aberdeen-music

Arctic Monkeys fall from the top spot

incredibledisc

i don't listen to radio 1 or buy nme and i like the arctic monkeys. why is everyone so fucking suspicious of them? a good honest guitar band from britain was number one with a good honest dance your ass off song and all you lot can do is go "they were only number one cause of nme and radio 1 and anyone that likes them is a sheep". what a crock of shit.

arctic monkeys make me shake my ass' date=' that makes me smile and that's why i like em.

westlife will rot in the fiery depths of hell.[/quote']

Wow! Sanity rears its ugly head at last in this thread. I take my hat off to you sir! :rockon:

Errr I think everyone is missing the point here. I don't give a shit if someone thinks The Arctic Monkeys are the greatest thing since The Beatles, which they aren't....the poster was pissing and moaning that they are no longer number one, and some other shite is, and I was merely getting the point across that it could be a bunch of guys or a CGI frog that hits the top of the charts, radio 1 has made sure they all got to number one by simply saying "THIS WILL GET TO NUMBER ONE. PLEASE GO OUT AND BUY THIS AND HELP IT GET TO NUMBER ONE! CHOOOOOONNN! GET IN THERE!!!"

Sure there are probably loads of people who love the song love the band, but you guys are outnumbered.....come on!!! Look at the song they knocked off and look at the song that knocked them off the top space....the charts don't mean shit.

Errr I think everyone is missing the point here. I don't give a shit if someone thinks The Arctic Monkeys are the greatest thing since The Beatles' date=' which they aren't....the poster was pissing and moaning that they are no longer number one, and some other shite is,.[/quote']

I was that soldier...

and I was merely getting the point across that it could be a bunch of guys or a CGI frog that hits the top of the charts' date=' radio 1 has made sure they all got to number one by simply saying "THIS WILL GET TO NUMBER ONE. PLEASE GO OUT AND BUY THIS AND HELP IT GET TO NUMBER ONE! CHOOOOOONNN! GET IN THERE!!!"

Sure there are probably loads of people who love the song love the band, but you guys are outnumbered.....come on!!! Look at the song they knocked off and look at the song that knocked them off the top space....the charts don't mean shit.[/quote']

As it happens I heartily agree with you - the charts don't mean shit. I know thay, you know that - most people here know that. That is why I was just a tad puzzled at my reaction when I heard the charts on the radio - it defied logic and common sense. I already own the song what do I care if the nation's 13 year olds chose not to buy it with their pocket money this week?

To get back to you point though, virtually all radio is cock with the exception of the late St Peel and admit it - sometimes he played some godawful bollocks too but at least he didn't feel the urge to be all "yoof" and a few other who don't feel the need to resort to the gibbering that passes for presenting skills these days. I try to avoid it as much as I can just in case I hear Sara Cox (shudder!) or some other babbling twat.

Sara Cox I can take or leave......its that fucking Edith idiot who I can't stand.

Sorry folks' date=' I have been tortured with far too much daytime radio these past 10 months....it is driving me beyond insane....and making me hate music, and that i cannot take....[/quote']

True story - I once had the pleasure of knocking Edith Bowman flying into a table full of drinks in a tacky nightclub in Kirkcaldy when she was just another media whore wannabe doing an HND at Fife College It was an accident of course but I like to think that God was working through me in his myserious ways :D

You're welcome.:cheers:

Was just coming home in the car and heard that the Artic Monkeys had gone down to number 2 in the charts and have been replaced by the latest bland excremental offering from Westlife.

I know that I should be old enough to realise that the charts are pretty meaningless these days but "I bet that you look good on the dancefloor" is one of the best singles I've heard in ages and actually felt quite gutted that they hadn't stayed at number one for a second week. :swearing:

I have heard some people say that the Arctic Monkeys are just another product off the NME's hype machine but to be honest I stopped reading NME regularly ages ago as it had gone a bit shit (Empire magazine looks to be going the same way - call me old fashioned but I like long articles and incisive journalism rather than pr pap and blipvert articles dotted with massive pull quotes everywhere that are designed for short attention spans' date=' but anyway, I digress :D ). I don't care about bands not being "4 real" anymore as that's usually just a pose anyway - all bands suck the demonic cock of the man in order to sell records -all bands that want to be famous that is - so its a redundant acusation. All I care about it whether or not I like a song and damn it I really like this one.[/quote']

I dig this :love: