aberdeen-music

The Marquee Club

Guest MKII

The Marquee Club site

Here's a link(click one of the pics) to a great site about the Marquee Club...

header-marquee.jpg

"The Marquee club has been often defined as "the most important venue in the history of European pop music". Not only for having been witness of the development of the music culture in London during four decades, but also for having been an essential meeting point and a real cradle for some of the most important artists and music scenes. If it was not for the Marquee club it is possible that many of the legendary rock and pop artists that we know today would have never made it during the difficult years of starting their careers and their names would have never shown up in the music business.

The Marquee club was first opened on April 19th 1958 in 165 Oxford Street, London. During the following years the Marquee became the most important place for the jazz and rhythm & blues scenes in London, where legends like Sonny Boy Williamson, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated, and harmonica player Cyril Davies played regulary."

header-marquee-4.jpg

header-marquee.jpg

"The Marquee club has been often defined as "the most important venue in the history of European pop music". Not only for having been witness of the development of the music culture in London during four decades' date=' but also for having been an essential meeting point and a real cradle for some of the most important artists and music scenes. If it was not for the Marquee club it is possible that many of the legendary rock and pop artists that we know today would have never made it during the difficult years of starting their careers and their names would have never shown up in the music business.

The Marquee club was first opened on April 19th 1958 in 165 Oxford Street, London. During the following years the Marquee became the most important place for the jazz and rhythm & blues scenes in London, where legends like Sonny Boy Williamson, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated, and harmonica player Cyril Davies played regulary."[/i']

header-marquee-4.jpg

But isnt all they've done is take the name, its a different venue, in a different location owned by different people, all they've done is taken the name and the logo, a bit like the Cavern in Liverpool. The old one might have been hugely important, the new one is just a new venue with an old name.

Cheers

Stuart

But isnt all they've done is take the name' date=' its a different venue, in a different location owned by different people, all they've done is taken the name and the logo, a bit like the Cavern in Liverpool. The old one might have been hugely important, the new one is just a new venue with an old name.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

The site is a dedication to the history of the Marquee Stuart.

Ahhh shows I should read the stuff more' date=' I assumed it was about the new version of the Marquee club :p

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Understandible, Chris humourisly pointed out the vagueness of my original unedited post.

:)

Pallas played more gigs there in the 80's than you could shake a stick at....

It became the nearest thing I had to a local.... :cheers:

Yeah it was a bit of a place for the prog bands of the day wasnt it, Marillion did loads there too, seems every second gig from 81-83 was a Marquee gig. Marillion even recreated it for their Incommunicado video. It was THE place to play back then I believe.

Cheers

Stuart