aberdeen-music

Lost on DVD - Rip Off!

Guest bluesxman

Guest bluesxman

Why are we continually ripped off in this fecking country? They release Lost on DVD over here, but only half the series at the same price as you can get the full series on Region 1! Blatant cashing in on the latest TV success story.....Region 1 ordered so I can revisit all the bits i've missed after dozing during continual ad breaks.

Why are we continually ripped off in this fecking country? They release Lost on DVD over here' date=' but only half the series at the same price as you can get the full series on Region 1! Blatant cashing in on the latest TV success story.....Region 1 ordered so I can revisit all the bits i've missed after dozing during continual ad breaks.[/quote']

Saved myself a fortune by downloading them all.......

Up to episode 4 on Series 2 now!

The manufactures do not specify the region on a dvd player untill they know were it will be shipped! It is not illegal to buy a multi region dvd player, it is not illegal to buy exactly the same dvd player as you have but in a different region so is it not more of a moral issue..

i dont really think the police are going to come chapping on your door because your watching the US version of lost on your dvd player!!

Guest DustyDeviada
Am I right in thinking such activity is slightly illegal?

Nah, you can walk into plenty of high street shops and find DVD players advertised as being multi-region.

Neither' date=' if you get the region 1 set from play there is a chance of getting caught by customs (a pretty big chance as i was always having to pay an extra tenner) Get it from loaded247.com, you pay a little extra (34.99) and they pay your custom tax if the DVD is caught.

And, according to the bloke my Dad was annoying in Silverscreen they can only legally release episodes that have been show here, hence the half series set.

Up to episode 4 on Series 2 now!

I'm up to episode 5, the internet is a wonderful thing

Guest tv tanned
Nah' date=' you can walk into plenty of high street shops and find DVD players advertised as being multi-region.[/quote']

I'm aware that you can get a multi-region, but I was of the understanding that "cracking" a DVD player was along the lines of "cracking" a mobile in terms of it being dodgy.

And I wasn't suggesting the police would come and get you, but that posting links to it on this site, if it is dodgy, was not a good idea.

Happy to stand corrected though.

*doffs cap*

The point is: If anyones stOopid enough to buy half of the 1st series...then fire on!

I do agree that it is a total Bs, but what can we do..MMm I know..Dont buy it :nono:

It really pisses me off when they have a break like 2 minutes into the programme, thats blatent piss-taking. I wish the Beeb had the rights to show it.

Guest DustyDeviada
I'm aware that you can get a multi-region' date=' but I was of the understanding that "cracking" a DVD player was along the lines of "cracking" a mobile in terms of it being dodgy.

[/quote']

Nah, the only purpose the region codes serve is making money for the film studios. The idea was that they could control prices by ensuring that people had to buy DVDs from the area where they live, ie people in wealthy Britain would have to buy from here rather than import from countries where people have less money so the DVDs are cheaper.

That's why you don't get remote hacks on players made by manufacturers who also have film companies like Sony and Phillips.

Manufacturers who don't also sell DVDs don't give a fuck and therefore make it as simple as possible to make them multi region as that's what the punters want.

Guest bluesxman
eh' date=' i watch my DVDs on a ps2. Unless they're multi-region which i highly doubt, looks like i'm asking for season one part one for xmas.[/quote']

You can buy a disc (or used to be able to) in HMV, etc, that enables you to play multi-region discs on the PS2. I found the PS2 too noisy and annoying to watch DVD's on, that was my original plan too...

Sevenoaks hi-fi used to sell DVD players that had been modified to play multi region and also chipped to get round the additional RCE coding that some companies use on their discs, so I can't imagine they would have exposed themselves to being done for it. But then again they don't seem to be there anymore...

Word of warning, I bought a nice 100-odd quid Toshiba DVD player which initially played multi-region but suddenly stopped working and reverted to Region 2 only! The same happened to my brother's same model. It seems that some hacks only work for a certain time period and can't be redone!

I have recently replaced with a 25 quid job off Amazon, the quality is near as good and at least if it gives up the ghost i'm not paying a fortune to watch my DVD collection which has all sorts of Regions in it....god bless CD Wow.