aberdeen-music

Driving

feeble!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got my test in December, hopefully that'll go alright. I'd like a Golf or a Polo or something... something green maybe. Enough of these countless silver cars that are going about. Actually just something that's as easy to drive as the Mini I'm learning in, I'm well rubbish driving my parents' Focus.

Putting your parents on your insurance? This actually works?

If one of them is the car owner and is the "first" driver, then yeah, the second driver gets it cheaper. But of course, if you're the main driver, it can invalidate your insurance.

A good trick is to limit your mileage - if you want a car for driving round town, with the occasional trip to Glasgow, insurance companies will often give you money off if you agree to do no more than a certain amount of miles in a year.

If one of them is the car owner and is the "first" driver' date=' then yeah, the second driver gets it cheaper. But of course, if you're the main driver, it can invalidate your insurance.

[/quote']

That's bollocks. It doesn't have to be the 'first' driver. As you said driving a car regularly when you are listed as an occational driver can invalidate your insurance, although it is hard to prove. If you are the main driver, you should be named as the main driver. The way the insurance company see it is there is likely to be less time for you to be driving the car if there is more than just you on the insurance ie two drivers means half the amount of time driving it. You also benefit indirectly from their driving experience etc.

While I was learning to drive I was on my Mum's insurance for her Ka (great wee cars!). After I passed my Dad phoned his insurance company to add me to his policy as a named driver for his Skoda Felicia 1.3, as a convience thing. The insurance company (I forget which one it was) claimed that my being insured on another policy for another car would increase the chance of me driving my Dad's car, even though I had near enough unresticted access to Mum's car.

If one of them is the car owner and is the "first" driver' date=' then yeah, the second driver gets it cheaper. But of course, if you're the main driver, it can invalidate your insurance.

[/quote']

Cloud i said to put them on as a second driver, not the first.

Putting your parents on your insurance? This actually works?

Yeah it does, i was looking for quotes, on my own the insurance would be 700 quid, with my mum named as the second driver it was 300 odd quid, and that's fully comp.

Try it out, get a quote (confused.com is the best i find) for yourself, then amend the quote to include one or both parents as additonal drivers, and see what the difference is.

You have to remember that your parents can only use their no claims discount on one policy at a time, my mum uses her on her car and my dad uses his on his van, so it made it no cheaper to have them on my policy.

I was 850 for a 1.2 Clio, I bought a 1.4 Civic the other week and it has risen to 1200, buying a thatcham cat1 alarm soon so it should go down some. You're as well splashing out in the first couple of years and building up your own no claims as you will benefit more in the long run.

As for queries into buying a car, I'm paying 145 a month over 3 years for my Civic and can comfortably afford this while at uni as well. It works out i'm paying 5220 or something, expensive but the car is beautiful, my clio was a death trap.

You have to remember that your parents can only use their no claims discount on one policy at a time' date=' my mum uses her on her car and my dad uses his on his van, so it made it no cheaper to have them on my policy.[/quote']

That is why I said "indirectly". Even though their no claims doesn't apply to your insurance, the company recognise that more experienced drivers are "safer", a rather false way of thinking in a lot of cases, but never mind.

I think you've been unfortunate because everyone I know that drives, and fellow members of The British Mini Club have all said adding their parents helped a lot in bringing down their premiums.

the thing that got me earlier was that i can buy a 500cc scooter for 5000, brand new, capable of doing godknowshowmany mph, yet my insurance would only be a shade over 400 for TPFT, which is fucking ridiculous - especially as the cheapest quote for a car that I found was well over 800 for third party only :| However...I can't ride a scooter to save my life :(

Actually that's a point, you lose your no claims bonus if you aren't continually insured, right? Otherwise I've got a year of no claims sitting there...

Actually that's a point' date=' you lose your no claims bonus if you aren't continually insured, right? Otherwise I've got a year of no claims sitting there...[/quote']

I think you can be uninsured for 12 months....thats what it was back in the day...but all the rules on insurance have changed quite alot these days....so i may have just lied

There is that factor. I was at a driving awareness thing last night which really hammered home how dangerous cars can be if used incorrectly. Scared the bejesus out of me, although I was annoyed at the fact that the school made every single 5th year attend it and didn't offer the opportunity to the 6th years who are the ones doing the driving at this stage in the year. I had to go in my own free time at night :(

Was worth it though, and also it looked good on me when I went and complained to senior management at school about the fact that 6th years were excluded from the whole thing :)

It's simple. Passing your test doesn't mean you can drive' date=' it means you can make the car move etc (notice the absence of the word "control" there) Young drivers are scary, especially behind the wheel of a powerful car. They are also more likely to kill themselves and someone else in an accident.[/quote']

To tell a story, the two most scary incidents I've ever had on the road both involved old people.

First one : mum driving, she was doing about 65, coming over the Tyrebagger towards the Airport, some old idiot in a range rover proceeds to drive straight across the dual carriageway from the Skene road, and wrecks the wing of the car. Woman then begs her not to call the police, woman blatantly smelling of booze, but my mum being sympathetic decides not to - end result : woman pays for car to be repaired and pays a couple of thousand to us. Morality issues over whether the police should've been called - but at the end of the day, there was no injuries and the car was damaged in such a way that there wasn't serious damage, just a lot of minor damage.

Second one : Me on my idiotic scooter, driving along happily along the dual carriageway to Westhill without a care in the world. Some idiot about 70 decides to overtake..I see him in my mirror, so I pull towards the kerb to ensure maximum distance between me and him (presuming he'd be in the outside lane). But nooooo, the old bastard decides to overtake me about 2 foot away from me, scaring the fucking hell out of me...tried to chase him, but lost him before getting to westhill (curse the lack of guts in the car).

Never had a problem with younger people driving - but I guess there's idiots of all ages on the roads.

To tell a story' date=' the two most scary incidents I've ever had on the road both involved old people.

First one : mum driving, she was doing about 65, coming over the Tyrebagger towards the Airport, some old idiot in a range rover proceeds to drive straight across the dual carriageway from the Skene road, and wrecks the wing of the car. Woman then begs her not to call the police, woman blatantly smelling of booze, but my mum being sympathetic decides not to - end result : woman pays for car to be repaired and pays a couple of thousand to us. Morality issues over whether the police should've been called - but at the end of the day, there was no injuries and the car was damaged in such a way that there wasn't serious damage, just a lot of minor damage.

Second one : Me on my idiotic scooter, driving along happily along the dual carriageway to Westhill without a care in the world. Some idiot about 70 decides to overtake..I see him in my mirror, so I pull towards the kerb to ensure maximum distance between me and him (presuming he'd be in the outside lane). But nooooo, the old bastard decides to overtake me about 2 foot away from me, scaring the fucking hell out of me...tried to chase him, but lost him before getting to westhill (curse the lack of guts in the car).

Never had a problem with younger people driving - but I guess there's idiots of all ages on the roads.[/quote']

Yeah, on a lesson I was going straight ahead at a roundabout and I was waiting for traffic on the right to go. So it all went and my instructor agreed that it was safe to pull out and go, so I did. Then some old dude in a big 4 x 4 came speeding in from the road and almost hit the side of the car. Luckily, I had a look to my right, saw him not slowing down for me and just accelerated the fuck out of his way. That was just a wee bit scary.

Arrgghh driving; I hated it! I failed my test before I left. Now, I'm in a car about once every two months; and it'll be a long time before I want to go home for a sufficient amount of time to take lessons and pass my test. And by the time I decided I do want to learn to drive, then I won't have the money to do it, vicious circle. But yeah, insurance is a nightmare, shop around I say!