aberdeen-music

Animal Testing

Paulscoconutass

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

I think that, with the latest advances in scientific research, vivisection has outlived its usefulness.

I also, however, vehemently disagree with the idiots who go to extremes to protest against it.

Guest tv tanned
Simple answer: Yes. I'm wildly more important than 1' date=' 100 or even 1000 gerbils. So are my family. If the testing is necessary to the advacement of medical research we all benefit.[/quote']

In fact few breakthroughs have been made as a result of animal experimentation - its advocates have overstated its achievements. There has been a catalogue of errors and failures in animal testing, which its advocates gloss over; as many as half the drugs that have been approved in the US and the UK after animal testing have subsequently had to be withdrawn because of harmful side-effects.

In fact few breakthroughs have been made as a result of animal experimentation - its advocates have overstated its achievements. There has been a catalogue of errors and failures in animal testing' date=' which its advocates gloss over; as many as half the drugs that have been approved in the US and the UK after animal testing have subsequently had to be withdrawn because of harmful side-effects.[/quote']

Not wanting to believe everything I read in the media, but as far as I am aware the BMA are still advocating the use of animals for testing. As they are more qualified than me, I will let them make that decision. When doctors and scientist tell me it is unnessary, then I will campaign against the use of animals. Up until that point, I think they should left to do their jobs in peace.

No.

Human life has seemingly existed on earth for 100-300,000 years. Nobody was testing on animals back then, and we're still here today.

As to whether you and your family are more important than the rest of your world.... only in your own mind. In the grand scheme of things, modern civilisation as we know it has only existed for a mere split second, and possibly only has a split second left....monkeys have existed on earth for maybe 5 million years....but now certain breeds of animal face artificial extinction...we're fucking with natural progress!!!...maybe in the grand scheme of things we are like the dinosaurs, only meant to come by for a little while then all of us get totally fucked over and the apes rise!!!

I like thinking about this sort of thing though, total mind fuck...I mean does any of it make sense?! What the hell was happening prior to the big bang?! I can see why people cop out and believe some magical guy in the sky created it all...but then who or what created him...

Anyway....its cold and I think its affecting my brian.....I don't understand people who work in vivesection...the "only a job" statement makes me think if they worked at a concentration camp they would just as happily gas your precious human life aswell.....

Guest tv tanned
Eh? As all drugs in the UK and the US have to be legally tested on animals are you saying that 50% of all drugs have been withdrawn?

I got the info from a pamphlet I have in the office by a Dr Thomas Dixon, a research fellow at Cambridge uni.

Perhaps he is quoting from a disreputable source. My bad.

Simple question: Do you think it's right or moral for products to be tested on animals?

Rules:

No sick or offensive pictures/videos or links to either.

No recited spiels from animal-testing-is-shite.com

Haha. I knew you'd do this because I wouldn't start it. You just know I'm right ;)

There is practically no similiarity between the genetic make-up of a human and a guineapig/rabbit/gerbil etc. Just because a drug has positive effects on one of these creatures after it has been infected with a terrible disease does not mean it will have any effect what so ever on a human. In fact some drugs tested on animals and found to be succesful have actually had negative effects on humans.

Not wanting to believe everything I read in the media' date=' but as far as I am aware the BMA are still advocating the use of animals for testing. As they are more qualified than me, I will let them make that decision. When doctors and scientist tell me it is unnessary, then I will campaign against the use of animals. Up until that point, I think they should left to do their jobs in peace.[/quote']

I wouldn't place too much faith in doctors and scientists. Just because they have some letters after their name doesn't mean they're infallible. How many stories have you heard of doctors fucking up? Scientists learn pretty much everything through their mistakes. What people thought was the gospel in the world of science 100 years ago would be laughed at nowadays. Who's to say that it won't be the same case 100 years from now?

This is a fairly balanced view.

"Nobody likes to see undue cruelty to anything, especially in the field of cosmetics or similar egotistical selfish areas. But you show me the animal I have to kill to save my child's life and I'll tear it apart with my bare hands if I have to - no question of doubt in my mind."

And that's fairly close to my feelings on the matter.

I don't understand people who work in vivesection...the "only a job" statement makes me think if they worked at a concentration camp they would just as happily gas your precious human life aswell.....

Ironically the Nazis did tend to shun animal experimentation. They much more preferred to use ethnic minorities, children and the mentally / physically disabled.