aberdeen-music

okay, what would be the best promotional "tool" for aberdeen-music...?

Guest pop-notmyface

but that will be the aspect wherever you go really....

i'm talking about getting it out to as many people as possible.

As many people as possible?

Best bet would be decent posters put up in prominent places in all the venues - encouraging people to come and check it out. Convincing promoters to also mention a-m.com wouldn't hurt, as would getting them to offer discounts to people who were made aware of the gig through this website.

Ultimately though, a good website will promote itself.

Ultimately though' date=' a good website will promote itself.[/quote']

really? how? by taking on some kind of sentient mind of it's own and spamming mailboxes once it reaches critical 'goodness'?

word of mouth only goes so far on the web and doesn't reach everyone that could make good use of this website. so many people in aberdeen have no idea about things that happen here and even less about this website.

a girl in my class moved here a few years ago from holland and asked me recently if there was any rock clubs in aberdeen. i was quite surprised cause i assumed(obviously naively) that if you were into rock and metal you would've seeked these places out straight away but i guess how would they know where to look? i give the addresss to this website to lots of people when they ask me about gigs that are happening in aberdeen but i guess it could reach more. thing is neil's a busy guy, this is a service he provides but it's not his job and perhaps he doesn't have the time to go out postering and advertising it.

anyway, we were invited to take a guess. does that mean popnotmyface has the answer already?

Guest pop-notmyface
As many people as possible?

Best bet would be decent posters put up in prominent places in all the venues - encouraging people to come and check it out. Convincing promoters to also mention a-m.com wouldn't hurt' date=' as would getting them to offer discounts to people who were made aware of the gig through this website.

Ultimately though, a good website will promote itself.[/quote']

that is a very good point. but you know, we are all just a bunch of stuck-up scenesters...but the aberdeen-music.com website is pretty good in itself.

okay, i'll spill the beans here: myspace.com

okay, before anyone jumps to any conclusions...

yes, it sounds pretty lame.

yes, i'm running out of "cons" here.

BUT, and this is a big but (no pun), myspace is slowly taking over the world of young people if you know what i mean. and the music side to myspace is massive as well. which in turn would mean easy contact to bands and plenty of opportunities for venue promotion.

it would kind of make sense, doesn't it?

this is just something for Neil to give a quick thought to. and i'd be surprised if he hasn't done so already....

I like the sentiment behind saying MySpace, but there's a concern that it'll change for the worse now that Murdoch has his paws on it. He has a long history of building something up for free, only to then extract more and more money from it (see Sky Television/BSkyB). I reckon (but could be completely wrong) that Neil values the "independence" of a-m.com, and relying on Myspace in any way could compromise that. I don't think it would hurt to create an account on there specifically for the intention of friend whoring though...

As for how a good website will promote itself, take a look at http://www.thehockeyforum.com. I'm aware that there's a convoluted proceedure for registering, but the site is *the* discussion board for ice hockey in the UK. They've gained the reputation by holding yearly hockey matches featuring people from the site, along with making badges and selling e-mail addresses. The hockey community is a pretty friendly one, so the site has grown in reputation without "advertising" as such, but by relying on word of mouth. Whatever happened to the old clich - "who are you on the boards?"

Look at the Eskimo Blonde thread in the Feedback forum - who is gonna join this forum and leave feedback if they see that? too much stuff here is shot down in flames by people - I know this sounds controversial, but I would back a stated policy of "if you have nothing good to say, don't say it" on here, until such a point comes that the site is mature enough to handle negative feedback/discussion.

Guest pop-notmyface

i think, so far, aberdeen-music has gotten where it is today through word of mouth, but there is that "next level".

some venues such as Moshulu already has a myspace page, and just have a look at what kind of more-or-less commercial and stateside acts they manage to pull in. aberdeen-music is about aberdeens music scene, and i think a myspace page about this could pull all of it together, which could potentially mean getting more international acts as well as promoting local bands.

and myspace is still free for the timebeing...

Guest DustyDeviada

I think somebody should slag off some local band on here, thus guaranteeing national TV coverage when said band takes their case to some ropey, second-rate daytime TV show.

thats a rather silly idea' date=' how do they prove it? come in with a screenshot that they printed off because their mates said it would be 1 cheaper?? [/quote']

E-mail the promoter? Go to a special website to generate a random code to get money off?

To expand the idea a bit more, you could have a special bit on this website. You could go to it, input your e-mail address into it and get a special password (randomly generated each time, and linked to an e-mail address, perhaps even the e-mail address used to register for this site - giving the promoter valuable data to work with), and you simply take the password to the gig and get some cash off. Even if it's just 50p, the temptation of "saving money" might encourage people to go to the gig when they previously weren't going to go. This would mean the website would get the benefit of people signing up to receive the discounts on gigs, and if the promoters are good enough, they wouldn't miss the money lost on offering the discounts anyway.

Hmm, why doesn't aberdeen-music.com hold gigs under the name? There's no reason why they couldn't become respected, if the idea was to simply put on bands that use the website. The door charge could be kept low too if it was just local bands, and it could raise some money for the site?

The clever part could come in by increasing the interactivity of the site - say two months in advance, four polls representing four (broad) genres could be held, one each week, with the winners forming the lineup for the gig - which would be known a month in advance (in order to give people time to plan for the gig).

I suppose this would tie in really well with the myspace idea too..

Guest DustyDeviada
Second rate ???

Didnt you see Carol Smilie on there :p A list surely...

The judge was more up my street.

You just know you're not going to get an easy ride when she's on the bench.

Peoples-Court-RA_side.jpg

Yum yum.

The clever part could come in by increasing the interactivity of the site - say two months in advance' date=' four polls representing four (broad) genres could be held, one each week, with the winners forming the lineup for the gig - which would be known a month in advance (in order to give people time to plan for the gig)[/quote']

is that not just what AUBL did?

is that not just what AUBL did?

Yeah' date=' but weren't those gigs always busy? The idea of breaking it up would ensure variety to the night though, and the gigs would stand alone, away from any accusations of bias.

seems like an unnecessary amount of work to pull in 4 people who might or might not have come to show. i would much rather be flyering and talking to people about the show and building up a hype which will ultimately bring more people to shows

How much effort does it really require? The hardest part would be writing the code for the website to do it in the first place. The promoter would only have to print out a list before the gig of the codes issued and e-mail addresses, and mark them off as people arrived. The website would do all the hard work, while providing an incentive for people to come here and check the gigs out in the first place.

Even if it pulls five more people to a show, it's five people that wouldn't have came otherwise, right?

The best tool would be increasing the diversity of the posters on here. I don't think it escapes people's attention that some aspects of the music scene are over represented' date=' while other aspects are completely ignored.[/quote']

Aye, but as soon as any of the other areas of music speak up they are either ignored or shot down in flames.