aberdeen-music

Arctic Monkeys fall from the top spot

incredibledisc

Was just coming home in the car and heard that the Artic Monkeys had gone down to number 2 in the charts and have been replaced by the latest bland excremental offering from Westlife.

I know that I should be old enough to realise that the charts are pretty meaningless these days but "I bet that you look good on the dancefloor" is one of the best singles I've heard in ages and actually felt quite gutted that they hadn't stayed at number one for a second week. :swearing:

I have heard some people say that the Arctic Monkeys are just another product off the NME's hype machine but to be honest I stopped reading NME regularly ages ago as it had gone a bit shit (Empire magazine looks to be going the same way - call me old fashioned but I like long articles and incisive journalism rather than pr pap and blipvert articles dotted with massive pull quotes everywhere that are designed for short attention spans, but anyway, I digress :D ). I don't care about bands not being "4 real" anymore as that's usually just a pose anyway - all bands suck the demonic cock of the man in order to sell records -all bands that want to be famous that is - so its a redundant acusation. All I care about it whether or not I like a song and damn it I really like this one.

who fucking cares? really?

Well' date=' that was kinda my point. :D I shouldn't really be bothered but I am.

To take your point to its logical conclusion though perhaps we should ask:

1. Who fucking cares about anything posted here? Oops, my bad after all, what is the point of the Wasteland if not to talk about anything and everything no matter how trivial or tangental to music it is?

2. What was the point of replying to my post if you don't actually have any worthwhile opinions to contribute to it? :nono:

3. What's the point of having an Aberdeen music website where people can [u']discuss music if its going to be populated by hipper than thou cunts like you?

what is the point of the Wasteland if not to talk about anything and everything no matter how trivial or tangental to music it is?

Well actually the point of the wasteland is talk about everything that's not related to music. Which is why you'll now find this thread in All Music Discussion.

No, surely you're thinking about the Blow Monkeys - an entirely different band :D

It doesn't really matter if you like them or not - I was only expressing my own opinion - to wit that I was a little disappointed that a record I liked, one that had caught my attention because it stood out from all the other stuff on the radio/tv I hear daily, had been somewhat predictably toppled from grace by the audio syrup concocted by Westlife.

As I pointed out in my original post, I'm past the stage where I care what is "cool" to like. I just like what I like. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinions.

(record! phew! showing my age)

i'll reiterate. stop talking about the arctic monkeys. stop listening to them. stop watching the television.

Which makes you sound like the theme tune to 80s kids show "Why don't you?"

Without trying to be pedantic - right now I'm not watching television. I'm writing this. However, if you are trying to make the point that most tv is shite I would agree with you. That's why i don't watch too much of it as I know it rots your brain.

However, before you ride off into the sunset on your "ain't I a culture vulture" high horse you should perhaps take note of the fact that you contribute to a website that has many threads devoted to the trivial and the mundane. Seeing as you also adore IKEA (Satan's own furnture store owned by dubious Nazi supporting Scandanavians) and like playing video games I would seriously think twice before lecturing someone on how best to spend their spare time.

im with mr disc on this one.

westlife suck cock (one of them even admits it)

the artic monkeys the shit. i never really give two hoops about th charts but i would prefer if a song i liked was number 1' date=' instead of some shitty song.[/quote']

Thank you Mr Tim - couldn't have put it better myself. :cheers: Hearing a song like that in the charts totally reaffirms my faith that not everyone has become a twat.

so by that theory everyone with rubbish music taste is a twat?

hmmmmmm *rolls eyes*

Oh stop it. You're not really that dense are you? I said that I have my own taste. It's not for me to dictate to anyone (and that would include you and all those Westlife fans) what to like. By the same token I am allowed to dislike anything.

My point was that it was nice to think that there were people out there who had a similar taste to my own for once as most chart music doesn't reflect my own taste or probably the tastes of most people on this website.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

dancing%20chicken.jpeg

sounds like you've done your homework. However, bear this in mind

Ikea rules. I don't like paying money for furniture.

Lots of people like playing video games.

Besides, what really rocks my world is pure, unadulterated heroin.

i'll reiterate. stop talking about the arctic monkeys. stop listening to them. stop watching the television.

Stop using annoyingly concise sentence structure when we all know that forums are for incoherent rambling on whichever subject you like before i kick you in the face so you'll have to use tape on your post-(insert some kind of "core") spectacles and then you'll have obtained the geek-chic you oh so achingly long for, so i'll actually have done you a favour, and you might even get a job as a Rick Moranis lookalike. :cheers::D

It will be The Arctic Who in a few months.

Seriously.

Radio fucking one.

They said "this will be number one" and it was

They said the same about Akon and it was aswell.

Coincidence? NO! Just brainwashed goons doing as the airwaves tell them.

I used to wonder why a lot of people I knew, who had never met each other, all spoke in the same stupid way "CHOOOON!!!" "GET IN THERE!!!!" . . . . . . then I heard radio 1 and it all made sense.

Switch off the radio and crack out your mix tapes!

i don't listen to radio 1 or buy nme and i like the arctic monkeys. why is everyone so fucking suspicious of them? a good honest guitar band from britain was number one with a good honest dance your ass off song and all you lot can do is go "they were only number one cause of nme and radio 1 and anyone that likes them is a sheep". what a crock of shit.

arctic monkeys make me shake my ass, that makes me smile and that's why i like em.

westlife will rot in the fiery depths of hell.

i don't listen to radio 1 or buy nme and i like the arctic monkeys. why is everyone so fucking suspicious of them? a good honest guitar band from britain was number one with a good honest dance your ass off song and all you lot can do is go "they were only number one cause of nme and radio 1 and anyone that likes them is a sheep". what a crock of shit.

arctic monkeys make me shake my ass' date=' that makes me smile and that's why i like em.

westlife will rot in the fiery depths of hell.[/quote']

Right on, although Flying Without Wings is ace.

arctic monkeys make me shake my ass' date=' that makes me smile and that's why i like em.

westlife will rot in the fiery depths of hell.[/quote']

fucking right.