aberdeen-music

Driving

feeble!

That is why I said "indirectly". Even though their no claims doesn't apply to your insurance' date=' the company recognise that more experienced drivers are "safer", a rather false way of thinking in a lot of cases, but never mind.

.[/quote']

Please note.....if your parents insure a car as main driver when it is in fact your car, if you have an accident and the insurance figure this out....and trust me they are not stupid!!

not only will they not pay out but someone could be charged with fraud.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing that got me earlier was that i can buy a 500cc scooter for 5000' date=' brand new, capable of doing godknowshowmany mph, yet my insurance would only be a shade over 400 for TPFT, which is fucking ridiculous - especially as the cheapest quote for a car that I found was well over 800 for third party only :| However...I can't ride a scooter to save my life :(

Actually that's a point, you lose your no claims bonus if you aren't continually insured, right? Otherwise I've got a year of no claims sitting there...[/quote']

Well thats only to be expected, a 2 ton car can cause a lot more damage than a bike and when you roll a car into a ball at 120mph on the Ellon road you are liable to kill yoursef and your three passangers and everyone in the car you hit.....simple really

Please note.....if your parents insure a car as main driver when it is in fact your car' date=' if you have an accident and the insurance figure this out....and trust me they are not stupid!!

not only will they not pay out but someone could be charged with fraud.[/quote']

He's not talking about them being the main driver, just adding them on the insurance as a named or second driver depending on how the insurance company word it.

Try reading my posts' date=' I've explained it quite clearly.[/quote']

I did read your posts and all I see is guesswork, everything you claim is not based on any form of knowlege of the insurance industry is it?

Premiums are worked out on the highest risk, having someone on the policy as a name driver who is a lower risk than the main driver wouldnt affect the premium unless they insured the vehicle as a second car and the inexperienced driver is the named driver (in my experience) My wife insured a car in her own name for the first time in almost 30yrs last year and had no NCD, her quote was lower than what they would have charged me with full NCD, they called it an introductory discount....weird.

Bah, I can't even afford a can of coke let alone a car and insurance!

I spoke to ye olde boss at work today though about getting some extra hours, and I figure if I only spend about 20 a week on crap as opposed to 50 I can quickly gain some capital to pay for it. Although the 1.4CL polo would be nice, I don't know how realistic it is that I can afford it, insurance, tax and petrol without some serious financial help from my parents. *sigh*

I'm such a dumbass, I should've started saving ages ago except my original plan was to buy a reasonably old ford fiesta from my uncle for 200.

Ah well, my mither's offering to let me share her car (1.3 Punto Sport, very nice car) until about April when she's getting another one, at which point I can buy it off of her if I want it.

I did read your posts and all I see is guesswork' date=' everything you claim is not based on any form of knowlege of the insurance industry is it?

Premiums are worked out on the highest risk, having someone on the policy as a name driver who is a lower risk than the main driver wouldnt affect the premium unless they insured the vehicle as a second car and the inexperienced driver is the named driver (in my experience) My wife insured a car in her own name for the first time in almost 30yrs last year and had no NCD, her quote was lower than what they would have charged me with full NCD, they called it an introductory discount....weird.[/quote']

i have a year's ban sitting on my licence, when i was looking for quotes i was over 700 with just me on the insurance but over 300 when i added my mum as a second driver. Now i don't know the in's and out's of the insurance industry but the fact that the quotes i was getting was about 400 less when i added my mum to the policy speaks volumes.

i have a year's ban sitting on my licence' date=' when i was looking for quotes i was over 700 with just me on the insurance but over 300 when i added my mum as a second driver. Now i don't know the in's and out's of the insurance industry but the fact that the quotes i was getting was about 400 less when i added my mum to the policy speaks volumes.[/quote']

This is the kind of news I love to hear!

Bah' date=' I can't even afford a can of coke let alone a car and insurance!

I spoke to ye olde boss at work today though about getting some extra hours, and I figure if I only spend about 20 a week on crap as opposed to 50 I can quickly gain some capital to pay for it. Although the 1.4CL polo would be nice, I don't know how realistic it is that I can afford it, insurance, tax and petrol without some serious financial help from my parents. *sigh*

I'm such a dumbass, I should've started saving ages ago except my original plan was to buy a reasonably old ford fiesta from my uncle for 200.

Ah well, my mither's offering to let me share her car (1.3 Punto Sport, very nice car) until about April when she's getting another one, at which point I can buy it off of her if I want it.[/quote']

My first car I got for nothing from a girlfriends father....I had to tow it away from his door!!! I had it running the next day, but it used more oil than petrol, my next car cost six hundred quid.....and I ran it for four months before clouting a lampost at 3am one icey february morning....I sold it for spares and bought a Mk11 gt Cortina which I loved but sold after replacing the cylinder head three times I then bought a mk1 gt Cortina which was my favourite car of all time, it cost me 90quid and when I sold it I got 450, I wish I still had it..... :(

i have a year's ban sitting on my licence' date=' when i was looking for quotes i was over 700 with just me on the insurance but over 300 when i added my mum as a second driver. Now i don't know the in's and out's of the insurance industry but the fact that the quotes i was getting was about 400 less when i added my mum to the policy speaks volumes.[/quote']

Fair enough....wish someone could explain why it makes a difference, and I dont accept the driving half the time theory.

Seems a bit harsh....didnt you see it coming?

I mean when the girl ran round the desk with the DM on her right foot only....didnt you think...shit here comes a kick in the nads?

yeah, I saw it coming. Just didn't see it coming at such a high price :(

Ah well, I'll try out some of these methods (putting parents on and the like) and do pass plus and just grin and bear it. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's kinda essential that I have a car. If I want to go to uni then I can't afford to live in town so I'd rather just have a reasonably nice car. At least I'll appreciate it because it looks like I'm going to have to work my ass off to be able to afford it.

• 3 weeks later...
Yay' date=' I have my test booked.

...four days before Christmas. Tenner bets it gets snowed off.[/quote']

Me too, one day before that :) Apparently there are only two (three on special occasions) driving testers in Stonehaven and one likes to cancel tests for no reason other than him having a bad day.. I hope he doesn't though, it's a well long waiting list.

Me too' date=' one day before that :) Apparently there are only two (three on special occasions) driving testers in Stonehaven and one likes to cancel tests for no reason other than him having a bad day.. I hope he doesn't though, it's a well long waiting list.[/quote']

Hope you don't get Failer Taylor.

• 3 weeks later...
My test is in Mid/late Febuary. I booked it last week after passing my theory last wednesday.

I'm doing it in Ballater' date=' which is why it'll take so long to get to do it.

But it also gives me something to aim for, and time to get fully ready for the test.[/quote']

why ballater?

too frightened to drive in aberdeen?

just let us know when you are out "practicing" in aberdeen, I'll be sure to head to ballater that day!

I always think it's strange, people wanting to sit a test in a place that's "easy" to drive, no cars, no roundabouts etc...

why? it's not an obstacle (a driving test), it's to evaluate if you are safe enough to drive in public, and that means the place you live, to start with!

(if you live in ballater, cool), but if you are fecking off to there, just to get a bit of paper that lets you drive leagally, and head back to aberdeen, think about it, will you?

why ballater?

too frightened to drive in aberdeen?

just let us know when you are out "practicing" in aberdeen' date=' I'll be sure to head to ballater that day!

I always think it's strange, people wanting to sit a test in a place that's "easy" to drive, no cars, no roundabouts etc...

why? it's not an obstacle (a driving test), it's to evaluate if you are safe enough to drive in public, and that means the place you live, to start with!

(if you live in ballater, cool), but if you are fecking off to there, just to get a bit of paper that lets you drive leagally, and head back to aberdeen, think about it, will you?[/quote']

Says on his profile he lives in Aboyne.. which is near Ballater...

I passed my test in november, and i am having great fun learning how to drive properly, there is so much they don't warn you about while you are learning to drive, and there is nobody there to help you if you make a mistake or about to do something stupid. I am driving a Mitsubishi L200, and i am not going to tell you what my insurance is, as it would scare you to high heaven.