aberdeen-music

Driving

feeble!

So, who from these boards has recently passed their practical test (within the last year or so)?

I'm getting ready to book mine soon, I hope I pass it first time - I seriously need to be able to drive where I live. 10 miles from anywhere, it's just plain boring.

Also, if you've passed your test did you go ahead and buy your own car or are you using your parent's car or whatever? I was thinking of buying a VW Polo but I don't have enough money at the moment. God dammit!

Oh, and one more thing - who else was absolutely apalled at the price of their insurance?! For me to get my own insurance, the cheapest quote that I could find was 1400. Looks like it's extra hours at Somerfield for me then :(

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i passed last august. but then a month later moved to ayr for uni.

but when ever im home i get to borrow my dads car.

and i get it randomly for uni, like im getting to take it back when i come home after my birthday cause it saves them coming to pick me and heaps of stuff up for christmas and what not.

our insurance is cheap though. for my mum, dad and me its about 500 a year.

Holy Shit! What were you trying to insure? Either you need to look harder or seriously re-evaluate what you're going to drive until you build up a no claims.

Yeah, I know - I was looking at a 1.4CL Polo, 5 doors. Not cheap, but meh. It'll go down a fair bit with Pass Plus when I do that. There were some quotes at 4 grand for the same thing, so I'd much rather pay 1400.

For a 1 litre N reg fiesta I was getting quoted at just over a grand for insurance. It's high because I'm a 17 year old boy apparently.

Holy Shit! What were you trying to insure? Either you need to look harder or seriously re-evaluate what you're going to drive until you build up a no claims.

My friend has a 1.2 R reg Mk.1 Fiat Punto and his insurance cost the same as the purchase of the car - 1400.

Being 17 doesn't help!

It sucks!

My insurance will end up being around there too :( I'll have to do pass plus to reduce it a bit.

Just checked the AA site for online insurance quote. Apparently' date=' for the S reg Fiesta 1.4 I'm after, it'd cost me 2600 fully comp. Gay.[/quote']

Have you booked/passed your test yet?

I'm not getting fully comp, I'm going for third party fire and theft. Fully comp would be way too expensive.

Nope not yet. Neither. I will probably go Third Party Fire and Theft also. It sucks either way! It was 2300 for that! :swearing:

Ouch! That's not good, not good at all!

I really need to book and pass my test asap. I live in the middle of nowhere, knowing how to drive and not legally being able to do it is such a pain in the ass.

Grrrrr' date=' a ka!

I'm sorry, but I have an embedded hatred for kas. I just don't like them :p

Unfortunately it's the car my instructor uses, so I'm forced to drive one for an hour a week![/quote']

I only passed a month ago, 2nd time lucky for me.

I learnt in a Ka to, what driving company are you with.

I drive a 206, its beautiful but it was pricey and currently aint paying my on insurance. Once i have done pass plus i think i will be though, so that will be fun.

As for sitting the test itself, just really concentrate, don't do anything rash. In my 2nd test i basically drove at 2mph the whole way and was SO cautious. Even got a minor for going too slow, don't care im now legal on the roads.

ive been driving for about a year and seven months now. passed first time :D

i went and bought my own car to start with an L reg 1.7 Diesel astra for #300 cheap but the engine gave up after 6 months, then i bought a 1.7TD cavalier ran that for about 7 months, then bought my current car P reg 1.4 Golf SE tis a nice car a bit slow though looking at buying a MK1 GTi golf atm if i can find one in a good condition.

ive never had any probs yet with insurance since my dad owns a garage/car sales buisness im on his insurance policy. gotta buy all my own cars though.

But it does help being an Advanced driver

Too true...

My insurance is 350 fully comp on Fabia VRS....advanced cert and no-claims etc....

When i was 17 i was paying 1000 on a 750 sierra....its just what happens....

Also look at insurance groups of cars young kids....because you may think an old fiesta is insurance friendly when some of the 1.4's are like group 9....look around...plenty of old corsas and the likes closer to group 3-4, investigate is all i say!

EDIT: (actually my insurance is up for renewal next week and its gone up to 383, only because i had a slight disagreement with a petrol pump, thank god for no claims protection though)

Don't go to the AA for a quote, they're useless. my first car was a Rover 214Si and started giving me phone numbers from the back of max power instead of a proper quote. Rubbish. Norwich Union were far more reasonable.

I believe Fiesta's are bad to insure because they get stolen more than most other cars.

Don't go to the AA for a quote' date=' they're useless. my first car was a Rover 214Si and started giving me phone numbers from the back of max power instead of a proper quote. Rubbish. Norwich Union were far more reasonable.

I believe Fiesta's are bad to insure because they get stolen more than most other cars.[/quote']

AA are totally ripp off merchants.. they quoted me over 3k once.. i ended up paying 1900, quite a difference!

elephant or tesco.

I passed about 4 years ago now and I'm not sure what my insurance is because I don't pay it...I don't even own the car, but I do know that it cost 7 to add Dan to my insurance, which seemed pretty reasonable.

I'm sitting my minibus test soon...never driven anything bigger than a Fiesta so that could be interesting!

I only passed a month ago' date=' 2nd time lucky for me.

I learnt in a Ka to, what driving company are you with.

I drive a 206, its beautiful but it was pricey and currently aint paying my on insurance. Once i have done pass plus i think i will be though, so that will be fun.

As for sitting the test itself, just really concentrate, don't do anything rash. In my 2nd test i basically drove at 2mph the whole way and was SO cautious. Even got a minor for going too slow, don't care im now legal on the roads.[/quote']

I'm with Roadwise Driver Training, learn in a red Ka. The instructor's alright, but I just hate the car. I think I'm definitely going to have to ask to do my test in my mum's car.

And cheers for advice on the test! I'll keep it slow so I've got all that time to react to stuff. Eugh, I'm still bricking it though :(