aberdeen-music

NEMIS in limbo

Chris

Apparently NEMIS (new music in scotland) have run out of money and are effectively suspending most of their work. Going on the statements released by NEMIS it appears that expected funding from SAC (Scottish Arts Council) has never materialised for one reason or another (bureaucracy, continually changing requirements, apathy towards contemporary music) and they have now finally fun out of the money needed to operate.

More information can be found at:

www.nemis.org

www.myspace.com/nemis05

It's a shame, but at the same time, I question the wisdom of the people in charge after reading this...

While we have had a number of offers from people to raise funds by putting on gigs etc it is my strong belief that if we raise money ourselves it dilutes the political argument that on merit contemporary music in Scotland should be getting the same support as other art forms and that NEMIS has a pivotal role in supporting contemporary music in Scotland.

No. They should be doing what it takes to survive instead of taking the moral high ground. No organisation is worse than having an organisation supported by commercial sponsors and gigs - and I'm sure with their clout, they could organise a one off gig. Keep themselves in the public eye, and they'd have a real shot at getting the funding needed to continue. I know there's the whole "but independence is good!" argument - but at the end of the day, what would be best for the people that they cater for? If they get commercial interests on board, they might get in touch with people with real political clout, which can only help them - after all, look at how many MSP's/etc have "outside interests" outwith Parliament?

What's the point in making a stand if you don't have the cash to sustain such a stand? I've witnessed one such stand - four years later, the Arena in question is still lying unused because the people behind the stand absolutely refuse to entertain any other possibilities. It would seem history is repeating itself here, which is very sad.

Sometimes, doing a deal with the devil is preferable to not being able to do deals with anyone.