aberdeen-music

RGU battle of the bands

AKMartin

judges? JUDGES? the result was based on voting. and guess which band only thought to bring one of their mates along?

*not bitter or anything*

AKM

LMAO!

Was it? I didn't really know what it was all based on. We only had a few mates (as in 4 or something). Anyway, that means everyone was a judge...so how drunk was everyone?! You know you could have voted for your own band? There were no rules against that, but we decided that was a touch immoral and defeated the whole concept.

BTW Ali, it wasn't a battle of the Uni's (which would be a sweet idea). Sherrit and Nick are RGU scum. Heh, just teasing, I don't want RGU students retaliating.

Guest Gregor Ascension
judges? JUDGES? the result was based on voting. and guess which band only thought to bring one of their mates along?

*not bitter or anything*

AKM

Ascension had the most audience votes by quite a bit, trust me, we made sure of this!!! the tunnels society decide that we would not fit the bill or something. so, they put Debassed through.

Guest Gregor Ascension
LMAO!

Was it? I didn't really know what it was all based on. We only had a few mates (as in 4 or something). Anyway' date=' that means everyone was a judge...so how drunk was everyone?! You know you could have voted for your own band? There were no rules against that, but we decided that was a touch immoral and defeated the whole concept.

BTW Ali, it wasn't a battle of the Uni's (which would be a sweet idea). Sherrit and Nick are RGU scum. Heh, just teasing, I don't want RGU students retaliating.[/quote']

yeh, but by the time we were finished our set (we were first band on) you guys already had more votes than us!

Ascension had the most audience votes by quite a bit' date=' trust me, we made sure of this!!! the tunnels society decide that we would not fit the bill or something. so, they put Debassed through.[/quote']

aside from the fact that having a battle of the bands to play in a venue where you can just submit a demo and get a gig is pretty redundant isn't it even more so if they just ignore their own judging process? did that actually happen?

We turned up thinking it would be judged. We then found out the "judges" were not only getting votes from the audience, but charging 50p per vote.

Obviously, believing that it's gosh-darn poor form to vote for yourself in a BotB, and only having brought one mate, we were unlikely to triumph even if we'd played like Led Zeppelin on speed.

Bit disappointing really, but a gig's a gig, and it was a good laugh.

AKM

I missed the first two bands, so I don't know much about it. I know that the guys in charge were asking people to pay 50p per vote, and that the votes counted towards the final decision. Seemed like a bit of a con, and the competitive element was a bit of a swizz. Like I said though, a gig's a gig.

AKM

charging for votes? yer kidding? how much people were there? couldn't they have pooled all the money from the votes and given that to the winner as well?

so they charged people to vote then ignored them? sounds like a scam if you ask me.

It's to help fund the Entertainments Society at RGU.

The gig was free.

Ascension did get the most audience votes, by a LONG WAY! we had over 25 votes in total i think, if not more. but the judges decided it would be best for DeBassed to go through.

as for us being nervous i think u need to remember that we actually got involved with the audience, and remembering the end when myself and our guitarist stuart got in front of the stage and went crazy for our song " The time machine "

Ok i'll clear up the confusion regarding the votes....

Basically, if you wanted to vote for a band - you went up and put 50p in the box and stated the band .... however, the box was called "Bribe the Judges" as it was 50% based on the decision of the Tunnels Entertainment Society and (apparently) 50% from audience votes.

Now, Ascension had the most audience votes by the end of the night, however, the Tunnels Society thought deBassed would fit the bill better for the final. They also put the band "Holy Folkes" through from the other heat, even though they came dead last in audience votes.

It was apparently pretty close between us and dB but I think they just won from the Tunnels Ent. Soc.

Was a really good night though, great first gig.... however I must say to the chap who said we looked nervous lol... are you kidding? You do mean us right?!

THe whole set I don't think there was one point where we were standing still and not getting down with the audience. Especially near the end. The other 2 bands were like statues up there tbh!

Indeed, a gigs a gig and it was a mighty fun one too. Enjoyed playing with the two other bands.

Nervous? I have to agree. Lack of gig experience shone through. Your singer was a statue. He's pretty good though, so the more confident he gets the more he'll shake his thing. Guitarist on the right of the stage (from the audience view) looked ace rockin out. He owned the stage when Ascension were on. I couldn't see the other guitarist and bassist though.

We were statues? Stage presence is more about just moving about btw. Did you watch us play?

Indeed' date=' a gigs a gig and it was a mighty fun one too. Enjoyed playing with the two other bands.[/quote']

Here here matey!

Your singer was a statue. He's pretty good though' date=' so the more confident he gets the more he'll shake his thing.

[/quote']

Yeah, this was his first gig with us, new lineup and everything

Guitarist on the right of the stage (from the audience view) looked ace rockin out. He owned the stage when Ascension were on.

hehe guilty' date=' that be me :)

We were statues? Stage presence is more about just moving about btw. Did you watch us play?

Yeah I did, ok maybe statue is the wrong word - but with the crowd standing so far back it leaves a huge gap in the middle unless you get out from behind the line of mics if you see what I mean?

Its good to get out there and just rock it... but not bad though! I think the Turning Japanese cover went down pretty good with the crowd!

lol yeah ill admit i did have some standing around to do, once my hair grows back ill feel a lot more comfertable going mad lol, dont ask why it just feels more natural lol. next gig guys, i promise i wont be a statue lol. and true yeah hamish, our bassist was kinda hiding behind me lol, its his first gig with us to so he was perhaps a little nervous...

Don't worry guys, the talent is there and that's the main thing. Fucking amazing playing!

Ye, there was a big space, between the crowd and bands, it was one of those things where it wasn't the right crowd for our bands. We need guys down the front to go nuts. Wouldn't mind playing with you guys again though, hopefully catch y'all down the line.