aberdeen-music

Artic Monkeys Midweek No.1

Larsen B

Unbelievable!! It's currently outselling the Sugababes. Their first single too! Just goes to show, whether you like them or not NME, have the power to make a band huge these days. Shame this is a pretty shit band. Still it's good to see an "alternative" band have immediate commercial success. Whether it lasts is another matter.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to see a half decend band with real musical talent actually getting somewhere, unlike the Rachel Stephens or Liberty X's which constantly bombard the chart with re-hashed versions of old songs or cover up there poor vocals with synths or effects!!

What a sorry state of affairs were in if the NME dictates whats cool and what we should be listnening to! Mon the Monkeys...

The Arcitc Monkeys did have a single out before this one, but it was very limited and is selling for crazy prices on ebay!! I got mine before the NME jumped on the "were cool" bang wagon.. cheers Rossco

thats fucking ace and i dont think its got anything to do with nme' date=' i got into the arctic monkeys before nme starting raving about them, going to see them tonight, cant wait, there top of the charts coz there single is fucking amazing and thats why full stop.[/quote']

Maybe you would be into them regardless but being hyped by NME makes daytime radio and more casual music fans take notice.

Nothing cheers my heart quite like a worthy no.1. I thought "Do You Want To" would provide one, but inexplicably it only hit no.4. I dont know where Rachel Stevens hit, but I know it failed also. Both Sugababes or Artic Monkeys have worthy singles, so either way I'm pleased, but the fact the latter are genuine scallies makes me root for them

Guest idol_wild

I disliked the first Arctic Monkeys single, but I rather like this one.

I'm uncertain as to whether their album is likely to be any good though - the flipsides of new single are rank, if that's anything to go by!

i know the singles charts dont mean as much as they used to, and with the download charts etc it all gets a little dilluted in the process..

however it is good to see proper bands getting the recognition they deserve, if the fecking Kyber Chiefs can storm the charts why not the Monkeys.. Just as long as they dont start prancing around on T4 at the Beach and shite...

NME is really annoying me constantly wetting their pants over them... They're a pretty good band' date=' but people need to calm down a bit.[/quote']

NME wets their pants over no-one. They may identify the Artic Monkeys as what the world needs now, but they speak about any band with their tongue-in-cheek, which is what bands deserve

NME wets their pants over no-one. They may identify the Artic Monkeys as what the world needs now' date=' but they speak about any band with their tongue-in-cheek, which is what bands deserve[/quote']

NME definatley wet their pants over bands, just look at the whole Libertines/Pete Doherty stuff EVERY WEEK! Pete has a massive poo and it's on page 4... I give it at most 6 weeks before the Arctic Monkeys get the cover.

Guest bluesxman
NME definatley wet their pants over bands' date=' just look at the whole Libertines/Pete Doherty stuff EVERY WEEK! Pete has a massive poo and it's on page 4... I give it at most 6 weeks before the Arctic Monkeys get the cover.[/quote']

I'll give it next week.....

I'll give it next week.....

yeah they are on the cover next week...well i think, anyway people are saying that they are being hyped, i seen them last night, they played about 15 songs and everyone knew the words to every song, and it wasnt just full of the 'typical nme reader', there were men in their 50s, kids as young as 12. so i do believe their album will be great, exceptionally great, they have that many great demos up their sleave that their b-sides are ace, ritz to the rubble is amazing plus last nite they were like 'this is a new one' to a couple of songs, as if they have been going for ages, just shows the quality they have already. anyway for a band so young, i honestly believe they have the potential to rise above everyone other band just now, there heading to the top of the charts because they are great, not because of nme. If this was the case pete doherty would have 10 number ones by now...

if anyone hasnt seen them in their last couple of tours you will never get the chance to see them in a little venue again, seen them last night in the exhange which was the smallest gig of their tour, was about the size of kef.

Dont believe the hype.......believe the music!!!