried out on humans, which they were intended for. so they're gonna discover it far easier.

Im not condoning genocide. far from it. but basically, the idea was almost perfect.

of course it did. rather than pissing about with animals these tests were carried out on humans' date=' which they were intended for. so they're gonna discover it far easier.

Im not condoning genocide. far from it. but basically, the idea was almost perfect.[/quote']

S'good article about the legacy of Nazi science here: http://www.adl.org/Braun/dim_14_1_nazi_med.asp

Intelligently designed experiments in animals would have shown the same results the Nazis generated in humans. The Nazis, however, viewed ethnic minorities and the disabled as diseased or in someway sub-human - No better than animals in their eyes.

Some interesting news in the journal Science today - The European Commission and leading industry associations have agreed to cut the number of animals used in basic research, toxicology and quality control of health products by 20% by 2007.

I'm sure a few people on here will argue that it's not enough, but in terms of recent trends it's a major advancement not only due to the reduction of animal numbers but also due to the increase in finance for the development of alternative methods. Furthermore, the EC is promoting collaboration which should facilitate the rapid validation of these non-animal techniques. Which means that the trend should be for continued decrease in animal use in the EU over the coming few years.

No matter what side of the 'useful or not' debate you sit, I think everyone agrees that the use of valid alternatives is by far the preferred option to animal research.