aberdeen-music

any good band practice spaces???

Chi 666

i can see where your coming from, but i also see where toms is coming from.

In our few months of being open it is easy to see why the prices have gone up, so many bands do not know how to properly use equipment and thus damage a lot of stuff on a regular basis. Again using The Lok Up as an example, in our first three months we have had to twice repair the PA thanks to bands not knowing how to set one up and thus blowing the speakers, have gone through two guitar amps one of which may or may not be saveable. Had to replace drum heads three times, including three kick drum heads, gone through countless mic leads and guitar leads, and two sets of practise cymbols and we only have one small room. So if you multiply that by 4 (the number of rooms tom has) then you can easily see how the money starts to drain away very quickly and why he has to charge more.

If more bands took more time to learn how to use their equipment reather than just pluggin in and turing all the knobs up then this wouldnt happen and thus i would imagine prices would be lower, but thats not the way it seems. Young bands like to show up and make a lot of noise and hence equpiment gets fucked, you can try and advise them as much as possible and i have on one occasion went down and told a band to turn it down or risk being asked to leave, but when you have four/five practise rooms again that becomes very difficult.

Aberdeen still needs more practise facilities that much is evedent, but the problem is there just isnt anywhere really that great to set one up in, that was one of the biggest problems The Lok Up faced before we finally found somewhere.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lok Up as an example' date=' in our first three months we have had to twice repair the PA thanks to bands not knowing how to set one up and thus blowing the speakers.[/quote']

I know bugger all about how to use PA's, so when my band manages to get a singer, there's no way I'm touching anything, apart from the drum kit of course. :p

Anyway, if in doubt, ask. No point in fucking up expensive equipment which doesn't belong to you, if you could just ask for assistance.

I know bugger all about how to use PA's' date=' so when my band manages to get a singer, there's no way I'm touching anything, apart from the drum kit of course. :p

Anyway, if in doubt, ask. No point in fucking up expensive equipment which doesn't belong to you, if you could just ask for assistance.[/quote']

exactly if people asked they would easily be given help, im very sure tom would rather you asked than thrash his amps/PA systems into the ground just as we would, but people seemed scared to ask, either that or they really have no concern at the fact they are using someone elses stuff.

A fair price to pay? I think it depends on the quality of the place - but a good benchmark would be going by what the lok-up offers. 6-8 would be reasonable for a small room with battered equipment' date=' 10-12 for a place that has a big room, decent PA and a maintained kit, with anything over 12 being a highly versatile, high quality place.[/quote']

i understand that it's not necessarily related and that there's already been mention of glasgow and stuff but the differences really are staggering. berkeley 2 charge in the region of 26 for three hours in a room where you have an STV classic and 8x10 cab, 2 marshall half stacks, a good kit and a PA, and one in which the room has been specifically designed for the purpose of rehearsal, with a PA and room mics feeding through into both a cassette recorder and a CD recorder. the equipment really is top notch and yet it doesn't break the bank.

now they have a huge number of rooms (about 7 i think) compared to toms etc. and they're almost solidly booked out, which makes it easier to keep revenue up, ut what is it that they're doing that places in aberdeen aren't?

i've practiced in loads of places in glasgow and not all meet that standard but there are some fantastic places (berk2, urban, practice pad) which have very impressive equipment and don't charge a fortune. what are they doing right?

it sounds like i'm criticising toms etc. here but i'm more just curious of why they need to set their prices so high. it's gutting on the occasions when we practice in aberdeen that we have to pay a smal fortune to do it. do they suffer more damage/loss than places in glasgow? more missed bookings? higher rent charges? what is it that makes up the dfference?

spoons

/x

"so many bands do not know how to properly use equipment and thus damage a lot of stuff on a regular basis."

if the inflated price is all down to the costs of upkeeping the equipment then they should do what gyms do with new members, show them how to use all the equipment safely before allowing them to use a room. (surely wouldnt take long?)

who's fault is it that they that places take any booking without knowing who they are letting in to use the room? (the only question asked may only come afterwards when the money is to be paid!)

Every band starts somewhere & a practise room might be the first time they are in control of a PA/different amp/etc, so if you presume that everyone knows how to treat equipment then can you really blame the folk that lack the common sense to work it out for themselves?!

If inexperienced musicians are keeping the prices high then something has to be done, surely it's inevitable that people will come along and not realise the damage they are doing to equipment?

ps i'm just throwing ideas about, not meaning to offend anyone either!

agreed

I cannot begin to say how much I agree with this statement. I was until recently at uni in Glasgow and we used to have band practices in a place called Berkely's. 16 for 3 hours on weekdays before 6 and 25 for for 3 hrs after 6 and at weekends using top of the range equipment in rooms that were almost too nice. Aberdeen's practice rooms are almost embarrasing in comparison.

Recently played at a place called Lofi in Glasgow, absolutely amazing sound quality and equipment and cost next to nothing (15 for 3 hours). It's almost worth travelling down to practice. Recomend coordinating it with a gig down there as well.:up:

if the inflated price is all down to the costs of upkeeping the equipment then they should do what gyms do with new members' date=' show them how to use all the equipment safely before allowing them to use a room. (surely wouldnt take long?) [/quote']

Yes but then even if you do that alot of bands will ignore this and still want to turn everything up more, i speak from experience here.

who's fault is it that they that places take any booking without knowing who they are letting in to use the room? (the only question asked may only come afterwards when the money is to be paid!)

In that kind of buisness it is almost impossible to know who or what kinda of band is going to be using your facitlities until they start to play' date=' i very much doubt any practise place in the world asks what kinda band you are before letting you book their room.

Every band starts somewhere & a practise room might be the first time they are in control of a PA/different amp/etc, so if you presume that everyone knows how to treat equipment then can you really blame the folk that lack the common sense to work it out for themselves?!

yes everyband has to start somewhere, but surely if you dont know how to work something you ask, you dont dick about with it until you break it, so yes in essence you can blame them. its polite to ask, its bad manners to come in and use someone else stuff and not take the most care you can with it.

If inexperienced musicians are keeping the prices high then something has to be done' date=' surely it's inevitable that people will come along and not realise the damage they are doing to equipment?[/quote']

you would think so wouldnt you?

But i think most people dont give a shit as long as they dont damage their own gear.

BTW im not just using your posts to have a go or anything, just keeping a good thread going.

I had a thought today tho, like was said Glasgow has heaps of practise studios and they for the most part they seem better and cheaper, do you think aberdeen is so expensive because we have so little to choose from, these places can get away with it cause there really isnt anywhere else to go? Im not saying toms/musical vision or where ever are taking the piss but if there were say another 6 practise studios in aberdeen i would very much doubt they would all be as expensive and if one was cheaper it would get used more and thus make the other places reduce prices to compete. I feel that is aberdeens biggest problem is there is no real competition in this area, you either have toms, the foyer, musical vision or the lok up. 4 small places for such a big city.

Yes but then even if you do that alot of bands will ignore this and still want to turn everything up more' date=' i speak from experience here. [/quote']

Fair enough, there will always be bands that dont know what "too loud" is, likely damaging their own ear-drums as well as the equipment. I'm sure saying to a band this is as loud as you should have the PA/amp is all you can do...& then you come in & see it's louder all they'd be is embarrassed!

In that kind of buisness it is almost impossible to know who or what kinda of band is going to be using your facitlities until they start to play' date=' i very much doubt any practise place in the world asks what kinda band you are before letting you book their room.[/quote']

Agreed, it is not made an important part of booking out a room, but perhaps when using a practise rooms equipment maybe they should ask at least one question? It's more what kind of experience than what kind of band I was meaning.

yes everyband has to start somewhere' date=' but surely if you dont know how to work something you ask, you dont dick about with it until you break it, so yes in essence you can blame them. its polite to ask, its bad manners to come in and use someone else stuff and not take the most care you can with it.[/quote']

Well you obviously know this isn't the case, some folk are too embarrassed / proud to ask questions that might have an obvious answer or they think it'll be easy enough to work it out for themselves, when usually it's not! Perhaps a deposit is the best answer but then you'd have problems proving why/how things can damaged.

you would think so wouldnt you?

But i think most people dont give a shit as long as they dont damage their own gear.

Yeah I'm sure some folk dont really care but then again damaging/blowing up equipment doesnt help a band practise' date=' it could jeopardise all their time (i'm sure you're thinking "if only they'd realise" !!)

I had a thought today tho, like was said Glasgow has heaps of practise studios and they for the most part they seem better and cheaper, do you think aberdeen is so expensive because we have so little to choose from, these places can get away with it cause there really isnt anywhere else to go?

I'm sure Toms have a solid customer base of bands now that don't really bother looking for alternatives, and with them being nice guys it maybe makes it easier to part with the cash... but if they did hear of less a superior/equal practise place with less than half price practises I'm sure they'd try it out. So yeah more alternatives more chance of cheaper prices & practise rooms having to maintain a quality product to beat the rest (or justify the price).

In our few months of being open it is easy to see why the prices have gone up' date=' so many bands do not know how to properly use equipment and thus damage a lot of stuff on a regular basis. Again using The Lok Up as an example, in our first three months we have had to twice repair the PA thanks to bands not knowing how to set one up and thus blowing the speakers, have gone through two guitar amps one of which may or may not be saveable. Had to replace drum heads three times, including three kick drum heads, gone through countless mic leads and guitar leads, and two sets of practise cymbols and we only have one small room. [/quote']

Not getting on at you or anything but fuck that, if was in charge of a room fool of gear and the same bands kept wrecking stuff i'd turf them out. You should think about making bands sign contracts or clauses stating that they'll cough up for some of the damage they cause.

People will do anything and inflict any damage to equipment... providing it's not their own, which i found out by leaving my amp at the old lock up. I don't understand how people end up breaking mic stands / blowing amps and so on in a rehersal when they don't do it in front of a normal crowd, and as for trashing stuff, seriously, what's the point?

'Terror have been practicing for four years now and we've never broken or blown a single piece of equipment. And it pains me that places have to charge EVERYONE higher prices because some people want to act the tit.