aberdeen-music

The Darkness album artwork

jester1470

OKay' date=' whilst I think its not very good for an album colour - its a great bit of 'creation'. Not sure whether the correct term is 'photoshoppping' but its been well done..wish I could do that type of thing.

ps - the new darkness single is utterly awful.[/quote']

Its a mix of photoshopping and old fashioned airbrushing, the train is airbrushed, it's perfect for the Darkness though as it sums up a lot of the epic feel of mid 80's album imagery. i think it's a nice bit of imagery done ina very nice way and perfect for the band in question.

Cheers

Stuart

that Diamond Head cover is a roger dean, is it not ? (yes, uria heap etc)...

classic stuff...

I love the seriousness of some of the posts, completely missing the point!

ho ho, the darkness must be wetting themselves. (booo ! how dare they have fun, how dare they stoop so low!)...shaddup, and listen to yer Emo / Intelligent shite.

that Diamond Head cover is a roger dean' date=' is it not ? (yes, uria heap etc)...

classic stuff...

I love the seriousness of some of the posts, completely missing the point!

ho ho, the darkness must be wetting themselves. (booo ! how dare they have fun, how dare they stoop so low!)...shaddup, and listen to yer Emo / Intelligent shite.[/quote']

No thats Rodney Matthews (another nice bloke), he did a lot of the NWOBHM covers and a lot of Magnum's stuff. His first music cover was IIRC a Thin Lizzy EP. His crowning glory is imo Mirador.

Cheers

Stuart

Mark Wilkinson's good... He did a couple of Iron Maiden covers' date=' and my mum met him and got his autograph for me :)

I quite like this cover too :)[/quote']

Mark's a lovely bloke, he's done artwork for everyone, some of his better known stuff is the last Judas Priest album, Painkiller by Judas Priest, The Wickerman by Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden: Live at Donnington, many of the later Monsters of Rock artwork, all of Marillion (Fish era) and Fish solo album covers, Megadeth's Mary Jane cover, and has done tour artwork for Robbie Williams, the Who, Page and Plant, juliette and the licks, the Darkness, Funeral for a friend, pretty much everyone really :)

I'm a huge fan of him as a person and an artist and he gave me his Marillion Tour Jacket from 86, as well as doing a great cover for Jo.

http://www.the-masque.com/Jo2.jpg For anyone interested that's the cover he did for Jo, not everyone likes it, but I think it's cool, and amazing that someone like Mark would do a cover primarily based on the fact he's a fan of the band, especially guessing how much he must cost people like the Darkness :)

Cheers

Stuart

No thats Rodney Matthews (another nice bloke)' date=' he did a lot of the NWOBHM covers and a lot of Magnum's stuff. His first music cover was IIRC a Thin Lizzy EP. His crowning glory is imo Mirador.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

thanks for that, I wonder if he was inspired by roger dean ?

there is one artist I need to find out more about, and that's the guy who used to do all the chaos stuff in the white dwarf, he had an amazing style, all the edges of the drawings were wavy, and the "goblins" etc had leech like mouths...any one ?

thanks for that' date=' I wonder if he was inspired by roger dean ?[/quote']

Yeah he was, I had a chat with him a few years ago, he was telling me he was inspired by Roger Dean and in fact even took over from Roger doing the Asia covers. Mark Wilkinson has also done some Asia covers, everyone seems to do them ;)

Cheers

Stuart

I agree it looks like a Meatloaf cover which is therefore totally suited ot The Darkness.

I really do think Wilkinson has never done a good cover in his life except Script for a Jester's Tear which is brimming with atmosphere. After that they all look iffy, he's lousy on faces especially, and everything looks like it belong with those posters of girls on motorbikes in alien landscapes. Photoshop's just made him even worse! Yuk, SOOOO 80s!!!!

My album cover hero was always Marcus Keef, photographs for me are much better. Eg the first Black Sabbath album, Jimmy Vasmpbell's Half Baked, the Trees album etc. Subtle.

yes i belive it is. its not far from the stuff HR giger does (infact' date=' it looks just like it)[/quote']

Sigh :p No-one listens to me :phttp://www.rodneymatthews.com/main.htm

Rodney Matthews uses Airbrushing which allows for the almost photorealistic shades, Rodney Matthews uses inks generally, that means that his stuff doesnt use plending so much.

Cheers

Stuart

I agree it looks like a Meatloaf cover which is therefore totally suited ot The Darkness.

I really do think Wilkinson has never done a good cover in his life except Script for a Jester's Tear which is brimming with atmosphere. After that they all look iffy' date=' he's lousy on faces especially, and everything looks like it belong with those posters of girls on motorbikes in alien landscapes. Photoshop's just made him even worse! Yuk, SOOOO 80s!!!!

My album cover hero was always Marcus Keef, photographs for me are much better. Eg the first Black Sabbath album, Jimmy Vasmpbell's Half Baked, the Trees album etc. Subtle.[/quote']

You don't like Vigil ???

And I love Curtain Call, Return to Childhood, and the singles like He knows you know etc...

You have no soul Simon :p

Cheers

Stuart