aberdeen-music

FAO brainy computer people

Rhiannon

If someone is retarded enough to open an essay from an email (and not save it), spend a few hours typing 6 pages of calulations and discussion, then save it when closing Word.

Where the hell does it go?

I've looked everywhere.

if it got saved to a tempory folder would it have been deleted once I logged off?

:dunce:

Before you get into anything to complicated, have you

Checked the file attachment on the email to see if this is the updated version?

Have you gone into Search, type the document name and waited for it to scan your pc?

START > SEARCH > FOR FILES OR FOLDERS

You should also try the temporary Windows/Word fold as World has an inbuilt auto save function and may have saved it to one of the temp folders..

These are some simple idea's but if youv done these and still no luck, let me know and i'll give you some more indepth info on what to do!!

what to do is open word again(if you're still at the same computer) and select a new document or any document then click save as. the folder that opens should be the folder that you last saved something to and that's where your document should be. if you don't know how to get to that folder click the 'up one level' button and follow it till you get to a directory you recognise then work from there to open it again and save it where you want to.

this might not work, as i'm not sure if every program opens the save as directory in the place you last saved to but i've tried that a few times on other programs when i've not been paying attention where i was saving things and it worked then, so worth a shot.

Uni computers eh, there a whole different story! Because they'r on a network it may be a little harder to retrieve!

It just depends which uni your at and what building you were in! I know that RGU have a sytems where upon they can trace your "movements" on the computer and potentially salvage your work (or a good percentage of it)

Aberdeen have a similar system in place, mostly for instances when the computers crash or there is a power cut etc!! If none of whats allready been writen works, ask the IT Admin officer as they'd be your best bet!

Which mail client are you using at Uni? Your client will most likely download the document to its own little cache which is where you opened it from, and if you just hit save, it will save it back there. Outlook does this anyway....I'm not sure what the likes of Eudora etc do....if it was webmail, it will be in temp internet files. Your computer may purge these each time you log off if they are concerned about disk space. I take it you have a roaming profile (ie. each PC you log on you see the same desktop, My Docs etc?) in that case there may be the possibility the file still exists, but it probably has a funny name like 0000001213414attach_word.doc.attch or something. Good luck.

Lesson learned.... FILE > SAVE AS....and choose your location carefully!

arf!

what keilen said...

this reminds me of an amusing incident when a manager of a club.. lets call him Al

did a whole bunch of expenses on an excel spreadsheet that he'd opened from an email attachment and clicked 'save'... then wondered later where they'd gone... :)

Save As is there to help you

dont ever forget that

:up: