aberdeen-music

Racism!

Benji

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Article

After many cities not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights.

After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered.

This prompted the editorial below written by a UK citizen. Published in a British tabloid newspaper.

IMMIGRANTS, NOT BRITON'S, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on London, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Brits. However, the dust from the attacks has barely settled and the "politically correct" crowd begin complaining about the possibility that our patriotism is offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Britain. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of London being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Britons, we have our own culture, our own society, our own

language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over centuries of wars, struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of

the world as your new home, Because God is part of our culture. If St. George's cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE". You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.

After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered.

What's people's opinion on this? Should she be allowed to do it, or should it be a requirement of any state issued identification that the whole face is visible?

Anyway, as far as I see it, she would only be shooting herself in the back if she was required to show her licence to a police officer - as they would undoubtably want more proof that she is the actual person in the photograph.

IMMIGRANTS' date=' NOT BRITON'S, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on London, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Brits. However, the dust from the attacks has barely settled and the "politically correct" crowd begin complaining about the possibility that our patriotism is offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Britain. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of London being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Britons, we have our own culture, our own society, our own

language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over centuries of wars, struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of

the world as your new home, Because God is part of our culture. If St. George's cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE". You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.[/quote']

the only bit i agree with in this whole bit is that people moving to britain should make some effort to learn english. but then surely it's common sense for them to do so anyway if they want to buy bread, go to the cinema, watch tv and get a job here. rest of it is english nationalism verging on bnp rhetoric.

as far as i knew we were working towards a secular society with a seperation between church and state. in other words we may have been founded by christians(frankly, i think you'll find we were founded by a disparate group of tribal leaders seeking to unite against the romans but i'm sure god played a hand eh) but that's not so relevant now.

we may have our own culture and lifestyle but surely that's an amalgamtion of different cultures which have enhanced british life and in fact have become part of what it is to be british. indian food for instance.

as for diluting our sovereignity, that's a bit rich when our royal family are german.

frankly life would be dull if we had only our own british culture to amuse ourselves with. i mean i've got nothing against traditional scottish culture or food and indeed nothing against english, welsh or irish ones but i'm sure everyone agrees that life is more interesting with people from different cultures introducing new ideas, flavours, colours and sounds to mix in with what we've already got. it's not as simple as one group adapting. we should welcome immigrants and they should look forward to joining a community.

the world is slowly and stutteringly becoming one big multicultural society and it's only going to continue, people like the letter writer need to wake up to this fact and get with the times. the england they imagine doesn't exist anymore and never will again. and it's better for it.

What's people's opinion on this? Should she be allowed to do it' date=' or should it be a requirement of any state issued identification that the whole face is visible?

Anyway, as far as I see it, she would only be shooting herself in the back if she was required to show her licence to a police officer - as they would undoubtably want more proof that she is the actual person in the photograph.[/quote']

i don't see the sense in this to be honest. i can see why they've allowed it but it's surely daft. they be as well just have a blank square on it. sounds like the kind of move designed to stop litigation.

After many cities not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights.

This prompted the editorial below written by a UK citizen. Published in a British tabloid newspaper.

are you sure this was published in a national newspaper?

i googled the first few words and the only (3) results that turned up were in questionable, right-wing blogs

are you sure this was published in a national newspaper?

i googled the first few words and the only (3) results that turned up were in questionable' date=' right-wing blogs[/quote']

yup I'm with you on this one. it doesn't sound like somthing the guardian would print to start with and it also mirrors the rhetoric of a right wing email that's been circulating from America recently. Lately this has been adapted to the UK in a haphazard way kepping all the US specific stuff in it such as the line about "In god we trust". This is not the motto of the UK and no similar motto exists on these shores. It's an American motto adopted in the civil war era and has no bearing whatsoever on the UK.

Basically I call bollocks on the whole letter. If it was published then shame on the letters editor who printed it and double shame on the mis-informed neanderthal that wrote it.

Guest blackadder
I'm not against any race / colour / religion / sexual orientation or whatever. I take people as they come. If I think someone is a dick' date=' I'll tell them, be they black, white, or bloody purple.

Andy[/quote']

sums it up very nicely :D

Fi

I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but on immigration, Scotland needs more people coming into the country. If I remember correctly, if the current trend continues, our population will have dropped from 5 million to 4 million by 2050. I think a lot of the anti-immigration stuff comes partly from the fact that the South of England seems to be saturated with people (to the point where there isn't enough room for the amount of people living there) but mostly from the fact that the government are using immigration as a kind of mask - basically getting everyone to moan about "bloody foreigners" whilst hiding the fact that they're running the country into the ground. It was the same when the government got into power and started attacking single mothers.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I don't know if anyone's said this yet' date=' but on immigration, Scotland needs more people coming into the country. If I remember correctly, if the current trend continues, our population will have dropped from 5 million to 4 million by 2050. I think a lot of the anti-immigration stuff comes partly from the fact that the South of England seems to be saturated with people (to the point where there isn't enough room for the amount of people living there) but mostly from the fact that the government are using immigration as a kind of mask - basically getting everyone to moan about "bloody foreigners" whilst hiding the fact that they're running the country into the ground. It was the same when the government got into power and started attacking single mothers.[/quote']

Excellent, valid points, well made. If it's not single-parents, it's asylum seekers or youth that bear the brunt of the scapegoating.

On a side note, you have to question what's so great about a country when more people consistently leave than come in.

What i found pretty funny was the riots in birmingham recently...

All caused amongst blacks an arabs...how can they possibly complain about racism when they are blatently doing it amongst themselves...

:gringo:

It was Asians not Arabs. Although I suppose that's beside the point. Racism is unacceptable. There's no justification and it doesn't matter who is discriminating against who. It's simply wrong. Frankly I don't know how this thread has managed to debate the issue for so long, there's nothing to argue about. There is no rational case to justify discrimination.

We're supposed to be an intelligent, civilised society yet we can't show understanding and tolerance towards our own neighbours and colleauges just because of the colour of their skin, where they were born or the god they worship. Despicable.

One thing that REALLY annoys me on the whole racist issue, are these fucking morons who are banning Piggy Banks, so as not to offend certain races, or banning childrens' nursery rhymes such as a Ba Ba Black Sheep! That in itself is racist! By doing this you are treating these people differently on the grounds of the race / religion. There is not need for this kind of crap! When these people come to our country, they are quite aware that they will need to adapt to an extent, which is fair enough. When they were thinking of banning xmas cards in some offices as not to offend Muslims, it was the Muslims themselves that came forward to say that it was ridiculous - which it is! Doing this is only giving people more ammuntion to discriminate and hate.

Andy

One thing that REALLY annoys me on the whole racist issue' date=' are these fucking morons who are banning Piggy Banks, so as not to offend certain races, or banning childrens' nursery rhymes such as a Ba Ba Black Sheep! That in itself is racist! By doing this you are treating these people differently on the grounds of the race / religion. There is not need for this kind of crap! When these people come to our country, they are quite aware that they will need to adapt to an extent, which is fair enough. When they were thinking of banning xmas cards in some offices as not to offend Muslims, it was the Muslims themselves that came forward to say that it was ridiculous - which it is! Doing this is only giving people more ammuntion to discriminate and hate.

Andy[/quote']

the thing is though that what you're ranting about doesn't happen. the only thing i can find is from 5 years ago where one council suggested that baa baa black sheep was offensive but the ban never went through. i can't find anything about piggy banks(nor can i work out why they should be banned). so from what i can gather you're getting worked up about 1 solitary incident from 5 years ago that never actually went through.

edit: in fact it wasn't even a whole council, it was one nursery inspector suggested that it would be advisable to stop teaching it but he was over ruled.

the thing is though that what you're ranting about doesn't happen. the only thing i can find is from 5 years ago where one council suggested that baa baa black sheep was offensive but the ban never went through. i can't find anything about piggy banks(nor can i work out why they should be banned). so from what i can gather you're getting worked up about 1 solitary incident from 5 years ago that never actually went through.

edit: in fact it wasn't even a whole council' date=' it was one nursery inspector suggested that it would be advisable to stop teaching it but he was over ruled.[/quote']

The Xmas card one was kicking around a year or so ago, the piggy bank thing was something I heard recently, and the sheep one a while back. Whether they went through or not, my point is thus: it's morons walking about making claims like that, that are a big part of the problem. Everyone should treat one another as equals ie, not be extra nice to other races so not to appear racist, as well as not being abusive. And yes to the post after, political correctness is way OTT sometimes!

Andy