aberdeen-music

swear filter

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

As part of your upgrade, I think you should look to introduce a swear filter.

I realise I am as bad as anyone else for lapsing into the use of swear-words, but given the large number of young users the site has, I think it is probably a sensible option and would perhaps cut down the number of insulting posts that seem to crop up frequently.

Exactly. You should hear some of the stuff that comes out of the mouths of under 13's, even under 10's nowadays.

I'm only 17, but I never used to dare swear at 10, possibly cos I hardly knew any words to use, and I was nowhere near as cheeky as kids are today. (God, I sound like an old man). But I don't think a swear filter would serve much purpose - with the amount of swearing in society today, it's a wonder if anyone takes offence to it anymore.

Guest tv tanned
People can be just as offensive and insulting without having to use **** or **** anywhere in the posts. Most people on the site are over 13' date=' and they're probably using the language more than anyone else in their day to day lives anyway.[/color']

possibly so, but that doesn't mean that it should automatically be tolerated.

I can see I'm on a loser here.

I second this motion because a lot of the time I type I fucking swear a lot more than I fucking would in person, and you never know who the fuck is reading these things! As civilised people are known to write "f**king" from time to time, it could make me out to be one of these civilised people! Which would be nice.

Although it would be funny if the posts ended "CLEANED BY THE SOAPY MOUTH INTERNET SW**RING CLEANER" :D

The swear filter idea has been discussed to death in the Staff and Supporter's Lounge forums. My current take on it is that it won't be switched on when the new version of the web site goes live. But it will remain an option open to us.

The swear filter idea has been discussed to death in the Staff and Supporter's Lounge forums. My current take on it is that it won't be switched on when the new version of the web site goes live. But it will remain an option open to us.

Hear hear, I don't think the site needs any further sanitisation, a swear filter would just be OTT and patronising.

You seriously believe a 13-year old is going to come on here, discover a new word that he's never ever heard before because Mummy and Daddy never let him outside without his earplugs in and television is a despicable sin? You think anyone's got a decent enough grasp of music to care about it without having encountered swearing? You're actually bothered by swearing yourself?

I'm utterly astonished. STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES BUT WORDS CAN NEVER HURT ME.