aberdeen-music

BBC Readers Photographer of the year

Chris

4' date=' 10 and 11 are incredible.

9 looks too photoish: like a poster in a bathroom. No atmnosphere. And 1 looks totally contrived![/quote']

really? 4's okay but i wouldn't say it's incredible. if anything i'd say it looks contrived.

i get what you're saying about 9. woulda been nice if they'd lined up the smaller lighthouse in the background a bit better. good sky though.

10 is incredible though. the more i look at it the more i like it. the angle and the colours are brilliant. always good to have a person in there to give a bit of scale too. if i could vote again i'd vote for 10. i still like 5 though, makes me smile as soon as i look at it.

2' date=' 3, 4, 8 and 11 are really good. Pretty impressive stuff there, makes me wonder how easy it would be.[/quote']

Well having gotten curious and googled some of the photographers names there are a couple of professionals there (most obviously number 6 which is a fashion photographer, more suprisingly number 7 who I had pegged for a photography student). I guess number 5 is a fluke from an amateur but it's hard to tell.

I'll let Dave or some of the other photography students go into the details of how hard it is really.

you could learn as much technical photography skills as you possibly can and still never take a great photo. the idea is that you can increase your chances by getting a good exposure on a negative and studying the composition and style of photographers and artists you like and developing your own style. it's the same as most visual art, if you know what you want to acheive before you set out to do it you have a much better chance of doing it. plan your photo and image then work out how you're going to get it, be that lighting, costume, waiting for the right weather etc.

for the photo's there, i'd imagine 9, 10 and 11 have used filters to increase the dramatic effect of the skys in those pics. 2 has excellent use of depth of field whereby the child is just sharp enough to make out the wonderful expression but the snail and wood are perfectly in focus, that might be luck or good knowledge of apertures. 6 is a good studio setup with good use of lighting. 1 and 3 are well composed documentary shots.

most of them are pretty straight forward, nothing that practice and a good eye couldn't acheive. i'd imagine probably 11 out of 12 were planned to some extent. even the documentary ones.