aberdeen-music

King Creosote and Jose Gonzales toooneeet 5th Nov

lepeep

Should be a good one, going to see them at blackheath halls...fire works on beforehand...I'll let you know what it was like...

if it's not sold out in Aberdeen, I'd advise thee to get tickets for the lemon tree, I'm probably most looking forward to Jose Gonzales, to tell the truth...

peep

it was amazing!....

the place inside is like an old townhall / ballroom...and it was beautiful...all seated too, lots of big circular tables, so nice and cosy (they were serving mulled wine and toffee apples ?!)..and, no smoking!

Tunng were on first, and they sounded fantastic, the electronica was a smidge loud in themix, but their style is lovely, glitchy electronica with folk guitar / tortoise esque-percussion (and melodica + clarinet)..really good set, the completely fucked up one song, but kept going, and laughed it off, I'll be purchasing their CD this week, me-thinks. ( http://www.tunng.co.uk )

Jose Gonzales on next...( http://www.jose-gonzalez.com/ )wowee, if you ever think about taking up acoustic guitar, never ever watch JG..as he'll just confirm that you'll never be as good as him!...holy shit, it sounded like 2 or 3 guitars, some amazing finger picking going on there, he played lots of the LP (as you'd imagine), crosses being pretty damned good, and he also played some brilliant covers, Stock Aitkin and watermans "hand on your heart" (available on 7" too!), Teardrop by Massive Attack, Love will Tear us appart by the Joy Division...he was so shy, and he got a standing ovation, he looked pretty shocked! Gabi and I met him in the Bar after, he's so quiet, but not bothered about speaking to people, I got him to sign the two 7" 's I bought...

King Creosote - Wonderful, started off with "It's not good enough", what a build, just phenominal, I'd say he sounds better live than he does on record, and it was just lovely to hear scottish voices for a change! We had to skidaddle half way through his set, because the last train was at fucking 11.30...

what a fantastic night, not only for the 3 brilliant bands, but for the amazing venue + very appreciative audience (hushed in the hall, talkative out in the bar, just how it should be) ... AND...non smoking ! sing hosanas, I don't have to wash all my clothes this morning.

ace.

I might head down to this one - will have to check finances. My mate from Limerick has been going on about Jose for AGES!!!

but going to Glasgow on Thursday to see Ray LaMontagne at the Royal Concert Hall, cant wait for that - his album "Trouble" is prob my fav album of the year! Kathryn Williams supporting as well, should be ace. :D

I might head down to this one - will have to check finances. My mate from Limerick has been going on about Jose for AGES!!!

but going to Glasgow on Thursday to see Ray LaMontagne at the Royal Concert Hall' date=' cant wait for that - his album "Trouble" is prob my fav album of the year! Kathryn Williams supporting as well, should be ace. :D[/quote']

certainly one of the best LP's of last year...

and as for Jose, It's amazing he's not "bigger", check what's happening with jack johnson...and he's "nice", but JG is far better...but hey, you can't force talent onto the masses!

I was hoping to catch Ray Lamontagne down here...but, I is off to spain!...fegging bugger. I would have missed him last time, as I was off to Oz, but he got ill and cancelled! (I wouldn't wish that on him for little old me!)

I'd like to see him play some day...who knows...

peep

Good gig by KC, Jose & Crooked Fingers at The Lemon Tree last night.

First time I'd heard the supports & I thought Jose was amazing - especially the two cover versions he finished his set with - "hand on My Heart" by Kylie and "teardrop" by massive attack. Was a bit surprised when he said he was Swedish though!

KC was great as well - preferred him last night to The Tunnels gig back in May. haven't got the new CD yet but I'll be looking foir that today.

But one thing - fuck me, what a noisy crowd! It was embaressing during some of the quieter moments when you all you could hear was chatting. What is it about people that they just can't shut up for a few minutes? I was on the dance floor as well so God knows what it was like nearer the back of The Lemon Tree.

Yeah, it was a brilliant gig last nite. The crowd was really quiet at the start when Crooked Fingers first started playing but it got louder and louder throughout the gig. All 3 acts were excellent tho, Jose Gonzalez was amazing on the guitar, great fingerpicking and KC was excellent. The highlight for me was 678, the last song, when they all played it together. Brilliant nite!

That was a great gig, but I agree with the chatting. I was sitting behind the desk for the first two acts, but moved forward for KC after getting pissed off with folk nattering next to me.

Was disappointed Jose had no music to sell, as I most definately would have made a purchase there. His covers were amazing.

First time seeing KC, and thought he was tremendous, better than I anticipated. Which was nice.