aberdeen-music

George Best dies:

Guest MerryChristmas

True' date=' though it's been phrased as "now your own borrowed time and someone elses liver... your marriage will break down and death will welcome you with open arms if you dont do something about it.... *a few days later is down the pub*"

He's selfish if he can't see byond his own weak means... I lack sympathy for the guy now.[/quote']

But he is an addict. It is a bit more difficult to just say "quit drinking" and he would do it. His mother was also a chronic alcoholic, its in the genes.

I don't suppose he ever set out to be an alcoholic with his own, and others around his, life in ruins. Not many people do. HIs mother was also an alcoholic. There is a strong genetic predispensity towards alcoholism. I have managed to get to nearly middle age without being an alcoholic or a drug addict, but I lost a dear friend to one of these illnesses earlier this year and I lived for a long time with someone who suffered from the other. Do I think it serves them right? No. Do I know how hard it is to live with someone in those circumstances? Yes. I try not to judge people on these issues nowadays.

Guest DustyDeviada
But he is an addict. It is a bit more difficult to just say "quit drinking" and he would do it. His mother was also a chronic alcoholic' date=' its in the genes.[/quote']

It will be a sad day when George eventually goes, but at least we will be able to console ourselves with the knowledge that his "celebrity" son is likely to go the same way.

There's no rules about threads being in bad taste.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If I call you or anyone else a fucking twat (which I'm not by the way), I could get banned.

But if I make a "joke" about people dying in their millions in Africa, then that's fair game cos we're allowed to cross the boundaries of bad taste.

Nonsense.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If I call you or anyone else a fucking twat (which I'm not by the way)' date=' I could get banned.

But if I make a "joke" about people dying in their millions in Africa, then that's fair game cos we're allowed to cross the boundaries of bad taste.

Nonsense.[/quote']

one is a personal attack on a board member, which is against the site rules.

the other is a joke of questionable taste. if you make it people might think you're a wanker and the thread will probably get closed eventually anyway but there's no rules saying you can't make the joke.

Frankly you got it bang on. You can get banned for personal attacks (for rather obvious reasons) but there's nothing particularly wrong with having a shit sense of humour.

Although obviously everything depends on context and there may be situations where humour would be deemed inappropiate.

I don't suppose he ever set out to be an alcoholic with his own' date=' and others around his, life in ruins. Not many people do. HIs mother was also an alcoholic. There is a strong genetic predispensity towards alcoholism. I have managed to get to nearly middle age without being an alcoholic or a drug addict, but I lost a dear friend to one of these illnesses earlier this year and I lived for a long time with someone who suffered from the other. Do I think it serves them right? No. Do I know how hard it is to live with someone in those circumstances? Yes. I try not to judge people on these issues nowadays.[/quote']

Indeed, not all people can handle fame. Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Robbie Williams (ok he got help), Keith Moon etc.

Some people like Best, handle fame by getting fucked. Sometimes the person cant stop doing this, it leads to a problem. Just like Stroppy cow, I dont judge.

Look at Larry Hagman (JR Ewing from Dallas). He had a liver transplant, still couldnt stop drinking and admits that he cant. He stated that if he is offered another liver, he will decline because he thinks it should go to someone more deserving. Not all people who have a problem should be looked down on IMHO

True' date=' though it's been phrased as "now your own borrowed time and someone elses liver... your marriage will break down and death will welcome you with open arms if you dont do something about it.... *a few days later is down the pub*"

He's selfish if he can't see byond his own weak means... I lack sympathy for the guy now.[/quote']

yip pretty much. He didnt deserve a second chance the way hes disrespected and treated his new liver.Id be damned to put mine on the donor list if a silly man such as himself would get it. Not like a johnny you know.Cant just release your load and bin it.

one is a personal attack on a board member' date=' which is against the site rules.

the other is a joke of questionable taste. if you make it people might think you're a wanker and the thread will probably get closed eventually anyway but there's no rules saying you can't make the joke.

[/quote']

So if I say "Chris, you are a cunt" will you close the thread?

I think most people's reserves of sympathy for George Best were used up a few years ago. He has had an awful lot of "second chances".

It must be said though' date=' what kind of idiot sells or provides alcohol to the most famous alcoholic in the country?

AKM[/quote']

possibly the kind of idiot that receives a 100 pound note for 8 cans of special brew, along with the words, "keep the change".