aberdeen-music

DIY crust/grind etc?

Dan G

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackadder
Taking back sunday are a stereotypical 'emo' band.

Jake doesn't like emo that much. Apparently... ;)

hmm that no surprise jake doesn't like emo........neither do the rest of spike.....

So ur point is??

Fi

so's your face

nah, but seriously - this has been a prety interesting thread. i shared a flat for a couple of years with a guy who was hugely into punk and the DIY kinda scene and he was absolutely dead set on going DIY with everything. going that way has got a real beauty about it and i can fully appreciate why people would choose to go that route, but i'd like to take some of the ethics of it and do things my own way. as far as packaging of stuff goes, I'm too much of a perfectionist to settle for hand-drawn covers photocopied in the spar and i believe that when you sell/provide someone with a cd, you provide them with a complete package and that means everything from the lyrics to the recording quality to the bass sound to the overall intensity of the performance, right through to the appearance of the CD when you hold it in your hand and the text when you read over the cover. to me, everything plays its part in the feelings and associations you make with the music which lies within the pits and mounds of the CD. to me, it's possible to put it all together on your own and have it produced to the quality you're happy with, without feeling that you're cheating yourself. but those are just my thoughts.

/x

Guest Jake Wifebeater
this thread is very thought provoking' date=' im struck by the fact that mmw and spd are roughly at the same level, but share little of the same principles. i think the root of the problem is this ( excuse me if i offend egos etc) both band are pretty derivative- spd are choosing the napalm death blast beat idiom to operate in and mmw weapon are some sort of post nu metal hybrid. both bands are of the vaguely familiar variety, but with some subtle and important facts that are relevent to the diy debate. spike take a blue print and "do it themselves" this incurrs use of opinion and personality, creating a new angle and sound. this i feel is why they dont suck. musically they are pretty conservative but lyric wise they offer something new and interesting. this transefers live, they are fun, but also savage and cutting.

to be fair my opinion and judgement of mmw is based on mp3 files, to date i have not seen them live, i would like to but chances are i'm not going to be put on a guestlist in the near future. my impression is that the mighty mmw work hard on everything bar songs, they have "parts" and no real narrative. this is a shame, because there is a good / brilliant band lurking there, with a good/great singer, they just need to find something to say and a setting musically that fits.

(this howerver, is just down to taste, but i have good taste.)

in short the real meaning of DIY is seeing a band and being insprired, and chiefly being able to relate to them and thinking- "fuck i could do that as myself, and bring my own thing to it"- spd are taking an idea and making it thier own, mmw are simply treating the whole process as some sort of hnd qualification, if they put in the work they will suceed? now way, you got to give it something special.

any way, spd are "diy" but could go a long way, cause they have "it" mmw need to get a grip.

[/quote']

Terrific post, well worth wading through the abuse for. Dan feels that Spike and Weapon aren't that dissimilar, I would disagree and say that we're diametrically opposed. The overall impression I get from MMW is that they've been going through the motions in terms of self-promotion, and see it as an inconvenience and a headache but something they have to do to get the rewards or the "break" at the end of it. Certainly doesn't seem to be a labour of love.

As for going a long way, well, not sure about that or what it would entail. The band for me is a hobby, a very enjoyable hobby. We've had dog's abuse along the way, but so what? We'll carry on as is, and continue to enjoy ourselves. Otherwise, what's the point?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

And can everyone from Ascension PLEASE get laid and chill out!

On a lighter note, I can confirm that at least 40% of Ascension are doing just fine in that respect.

Takes alot more balls to create music that jake does. MMW on the other hand creates music that's endorsed in mtv. I would be very embarased indeed if i wrote music targeted

at a teen audience. It's whole existence is an insult to my intellegence via the lyrics and style of music it represents. Fuck record lable trends altogether and let "proper" musicians

that write music get more spotlight.

Hey dan if you can't accept others opinions then you shouldn't be in the music business.

That's what music is all about OPINION ;)

Takes alot more balls to create music that jake does. MMW on the other hand creates music that's endorsed in mtv. I would be very embarased indeed if i wrote music targeted

at a teen audience. It's whole existence is an insult to my intellegence via the lyrics and style of music it represents. Fuck record lable trends altogether and let "proper" musicians

Hey dan if you can't accept others opinions then you shouldn't be in the music business.

once again you prove yourself to be nothing more than an idiot. i must admit i was enjoying this thread without the insults, but rune really had to have this pointed out to him (again)

RUNE! think before you post, ye cretin

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I thought it was position suggested by the careers officer...

You can dish it out with the best of them, Dan.

But when the compliment is returned..........

Guest Page 99

I was going to try and reason this out, but to be honest this thread is about to become fucking pathetic.

The sooner it's closed and all involved go back to concentrating on playing music the better.

Takes alot more balls to create music that jake does. MMW on the other hand creates music that's endorsed in mtv. I would be very embarased indeed if i wrote music targeted at a teen audience.

I'd be more embarrassed by the fact that you are a cretin. Pretty much all music is aimed at a teen audience for a start. Whether it is death metal or pop' date=' the core audience of live gigs and those that buy CDs are teenagers.

It's whole existence is an insult to my intellegence via the lyrics and style of music it represents. Fuck record lable trends altogether and let "proper" musicians

"intellegence"... you clearly demonstrate your fair share of that.

And if you listened to our songs at all you would hear that we ARE proper musicians.

I CAN accept other's opinions. If some people (like you) want to have rubbish opinions then all the best with being rubbish. However I can also voice my own' date=' and my opinion is that you are an imbecile who knows very little.

P.S. I am not in the music business. I play music entirely for fun.

Huh? 40%=two fifths, doesn't it?

I thought there were 4 members... they must have a bass player now. My bad, sorry.

You can dish it out with the best of them' date=' Dan.

But when the compliment is returned..........[/quote']

Actually I have sat and listened to endless 'mmw are shit' etc etc comments from all the whining tossers that have cheap digs whenever possible. However I fancied having a pop back this time because a) I can, and b) I'm having fun insulting you all.

I was going to try and reason this out' date=' but to be honest this thread is about to become fucking pathetic.

The sooner it's closed and all involved go back to concentrating on playing music the better.[/quote']

Lighten up captain boring. There ARE some good points raised in this thread, there are also some petty insults being thrown around (guilty), and there are people like you that take things far too seriously. This is a MUSIC website. Apparently. More people actually waste their time discussing computer games and wrestling on here than music, so go and have a go at them instead.

EDIT: If this thread does end up closed I'll be very dissappointed. I'm sure it's a good read for everyone.

Guest Page 99

Lighten up captain boring. There ARE some good points raised in this thread' date=' there are also some petty insults being thrown around (guilty), and there are people like you that take things far too seriously. This is a MUSIC website. Apparently. More people actually waste their time discussing computer games and wrestling on here than music, so go and have a go at them instead.[/quote']

Yeah, some good points, and a heap of crap from both sides trying to score points.

What you should do is, put all the members of mmw and Spike and Ascension into a big pit and let them fight it out, with big comedic weapons. Heck we could even televise it, or charge people to watch in order to raise money for this lovely place.

Yeah' date=' some good points, and a heap of crap from both sides trying to score points.

What you should do is, put all the members of mmw and Spike and Ascension into a big pit and let them fight it out, with big comedic weapons. Heck we could even televise it, or charge people to watch in order to raise money for this lovely place.[/quote']

I'd actually say that is a good idea. For a computer game at least... (big comedic weapons not really in existence yet)

What about an ascension, mmw and spike gig?

I'm sure we'd all get along well and have a good time actually. Me and Hog would anyway :)

Guest blackadder
I'd actually say that is a good idea. For a computer game at least... (big comedic weapons not really in existence yet)

What about an ascension' date=' mmw and spike gig?

I'm sure we'd all get along well and have a good time actually. Me and Hog would anyway :)[/quote']

hmmm MMW and SPIKE playing a gig together have u lost ur mind??? I can't speak for the rest of them but i think the answer is HELL NO!!!! (that the light verson!)

hmmm MMW and SPIKE playing a gig together have u lost ur mind??? I can't speak for the rest of them but i think the answer is HELL NO!!!! (that the light verson!)

It could well prove to be a worthwhile gig to be honest, im sure it would pull in a fair crowd and be a fun night out for plenty of people. You could even have a clappometer which blows up balloons and the winner would be the band who gets the biggest cheer/their balloon pops first...

No?

Ah fuck it, it was just a thought