aberdeen-music

Guess what just came in the post

framheim

sorry to bring this up but don't you think that all of george lucas' actions since 1997 have only served to further ruin the brilliance of the original star wars films?

The fact that the original versions are not available on dvd for purists like me is jhust salt in an already smarting wound. All in the name of george's "artistic vision". Pah.

greedo shooting first. i mean' date=' come on.[/quote']

i believe they now shoot 'at the same time'. still shit though.

to be honest i don't buy into this whole "lucas has ruined the greatness of the original trilogy" crap. they're still awesome and sith is amazing. frankly the guy can do whatever the hell he wants, they're his films. it's just the same as say gang of four re-recording the songs from 'entertainment' just to cash in on the current hipness of their sound. actually what gang of four have done is worse as it's such a blatant cash in, lucas just wanted to reassess his films. though he is obviously guilty of cashing in elsewhere.

i agree lucas ain't the director he thinks he is but the guy conceived, wrote and directed the greatest movie franchise of all time. he's also done it almost entirely off his own back(i.e without being part of a studio), redesigned the way we hear movies, created one of the most advanced visual effects companies in the known universe, created a company which has produced some damn fine computer games and made a mint off millions of toys that make grown men think they are frickin space wizards. fair play to him.

i believe they now shoot 'at the same time'. still shit though.

to be honest i don't buy into this whole "lucas has ruined the greatness of the original trilogy" crap. they're still awesome and sith is amazing. frankly the guy can do whatever the hell he wants' date=' they're his films. it's just the same as say gang of four re-recording the songs from 'entertainment' just to cash in on the current hipness of their sound. actually what gang of four have done is worse as it's such a blatant cash in, lucas just wanted to reassess his films. though he is obviously guilty of cashing in elsewhere.

i agree lucas ain't the director he thinks he is but the guy conceived, wrote and directed the greatest movie franchise of all time. he's also done it almost entirely off his own back(i.e without being part of a studio), redesigned the way we hear movies, created one of the most advanced visual effects companies in the known universe, created a company which has produced some damn fine computer games and made a mint off millions of toys that make grown men think they are frickin space wizards. fair play to him.[/quote']

Lucas was not responsible for creating the original 3 films off his own back. There was a serious influence on those films from Joseph campell, who is probably responsible for the fact that they were more mythological in tone (not to mention the massive amounts of visual designers). when lucas had free reign the films were clearly poor. The scripts weren't so bad its just Lucas' direction. e.g those scenes where anakin leaves his mother- they were just totally devoid of any emotion. I put this down to the fact that lucas cannot work with actors. and don't start me on the merchandise.

Lucas was not responsible for creating the original 3 films off his own back. There was a serious influence on those films from Joseph campell' date=' who is probably responsible for the fact that they were more mythological in tone (not to mention the massive amounts of visual designers). when lucas had free reign the films were clearly poor. The scripts weren't so bad its just Lucas' direction. e.g those scenes where anakin leaves his mother- they were just totally devoid of any emotion. I put this down to the fact that lucas cannot work with actors. and don't start me on the merchandise.[/quote']

Lucas is one of the biggest airbrushers and re-writers of history since Joseph Stalin. Not that I'm calling the beardy one a mass murdering despot but he has a long record of saying stuff then changing it later - "Oh yeah, I always wanted Jabba the Hutt to look like that" pish! "Greedo always shot first I'm just such a bad film maker that I was unable to show that in 1976" crap! "I've always had the story for episodes 1-3" bollocks.

funny new edition return of the jedi story;

my mate hadn't realised that christianson boy had been cgi'd into the end ghost scene- and when he saw it he was very close to snapping the disc out of fury.

essay question;

"what parallels can be drawn between the ministry of information in George Orwell's 1984 and George Lucas' reedit of Star Wars ?"

what difference does it make if it's haydn christenson or sebastian shaw?

you can't really say that just cause someone was influenced by someones work that means they didn't do something all themselves. hardly anything is totally original and to say that people create things without being influenced by other works would be a ridiculous statement. to say he lucas wasn't responsible for star wars just because he was influenced by someone elses work is equally ridiculous.

Guest bluesxman
because that's when 'anakin' died. after that he became darth vader. or something.

Ha ha, probably, but he physically died as an old guy in the Vader suit, so i'm not buying that one at all. It was one stupid tinker too far for me....

i think the point i was trying to make was the part lucas played in the originals was less and they were better. whereas ep.1-3 he had more input and they were worse. then he retconned the originals and they were worse. ergo: lucas=bad.

i don't just like the originals *because* they're the originals i like them cause they're much better films, engaging, mythical, significant, exciting. not just toy adverts.

really? jedi over empire? wow. rarely do i see that. i mean jedi has some awesome moments(speeder chase for instance, the aformentioned vader/luke fight) but empire is just so dark and has some of the defining moments of the franchise in it(vader revealed as lukes father, han frozen in carbonite, yoda) that it just has to be the winner. a new hope comes a close second for me just cause it's such a classic story done well. young simple man dreaming of a more exciting life gets thrown into a war where he helps save the girl and defeat the villain. you can't help but cheer luke on when he's flying down that trench, and even now i get tense until the falcon arrives to bail him out. yea hammil is wet but that's what luke should be, he's a farmboy thrust into a galactic civil war as it's potential saviour. lucas did a good job on it.

even the new ones have saving graces(i won't bother waxing lyrical about the awesomeness of sith again). clones has some of the finest battle sequences in the franchise and yoda kicking ass! menace has the pod race and the coolest baddy apart from vader himself(and even then, it's close).