aberdeen-music

Metal/Rock Hi Hats Zildjian

Scootray

Just wondering what would be the best kind of Hi hats for metal/rock drumming? At the moment I've got my Titanium ZXT hi-hats and I'm gradually updating and upgrading my kit (as funds allow).

Preferably from the Zildjian range, but any other suggestions would be welcome. I was thinking the A range would be suitable?

The only real way to find the hi-hats for you is to go and play some of them.

You can check out soundclips on:

www.meinlcymbals.com

http://www.beta.paiste.com/products/cymbals/default.php

www.sabian.com

www.zildjian.com

While these don't truly reflect the cymbals' sounds, they will give a good indication, helping you narrow your search.

Sounds like A-Custom Mastersounds Tav.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering what would be the best kind of Hi hats for metal/rock drumming? At the moment I've got my Titanium ZXT hi-hats and I'm gradually updating and upgrading my kit (as funds allow).

Preferably from the Zildjian range' date=' but any other suggestions would be welcome. I was thinking the A range would be suitable?[/quote']

Opinions are like arseholes, so you're going to get 100 different suggestions here.

General advice....if it's metal you're playing, you need heavy hats (14" or 15"). Paiste/Sabian/Zildjian all make great cymbals, so you cant do much wrong there. Personally, I am and have always been a Zildjian man....personal preference. You've got to try them to be sure.

If it's Zildjian, Z-Custom or K/Z Dyno-beats are both pretty good for heavy music. Sabian's AA or AAX range are also v.good.

Be prepared to spend at least 175 for decent hats.

EDIT: Zildjian A range is also good, but not as good as the more expensive Z-Custom range which is rock/metal specific.

Many people find the Z-customs to be of a terrible sound quality when played by themselves. Great live, terrible acoustic, or so I've heard. My wrists couldn't handle them either, I find even power crashes a bit too cumbersome and insensitive at times.

To be honest, if you play metal you don't have to use heavy or large hats. 13"s are just as suitable as 15"s. Just try some out and choose; it's the only way really.

However, since we're talking about hats, heavy will give you a very clean bright cutting sound. And many models are on the thick side anyway, therefore Z-Customs/Rudes may well be what you want, I hear the Rude Soundedges are stupidly versatile.