aberdeen-music

need a drum kit....help

lynne

i would recomend a tama stagestar, its desgned for small practice spaces and cramped stages and its comes as

18" Bass drum

10" Tom tom

12" Tom tom

14" Floor tom

13" Steel snare drum

Double tom holder

Hi-hat stand

Straight cymbal stand

Low profile snare stand

Low profile drum pedal

13" Hi-hat cymbal (pr)

16" Cymbal

so it has everything for a beginer

go here for the specs of this kit or go here for the tama web site.

im not sure wot this kit retail for but it is a quality kit

most drum companies do there own version of this kit but i have never played any of the others

hope this is some help

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
thats na alot' date=' iv paid that for one cymbal before[/quote']

Nobody cares about the size of your wallet, just incase you thought they might.

P.s You were ripped off, regardless of the cymbal quality.

i would recomend a tama stagestar' date=' its desgned for small practice spaces and cramped stages and its comes as

18" Bass drum

10" Tom tom

12" Tom tom

14" Floor tom

13" Steel snare drum

Double tom holder

Hi-hat stand

Straight cymbal stand

Low profile snare stand

Low profile drum pedal

13" Hi-hat cymbal (pr)

16" Cymbal

so it has everything for a beginer

go here for the specs of this kit or go here for the tama web site.

im not sure wot this kit retail for but it is a quality kit

most drum companies do there own version of this kit but i have never played any of the others

hope this is some help

Agreed. This is a good recommendation. Gretsch Catalina might also be worth a look, but might be more expensive....need to check.

looking to buy a drum kit for a 7 year old' date=' seen a few for age 5-7 but nothing for 7 up. Any advise on a first drum kit????? :band:[/quote']

I think your biggest problems are two fold 1/ kids dont stay 7 for very long and he will very quickly grow out of a kit thats been bought to fit..... 2/ spending a fortune on a quality (new) kit.... is that wise when he's only 7? and there are loads of 2nd hand kits out there for those prepared to look. thats my thoughts anyway.

G...

No he wasnt. It's easy enough to pay 300+ for top of the range' date=' hand-made cymbals. Expensive? Yes...but that's the price of quality.[/quote']

Yes but who the hell in their right mind is gonna spend 300 on a kids toy.....

My kid (who's 5) has been learning on a full size kit. Of course being 5 and all his attention wanders and he spends more time staring at the walls than trying to play....so i wouldn't break the bank getting a kit. Get a full size kit as it will last for the rest of his life should he wish to keep it, and he gives up quickly, they become a not so expensive ornament.

I would suggest going for a more known brand as opposed to the cheap stuff found in the clubby books/ebay.....the reason being, that my kit (as old and crap as it is) was built in the 70s and is still here today, whereas todays modern fragile stuff won't last a house move. Although 2nd hand stuff doesn't always look great, so if you'd rather make the compromise in giving him a shiny new kit, there are some amazingly cheap kits here....I'd say go for the stagg 5 piece, just under 150! Perfect kit for learning age 7-13/14, when he can buy a new kit with his own paper round money :D

d7_1_b.JPG

EDIT: the link http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Virtuoso-Instruments_Drum-Kits_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Yes but who the hell in their right mind is gonna spend 300 on a kids toy.....

My kid (who's 5) has been learning on a full size kit. Of course being 5 and all his attention wanders and he spends more time staring at the walls than trying to play....so i wouldn't break the bank getting a kit. Get a full size kit as it will last for the rest of his life should he wish to keep it' date=' and he gives up quickly, they become a not so expensive ornament.

I would suggest going for a more known brand as opposed to the cheap stuff found in the clubby books/ebay.....the reason being, that my kit (as old and crap as it is) was built in the 70s and is still here today, whereas todays modern fragile stuff won't last a house move. Although 2nd hand stuff doesn't always look great, so if you'd rather make the compromise in giving him a shiny new kit, there are some amazingly cheap kits here....I'd say go for the stagg 5 piece, just under 150! Perfect kit for learning age 7-13/14, when he can buy a new kit with his own paper round money :D

[/quote']

You're right to say that a lot of the cheap modern kits aren't built to last, but then you go and contradict yourself by recommending the rather flimsy Stagg kit.

I only suggested those specific kits because they are 3/4 size, which would be ideal size until in early-teens and would be well enough built to last a good few years.....unlike the Stagg which wouldn't.

Regarding "who in their right mind would spend 300 on a toy".....how many parents spend similar sums buying the latest games consoles and accompanying games only to replace it a year later when the next big thing comes out?? I don't know what the budget is in this case, but spending 300 is hardly unheard of.

If 300 is way out of the question, you're much better off trying to buy a 2nd hand kit from a decent manufacturer.

yeh i would go second hand, i got a premier royal from the 70's i think for about 200 6 years ago and ive never had any problems at all with any of it, still gig with it today in fact.

I agree with what is said dont go and buy a brand new one not at that age unless you are very sure he/she is going to continue, look in the papers and online and im sure you will find a good priced, good quality kit.