aberdeen-music

trading places

chrisdoherty67

watched it last nite' date=' great film[/quote']

Oh yes. A complete belter.

"I have LEGS. I can SEE!"

"Where are your bitches, Mr. Big-Time Pimp?"

Brilliant film. "Did you know" it was originally set to be a Gene Wilder / Richard Pryor vehicle in the vein of Stir Crazy / See No Evil Hear no Evil etc. but Eddie Murphy didn't want to be typecast as another "funny black dude" a la Pryor , so they got Akroyd in instead. It's directed by the same guy who directed the Blues Brothers, John Landis, which explains its quality :D

Oh yes. A complete belter.

"I have LEGS. I can SEE!"

"Where are your bitches' date=' Mr. Big-Time Pimp?"

Brilliant film. "Did you know" it was originally set to be a Gene Wilder / Richard Pryor vehicle in the vein of Stir Crazy / See No Evil Hear no Evil etc. but Eddie Murphy didn't want to be typecast as another "funny black dude" a la Pryor , so they got Akroyd in instead. It's directed by the same guy who directed the Blues Brothers, John Landis, which explains its quality :D[/quote']

ahh, your a man that appreciates the finer things in life. have you seen the distinguished gentleman? another class murphy film

Guest DustyDeviada
does jamie lee curtis not have a knob?

Possibly.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.htm

I actually think it probably is Eddie Murphy's finest, what do other people think it is? Beverly Hills Cop?

My favourite line: "Yeah, the phone in the limo was busted. What is ya, ignorant?"

PS It's officially un-PC to like John Landis these days following all the Twighlight Zone/child death business.

EDIT: Bah, too slow!

Guest tv tanned
I actually think it probably is Eddie Murphy's finest' date=' what do other people think it is? Beverly Hills Cop?[/quote']

Shrek :D

Nah, personally I was a bigger fan of Coming To America and 48 Hours, but that is not to say I don't enjoy Trading Places, although when you see the brick sized cellphones you realise how dated 80s movies have become!!!

ahh' date=' your a man that appreciates the finer things in life. have you seen the distinguished gentleman? another class murphy film[/quote']

Oh aye - It's a beezer too!

Cliched I know - But you just cannae beat Beverly Hills Cop. I think i've seen that film over a hundred times! There was a time i'd watch that film every week when I was at school!

"What's the charge for being thrown out of a moving vehicle? Jaywalking?"

"Herpolsemplex 10 - I think he'd better get checked out before things start falling of fthe man, d'you know what I'm sayin'?

"Michael Jackson could be standing on top of the world, as long as he doesn't stay at the Beverly Palm hotel, because THEY DON'T ALOW NO NIGGERS IN THERE!"

"What is this man doing here?"

"Bleeding, sir"

Definitely in my top ten films of all time!

Possibly.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.htm

I actually think it probably is Eddie Murphy's finest' date=' what do other people think it is? Beverly Hills Cop?

My favourite line: "Yeah, the phone in the limo was busted. What is ya, ignorant?"

PS It's officially un-PC to like John Landis these days following all the Twighlight Zone/child death business.

EDIT: Bah, too slow![/quote']

i think it is definatly best to forget boomerang tho

Guest DustyDeviada

Beverly Hills Cop is class, but I personally think Trading Places just edges it.

"You're not gonna fall for the banana in the tail pipe?" (I've actually seen where that was filmed, not Beverly Hills but actually downtown LA, fact fans)

"The same, crappy Blue Chevy Nova"

"You want it with the lemon twist?"

"Is this the man who... wrecked the buffet"

Too many to mention.

Beverly Hills Cop is class' date=' but I personally think Trading Places just edges it.

"You're not gonna fall for the banana in the tail pipe?" (I've actually seen where that was filmed, not Beverly Hills but actually downtown LA, fact fans)

"The same, crappy Blue Chevy Nova"

"You want it with the lemon twist?"

"Is this the man who... wrecked the buffet"

Too many to mention.[/quote']

you know too much

Guest DustyDeviada

Well, back in the good old days, video tapes were really expensive. Taping a film off the telly generally meant taping over another film as you only ever had a couple of tapes at a time. The same went for bought video tapes (or "sell-through") and my brother gave me Beverly Hills Cop for my 8th birthday at a time when my video collection consisted of:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Blues Brothers

Blackadder Series 2

(all taped off the telly)

Needless to say I watched BHC loads and loads of times as a kid and can just about recite the whole thing.

Same for The Blues Brothers, but there's not too much dialogue in TGTBaTU.

Well' date=' back in the good old days, video tapes were really expensive. Taping a film off the telly generally meant taping over another film as you only ever had a couple of tapes at a time. The same went for bought video tapes (or "sell-through") and my brother gave me Beverly Hills Cop for my 8th birthday at a time when my video collection consisted of:

The Blues Brothers

Blackadder Series 2

Needless to say I watched BHC loads and loads of times as a kid and can just about recite the whole thing.

Same for The Blues Brothers, but there's not too much dialogue in TGTBaTU.[/quote']

well thats fair enough!! id have to say BHC 3 is highly under rated, maybe not as good as one and two but still class

Well' date=' back in the good old days, video tapes were really expensive. Taping a film off the telly generally meant taping over another film as you only ever had a couple of tapes at a time. The same went for bought video tapes (or "sell-through") and my brother gave me Beverly Hills Cop for my 8th birthday at a time when my video collection consisted of:

The Blues Brothers

Blackadder Series 2

Same for The Blues Brothers, but there's not too much dialogue in TGTBaTU.[/quote']

Scary!

Similar deal for me!

I taped BHC off the telly, over a bought version of Home Alone (which I'd grown out of) by carefully placing sellotape over the "copy protect tab." My sister and I then proceded to watch it every week and can almost recite it too! Brilliant! All those quotes from the film you mentioned are my faves too - honestly! I was just trying to be obscure with mine before, but really, they are brilliant ones you've picked!

"You're not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe" must be recited with the piss - take voice Axl used"

"The same, crappy Blue Chevy Nova" - Complete class the way he reels that off! Preceded by the almost as good "No, in Beverly Hills we just take whatever car's nearest"

"Is this the man who... wrecked the buffet" - The way he says that is too funny, with the emphasis on WRECKED!

How about:

"It's an Anti - banana disguise - you keep it, Billy"

"Can I have some extra mayo"

Shrimp salad sandwich

Goodbye Mr Foley

"You do that again... I'll shoot you myself!"

"Be careful old boy, you might hit me."

"Don't worry about me. We've got cocaine and coffee here. We're gonna get wired and have a big party."

or my all time fave -

"The truck, man. It just stopped. it just stopped" followed by "No, that ain't me, I'm from Buffalo"

Ace.

And good skills for being a fellow BHC fan! I would say it slightly edges trading Places, but they are both superb films, so never mind!

well thats fair enough!! id have to say BHC 3 is highly under rated' date=' maybe not as good as one and two but still class[/quote']

I beg to differ, sir!

For me 3 is a return to form after the clumsy second one!

But I agree it's highly under rated.

So I don't beg to differ on all counts!

BHC2 still kicks most other films arses!

Guest bluesxman

Best bit in Trading Places isn't even Murphy related, it's when Beeks is on the phone and there's a woman waiting to use it after him. He just goes 'Hang On' down the phone and turns round and tells her to Fuck off. Superb. Worn out many a rewind button that one. :rockon:

Guest DustyDeviada
Best bit in Trading Places isn't even Murphy related' date=' it's when Beeks is on the phone and there's a woman waiting to use it after him. He just goes 'Hang On' down the phone and turns round and tells her to Fuck off. Superb. Worn out many a rewind button that one. :rockon:[/quote']

Agreed! Amazingly funny bit!

Guest DustyDeviada
well thats fair enough!! id have to say BHC 3 is highly under rated' date=' maybe not as good as one and two but still class[/quote']

BHC 3, well, it's OK. The only truly outstanding moment for me is when he is being chased and manages to run right into the middle of a kiddie display thing in the middle of Wonderworld. he proceeds to do a really daft dance with his trademark daft grin.

As a kid I used to think that BHC 2 was better than BHC, now I'm older and wiser I can see that BHC is superior. But BHC 2 still has some class moments.

"I'm Axel Foley, Beverly Hills Building inspector..."

"You know where your dick is, don't you Big Al?"

"Seven dollars for a coke? I can get blown for seven dollars."

"I have a bag this big and this wide, filled to the brim with money."

Guest bluesxman
Well' date=' back in the good old days, video tapes were really expensive. Taping a film off the telly generally meant taping over another film as you only ever had a couple of tapes at a time[/quote']

Ha, so it wasn't just me! Constant viewing in my house was -

Halloween

Escape From New York

The Thing

National Lampoon's Vacation

Dirty Harry

Blackadder 2

Guest DustyDeviada

God knows how much they used to cost. Maybe a fiver in 85? What's that, a tenner nowadays or something?

It is quite a lot I suppose. On the plus side it meant you didn't fill up loads of tapes with loads of crap. I've got hundreds of tapes that I'll never watch again.