aberdeen-music

Best guitar amp?

Hog

Don't go Mesa and DEFINATELY NOT MARSHALL!!!

A Marshall JCM800 with Groove Tube 6550's and an EQ pedal sounds fucking ace!

There's nothing wrong with Mesa, that's what I use and if you spend time with it, you can get some very awesome tones from it (using the KFK-1 EQ, there's even more to achieve!).

Hog, you HAVE to play the various amps that interest you, it's all taste. That's the best way to choose.

If I was buying another amp (if I didn't have the Mesa), my list would be:

Mesa Dual Rectifier

ENGL Powerball

Randall Warhead X2

Krank Krankenstein

Krank Revolution

Peavey 5150 II

Peavey 6505 (may not be ANY different to 5150 II though)

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Framus Cobra

Diezel VH-4 (very expensive mind)

Marshall JCM 800 2203

Marshall JCM 900 SL-X

Bogner Uberschall

I'd try those if it was me, and we have similar music taste! :D

The Single is 50W, Dual is 100W and Triple is 150W.

Urm, in my experience, the Single Rectifiers sound a bit purer and a bit brighter than the Dual and Triple. You can also get decent sounds at low volumes because of power tube clipping coming into play. The Dual and Triple will sound ok lower aswell because most of the juice is coming from the pre-amp, but IMO the Single was better for that.

Because of the different headoom of each, clean tones will be impacted. The Single's cleans will break up at lower volumes than the Dual or Triple's will. In other words there'll be more clarity for cleans on the bigger the amp (wattage) of the series.

I got away fine with using my Single for gigging as it doesn't need to be ear popping-ly loud on stage but still gets the desired cranked tone. You can just then mic it up to the P.A. and there ya go!

my dear shiny guitar player.... just get your arse out earlyer in the morn instead of spending hours in this forum and go and try out some amps go to as many music shops as you can since they will have a different selectio.

go play choose my son

That is a very valid point :D

Mesa Dual Rectifier

ENGL Powerball

Randall Warhead X2

Krank Krankenstein

Krank Revolution

Peavey 5150 II

Peavey 6505 (may not be ANY different to 5150 II though)

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Framus Cobra

Diezel VH-4 (very expensive mind)

Marshall JCM 800 2203

Marshall JCM 900 SL-X

Bogner Uberschall

I'd try those if it was me' date=' and we have similar music taste! :D[/quote']

the thing is dude, theres nowhere near that stocks half those amps. Granted a marshall or a mesa you could try out in shops, peavey as well - but Framus/Diezel/Bogner etc are simply not stocked in shops in Scotland, and therefore not available to try out.

the thing is dude' date=' theres nowhere near that stocks half those amps. Granted a marshall or a mesa you could try out in shops, peavey as well - but Framus/Diezel/Bogner etc are simply not stocked in shops in Scotland, and therefore not available to try out.[/quote']

I know! I think somewhere in London has Diezel and Framus etc. but it's just a pain really! Cos I HAVE to play an amp before considering it! It's frustrating that - going by that method - I'll end up with something similar to everyone else!

I know! I think somewhere in London has Diezel and Framus etc. but it's just a pain really! Cos I HAVE to play an amp before considering it! It's frustrating that - going by that method - I'll end up with something similar to everyone else!

Mansons guitar shop in Exeter is one of only 2 places in Britains that sells Diezels. (the other one supplies them to Manson's!)

That's where I got mine from and they are superb for customer services etc.

They also custom build Matt Belamy from muses guitars in that shop...

I also bought my '...And Justice For All' tab book from Manson's when I was down in Exeter about 4 years or so ago... ;)

Framus amps can be bought from Gak.com, but also Thomann.de which I think is german but apparently they are very good.