aberdeen-music

Racism!

Benji

It winds me right up' date=' these days i feel guilty making eye contact with black people who I dont know for fear of being called a racist for staring or looking at them.

For me it used to be the same with people from India, pakistan and other areas.

Now black people are never black. They are brown of differing shades

White people are never white. They are off white with differing shades

Not even albino humans are white they are off white.

Here is the confusing part, black people can be albino - off white[/quote']

Honey - if you made eye contact with me, I'll just think you fancy me!!

I think I'm off black!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there one of these nightclubs in Portlethen? I wasn't aware of that.

as for your earlier point about award ceremonies' date=' I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Think of it like this - what type of society forces people (whether black, asian or even female) to start their own awards ceremonies in order for people of the same race/sex to actually gain recognition?

These things aren't set up to exclude white people - they're designed to promote black people. There's a subtle diference.

Maybe you should read through this for a bit of insight - [url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_for_the_Advancement_of_Colored_People

Hey - I live out at Portlethen and I've never seen one of these nightclubs!!

on a side note, i wouldn't class the albinos of the world as having their own 'albino race', but more as a group of freak victims of horrible genetic accident. i think this means you can look them in the eye now,without fear of reprisal, but i wouldn't stand too close to them in case you catch something.

It winds me right up' date=' these days i feel guilty making eye contact with black people who I dont know for fear of being called a racist for staring or looking at them.[/quote']

I always try to keep eye contact to show them that I accept black people, as well as other races, but sometimes I do think that it might be construed that I'm just staring at them.

When they walk past you, looking elsewhere than them could also be construed as racism, it's so hard to win when the word racist is flashed around so much these days.

I always try to keep eye contact to show them that I accept black people' date=' as well as other races, but sometimes I do think that it might be construed that I'm just staring at them.

When they walk past you, looking elsewhere than them could also be construed as racism, it's so hard to win when the word racist is flashed around so much these days.[/quote']

why not treat the same as any other person in the street? why do you feel the need to have to anything differently?

I think you're being overly paranoid.

Guest tv tanned
I always try to keep eye contact to show them that I accept black people' date=' as well as other races, but sometimes I do think that it might be construed that I'm just staring at them.

When they walk past you, looking elsewhere than them could also be construed as racism, it's so hard to win when the word racist is flashed around so much these days.[/quote']

Perhaps the first problem here is that you feel black people need to be accepted.

why not treat the same as any other person in the street? why do you feel the need to have to anything differently?

I think you're being overly paranoid.

exactly, this whole stuff about being worried how to look at a black or asian person is fucking ridiculous. the only people i'm ever worried about looking at are large drunk sweary white guys on a friday or saturday night on union street. in fact, any large drunk and sweary guy be it white, black, asian or anything i'm generally wary of looking in their direction.

one time i was walking home and was considering getting a taxi so i walked past the taxi rank and took a look up it to see how big the queue was and some prick goes "what the fuck you looking at you dick, want a smack?". unbelievable. if people have such a problem being looked at they really shouldn't be standing in a taxi queue or indeed be in public at all.

why do you have to think about how to treat someone who looks a little different to you? everyones the fucking same really, we're just different shades. black, asian, goth, ned, punk, indie kid, hip hopper, we're all the fucking same. treat people how you expect to be treated and nothing less and no more.

exactly' date=' this whole stuff about being worried how to look at a black or asian person is fucking ridiculous. the only people i'm ever worried about looking at are large drunk sweary white guys on a friday or saturday night on union street. in fact, any large drunk and sweary guy be it white, black, asian or anything i'm generally wary of looking in their direction.

one time i was walking home and was considering getting a taxi so i walked past the taxi rank and took a look up it to see how big the queue was and some prick goes "what the fuck you looking at you dick, want a smack?". unbelievable. if people have such a problem being looked at they really shouldn't be standing in a taxi queue or indeed be in public at all.

why do you have to think about how to treat someone who looks a little different to you? everyones the fucking same really, we're just different shades. black, asian, goth, ned, punk, indie kid, hip hopper, we're all the fucking same. treat people how you expect to be treated and nothing less and no more.[/quote']

Yep agree with this 100% I treat everyone equally. I know a lot of people tip-toe around other races as not to appear racist, but this is in fact just as racist as spewing abuse at them! Banning xmas cards incase it offends muslims etc etc, it's getting fucking ridiculous! And I'm fed up with other races using inverse racism to their advantage! I know one black guy in particular who pulls the racist card at every available oppertunity to get his way! I enjoy pollitically incorrect jokes, yes they can be sick, but who cares? I'd never repeat them in front of the parties who would be offended, and like people said before, some people need to learn to take a wee joke.

Andy

Yep agree with this 100% I treat everyone equally. I know a lot of people tip-toe around other races as not to appear racist' date=' but this is in fact just as racist as spewing abuse at them! Banning xmas cards incase it offends muslims etc etc, it's getting fucking ridiculous! And I'm fed up with other races using inverse racism to their advantage! I know one black guy in particular who pulls the racist card at every available oppertunity to get his way! I enjoy pollitically incorrect jokes, yes they can be sick, but who cares? I'd never repeat them in front of the parties who would be offended, and like people said before, some people need to learn to take a wee joke.

Andy[/quote']

but they're bad jokes! and they are racist! it's not about learning how to take a joke it's about getting people to understand that there's better and funnier jokes out there that aren't offensive. and just cause you don't tell a racist joke in front of someone who might get offended does not mean that you're not a racist, it's probably worse to be honest than someone who goes ahead and tells jokes about black and chinese people in front of them. at least they can plead ignorance. you understand the offensiveness but still tell the jokes to your friends. and that makes you a racist. i have friends who do the same thing and when they tell a racist joke in the pub i tell them straight that i don't like it and that they're better than that.

i like offensive jokes and comedy. but it can be offensive and not be racist, homophobic or any of that crap. don't be jim davidson, be bill hicks.

Oh right I should not confuse my son with choice instead let a school system preech to him hmm wise up religion is far more confusing' date=' that is why school is not the place for it (although RME is fine with me apart from how it is taught by a small amount of teachers) There are schools where religion is a major part of their education they are the ones where parents choose to put their kids.

weird how you think I shouldn't confuse my kid with my belief, considering my main reason for disliking the schools approach to religion is in some asspects are unfair. he is far to young to be preached to. I do not try to push mine on to him. So see no reason for anyone else doing the same I only want to give him a balanced view of all religions so he can make up his own mind. Also I have not yet removed my son from any part of his school day!.[/quote']

Have you been along to the assemblies etc. to see the extent of this "preaching"? I'm not criticising here, it just surprises me that the contents of assemblies could be so extreme as to cause you offense.

Perhaps you need to think about your approach to the subject in the home and the ways in which they are discussed, as well as approaching the school. I believe that morality and religion are very closely linked and that appealing to this link can be a powerful way of instilling an understanding of the idea of "right" and "wrong" in children, which is why it's there.

I believe that removing children entirely from such things can be dangerous. They will undoubtedly miss out on things which their classmates are a part of and young children can often be bad for attaching a stigma to these kids because they're different from the norm. You should probably exhaust all other possibilities before you decide on this method.

I also think it's worth remembering that atheism comes not from a lack of understanding of what is there, but for a lack of belief, so sheltering children from religions wherever they might be presented, could be counter productive.

This kind of discussion brings to the fore just how much our country is rooted in one specific religion. I wonder if less-religous families ever have the same kind of discussions in countries where the schools preach hardline islam, or any other religion.

Spoons

/x

Have you been along to the assemblies etc. to see the extent of this "preaching"? I'm not criticising here' date=' it just surprises me that the contents of assemblies could be so extreme as to cause you offense.

Perhaps you need to think about your approach to the subject in the home and the ways in which they are discussed, as well as approaching the school. I believe that morality and religion are very closely linked and that appealing to this link can be a powerful way of instilling an understanding of the idea of "right" and "wrong" in children, which is why it's there.

I believe that removing children entirely from such things can be dangerous. They will undoubtedly miss out on things which their classmates are a part of and young children can often be bad for attaching a stigma to these kids because they're different from the norm. You should probably exhaust all other possibilities before you decide on this method.

I also think it's worth remembering that atheism comes not from a lack of understanding of what is there, but for a lack of belief, so sheltering children from religions wherever they might be presented, could be counter productive.

This kind of discussion brings to the fore just how much our country is rooted in one specific religion. I wonder if less-religous families ever have the same kind of discussions in countries where the schools preach hardline islam, or any other religion.

Spoons

/x[/quote']

I agree, you are right I have to think about how I approach things at home and if he asks questiong I make sure I can back them up. I have met with the teacher and at that point decided not to removed him from anything, I do thinkl I shouldn't have to deal with this because I feel there is no place for it in schools. end of

but they're bad jokes! and they are racist! it's not about learning how to take a joke it's about getting people to understand that there's better and funnier jokes out there that aren't offensive. and just cause you don't tell a racist joke in front of someone who might get offended does not mean that you're not a racist' date=' it's probably worse to be honest than someone who goes ahead and tells jokes about black and chinese people in front of them. at least they can plead ignorance. you understand the offensiveness but still tell the jokes to your friends. and that makes you a racist. i have friends who do the same thing and when they tell a racist joke in the pub i tell them straight that i don't like it and that they're better than that.

i like offensive jokes and comedy. but it can be offensive and not be racist, homophobic or any of that crap. don't be jim davidson, be bill hicks.[/quote']

I disagree, I can't help but laugh at some racist jokes, it's one of those things that you laugh because you know you're not supposed to, and I don't believe it makes me a racist. A racist is someone who has a problem with another race, I don't. I have friends of all manner of colour, race & sexual orientation (male & female). I agree that some jokes take it too far and some quite frankly disgust me, but none of us perfect.

Andy

And I'm fed up with other races using inverse racism to their advantage! I know one black guy in particular who pulls the racist card at every available oppertunity to get his way!

I do that ALL the time! I'm mixed race, so my sisters and brother are white but I've got a bit of colour, so if some one calls me, lets say " the black sheep" of family in aconversation about hobbies then it's all "ARE YOU BEING RACIST TOWARDS ME?!" It's pretty funny to watch them get all tongue tied and "No no no no!! o hgod I'm so sorry!" and feel all awkard.

Of course I tell them I'm joking and have no problem with them.

Guest neil ex

Here, I'm not the one that needs to wise up. I'd find it very uncomfortable being caught up in a group of people telling racist jokes.

Here's a good one for everyone, and at the expense of sounding like a smart arse...

What do you call 1 racist on the moon?

A problem

What do you call 10 racists on the moon?

A problem

What do you call 1000 racists on the moon?

A problem

What do you call all the racists on the moon?

Problem solved!

Is it a competition between neil and daveofficer to be the most Politically Correct.

Look at how well Chris Rock has done with his brand of racist comedy - i remember him telling a joke about how pool is racist cos it ends with the white ball potting the black. is he being racist towards the whites? are you going to codemn him?!

(the joke was in a film if i remember rightly)

You two need to live a little and stop tip-toeing around.

Yeah' date=' National Security (awful, awful film) was full of jokes by the black man about the white man. No-one batted an eyelid at that, either.[/quote']

How about blazing Saddles, one of the funniest most racist films out there... and yet it has a big cast of black people? go figure eh.

"dock that chink a days pay for nappin gon the job"

hahahahahaha

Is it a competition between neil and daveofficer to be the most Politically Correct.

Look at how well Chris Rock has done with his brand of racist comedy - i remember him telling a joke about how pool is racist cos it ends with the white ball potting the black. is he being racist towards the whites? are you going to codemn him?!

(the joke was in a film if i remember rightly)

You two need to live a little and stop tip-toeing around.

it's not about being politically correct. i'm not the most politically correct person around as i'm sure my friends will tell you, i live by treating people as i expect to be treated and that's all. i'm not going to apologise for calling people on racist comments or behaviour. fuck that. i'll stand up and be counted for what i believe in and it's people like yourself that need to get with the times.

that chris rock joke isn't racist towards white people. how is that in anyway racist towards white people? he's not saying anything derogatory or offensive to white people, he's just making a joke playing on peoples perceptions of the put upon black man complaining about everything symbolising black peoples relationship with white people. it's called satire. same goes for blazing saddles. do you think the producers is glorifying fascism as well?

I'm not too PC myself but I still wouldn't treat anyone differently for their colour or religion. Some jokes just are funny' date=' it's the poeple who do treat others differently that are the true racists.

Nothing wrong with a good 'satirical' joke or two...[/quote']

argh, you can't just justify racist jokes by calling them satire. there's a difference between satire and just offensive jokes. do you understand that?

i appreciate that there is a difference between joining national front and telling or laughing at a joke about chinese people in the pub. my point throughout this entire time is merely that the latter is a form of casual racism that is still offensive and racist though on a smaller scale. i feel it has no place in an intelligent and equal society and will continue to say that until someone listens. they're quite often terrible jokes as well which don't even deserve a giggle, people should put their minds to better use and get some good jokes.

Guest neil ex

'Oh lighten up!' PC gone mad?!! - That's just a common answer that's been echoed thoughout this thread for defending racist jokes, when in reality there's no defence for them.

Would you have a laugh at a racist joke with (and to quote you) 'a true racist'?

argh' date=' you can't just justify racist jokes by calling them satire. there's a difference between satire and just offensive jokes. do you understand that? [/quote']

Okay, two scenarios to present.

Number one : A film is made, starring a white protagonist and a black protagonist. Black man makes satrical remarks throughout the film about the white man, including pretty satrical "racist" stuff. See also : National Security

Number two : A film is made, starring a white protagonist and a black protagonist. White man makes satrical remarks through the film about the black man, including pretty satrical "racist" stuff.

What's more likely to generate offence?

I know people that say things in a satrical way such as "black men can run fast because they're used to running away" - is that racist? Or simply satrical?

There's a thin line between satire and racism, and perhaps it would be better for everyone if no-one approached it rather than pushing it.