aberdeen-music

Fat Hippy Comp - anyone got it yet?

Afro Droid

Guest Bob Double Jack
If its any cosolation there was nothing to criticise' date=' its just a personal taste thing. You may have other stuff I like, I dont even like every track of bands I love... :love:[/quote']

you mean you don't like "Wired For Sound"?

Oh dear! :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karloff... Great band sadly let down by BLOODY AWFUL recording' date=' but they are a live experience.[/quote']

This track was recorded on about the 8th take, pretty much live. We did the drums, bass and my guitar together. This was partly because of studio time constraints and partly because of time constraints of our old drummer Uncle Pesto who travelled up from East Kilbride. We now have local leg-end "The Stab" installed on a spike behind the kick drum, and are gearing up to do several months of work on our new album coming out April 1st 2006. Expect this to be the most professional Fat Hippy release yet!

This track was recorded on about the 8th take' date=' pretty much live. We did the drums, bass and my guitar together. This was partly because of studio time constraints and partly because of time constraints of our old drummer Uncle Pesto who travelled up from East Kilbride. We now have local leg-end "The Stab" installed on a spike behind the kick drum, and are gearing up to do several months of work on our new album coming out April 1st 2006. Expect this to be the most professional Fat Hippy release yet![/quote']

*cough cough*

;)

just outta interest. i think most of the tracks on this album were recorded pretty much live ( i know ours was). this is something to be considered cause studio time for 20 diff bands to do a pro recording would have cost the bands a lot AND all you punters out there a fair bit more than 3 quid a disc. so be careful about slagging off recording/quality/mixing/etc. a lot of work went in to this release to help benefit both bands and punters.

ps. perhaps some1 else out there who doesnt like the quality would consider putting their cash up front to pay for all 20 bands to do a recording which matches their exacting standards.

/cheers for Cap`n Tom

just outta interest. i think most of the tracks on this album were recorded pretty much live ( i know ours was). this is something to be considered cause studio time for 20 diff bands to do a pro recording would have cost the bands a lot AND all you punters out there a fair bit more than 3 quid a disc. so be careful about slagging off recording/quality/mixing/etc. a lot of work went in to this release to help benefit both bands and punters.

ps. perhaps some1 else out there who doesnt like the quality would consider putting their cash up front to pay for all 20 bands to do a recording which matches their exacting standards.

/cheers for Cap`n Tom

Im sorry but just like any art form if its put out for public consumption then the possibility of someone sharing their opinion of the goods is highly likely....my review was pure personal opinion, the recording quality and mix are "in my opinion" as important as the song, and I believe that if the recording isnt as good as you can make it then you shouldnt expect people to pay for it, on a compilation there is always the chance that there will be a gem among the shit which makes the cd worth the asking price, its very important for the bands involved in a compilation to make sure their bit can stand up against the rest or even shine......

Which band are you in as a matter of interest?

" perhaps some1 else out there who doesnt like the quality would consider putting their cash up front to pay for all 20 bands to do a recording which matches their exacting standards"

Lets think about this one........ ok lets approach a record label....."here listen to this cd, its shit, so will you pay for us to record something better" the response would be a fairly swift kick up the arse I would guess......

Oh and a poor recording will never benefit a band or "the punters"

G...

This track was recorded on about the 8th take' date=' pretty much live. We did the drums, bass and my guitar together. This was partly because of studio time constraints and partly because of time constraints of our old drummer Uncle Pesto who travelled up from East Kilbride. We now have local leg-end "The Stab" installed on a spike behind the kick drum, and are gearing up to do several months of work on our new album coming out April 1st 2006. Expect this to be the most professional Fat Hippy release yet![/quote']

Stop making excuses and spend some of your aquired fortune on making a class record....your public deserve it.

G...

Guest bluesxman

The Daily Record review of Girl Said No states Corrs style vocals and Cranberries style music, that's fairly put me off ever hearing them....that and seeing them in a wacky thumbs up and inane grin picture pose in an advertisement recently....

Girl said no... Treading a well worn path tread so much better by so many gone before' date=' I seem to remember a band called Slipstream, before your time though.[/quote']

I know who you mean.

Guest bluesxman
:finger:

Well now' date=' that's not very pleasant is it? I hate The Corrs and The Cranberries so why would I want to listen to a band described as a mixture of both? And I hate wacky poses in music, which is one reason why Paul 'wacky thumbs aloft' McCartney is always below Lennon for me. That and his higher level of nauseating output.

But since you took the time to be abusive towards me, I thought i'd take the time to investigate your band to see what's what -

First stop - Purevolume [url']http://www.purevolume.com/girlsaidno. Listened to your songs, the first, 'Blowing Away', fits the Record description and so was not very pleasant to my ears. The second, 'Heavy Stereo' was better as it had more pace to it and better utilised your singers vocal capabilities in my opinion.

Describing yourselves as having played Aberdeen's biggest venues may be a bit economical with the truth. I don't think the AECC or Music Hall have had the pleasure have they? Maybe stating one of the bigger venues would have been more honest.

Second stop - your webpage http://www.girlsaidno.co.uk. I would correct the spelling mistakes in your biog if you want to appear as professional as you think you will be. And I apologise, there were no thumbs up in the pic I referred to. But it was still wacky posing ahoy.

And if you are going to become as big as you seem to think you will be, I would get thicker skin - are you going to give the fingers to every passing critic such as myself who says he doesn't like the sort of stuff you do? It's called taste and everyone's is different.

we played the AECC a few months ago as part of the Live 8 thing

you may be right about the photo in retrospect not our greatest moment and i will get the spellcheck sorted!

Regards your opinion on our music fair enough. the fact that there was 20 bands on the cd highlights the diversity of the scene, i dont think you will ever find us on stage with a lot of the bands on the cd but it is still a pretty decent collection of bands and hopefully it will get people into other bands on the cd who they may not have been exposed to before. Stand out tracks for me were definitely Eddison and Hot Mangu's tracks and although our recording is pretty live and not our best recording we are pretty happy with being one of the bands highlighted in The Daily Record review.

on another note cheers to everyone who bought tickets for our gig at the lemon tree on friday making it another sell out, get there early and catch The Front and Redd Up who are both quality

Its a smilie of course its meant to be nice?!?! Your comment however could have been alot clearer. If you've got no problem with us and you simply dont want to listen to us fair enough but the comment could easily have been misunderstood. Fair enough?

To be honest I just wanted to reply without actually having to seem like we're offended or we're going to start a huge argument blah blah blah etc. I'm writing back on myself now though because I cant explain what I want to without a big post but its the last one I promise! :D

Another member of the band has been previously replying to any comments made and I really just wanted to say how much I thought this message board has changed. I've been on and off here in different guises (different bands) since I was about 16 and I have to say the amount of in fighting and bitching that goes on here (now) is actually quite sad (by the way bluesxman this isnt aimed directly at you it just so happened you sparked me off this morning).

I can honestly remember never reading derogatory comments made about bands as you can flick through and see now and to be honest it makes me not want to take part in the board at all. I met a heap of folk through the AUBL (between about 99 to 2004) who I would gladly talk to now but some of the people on here just make themselves look like stirrers not folks who want to be involved in the music scene. The people I met were in different style bands and folk I wouldnt usually meet so it was cool for me. Because of that I thought you could go about promoting your band as you wanted without fear of having someone trying to put a downer on what you want to do. Who cares if a band tries to hype themselves up? If they're serious about fulfilling a dream surely they have the right to do it how they want?

Bluesxman as for your comment about the Lemon Tree are you saying its not one of the biggest venues in ABerdeen? Be realisitc. How the fuck does an unsigned band from Aberdeen get a gig at the AECC (which we have played by the way) or the Music hall. As far as I can tell its through hard graft or luck but why did you feel the need to make the point that we hadnt??? A few years ago I dont think the point would have been made. It just seems like everyone wants to be right or have the last word. I dont plan on replying to any other posts so someone else can fight for it. You can have a chocolate badge.

Anyway Im looking forward to reading any replies off the back of this especially if anyones in agreement. I personally think the message board is a lot less welcoming than it used to be but that its a result of the people who use it not the AUBLs fault.

As for the comment about spelling on the website wise the fuck up everyone makes mistakes.

Anyway Im looking forward to reading any replies off the back of this especially if anyones in agreement. I personally think the message board is a lot less welcoming than it used to be but that its a result of the people who use it not the AUBLs fault.

Of course its not AUBL's fault this site isnt run by them, but to a degree you're right, this site isnt as welcoming and is possibly more genre sepcific than previously. There is, however the point that in any well attended website like this one there will be disagreements and constructive criticism is something every band needs to take. As for how do an unsigned band play bigger venues, ask MMw, you dont get much bigger than the SECC. Capacity wise, the Lemon Treeis IIRC the 4th biggest 'specific' venue after The AECC, The Music Hall, and of course Moshulu.

Must get a copy of this sampler, hear the locals :)

Cheers

Stuart

I really just wanted to say how much I thought this message board has changed. I've been on and off here in different guises (different bands) since I was about 16 and I have to say the amount of in fighting and bitching that goes on here (now) is actually quite sad

This is something we've noticed ourselves and when the next big update is made to the site (in the very near future) the rules will be updated as well' date=' to enable us to take a stronger stance against all the sniping and bitching that goes on round here.

As for the comment about spelling on the website wise the fuck up everyone makes mistakes.

I think his comment was fair enough. Your website is the first point of contact many people will have with the band and if you want to appear professional you should at least proof read it to ensure there's no spelling errors.

Of course its not AUBL's fault this site isnt run by them' date=' but to a degree you're right, this site isnt as welcoming and is possibly more genre sepcific than previously. There is, however the point that in any well attended website like this one there will be disagreements and constructive criticism is something every band needs to take. As for how do an unsigned band play bigger venues, ask MMw, you dont get much bigger than the SECC. Capacity wise, the Lemon Treeis IIRC the 4th biggest 'specific' venue after The AECC, The Music Hall, and of course Moshulu.

Must get a copy of this sampler, hear the locals :)

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

fair play to them again to get the bigger venues its all about getting good contacts to get good support slots.

regards the venues i agree though i would say that the lemon tree versus moshulu is an 'either or' in terms of there is not much between the size of venues. i think the fire capacity is about 700 at moshulu (could be wrong, only know this as was one of the management team back in the Berlins/Zuu days) with the lemon tree about 600 all in.

i think you would base the choice of venue on the crowd that you attract. we can comfortably sell out the lemon tree well in advance of our gigs there as the people that come to see us like the venue and are probably not the folk that go out and see a lot of bands. i would imagine if we were playing moshulu we would find it a lot harder to sell out, not due to difference in the size of venue more to do with the venue itself (not a slagging just mean in terms of music played/clientel etc would probably not appeal to our crowd and they would probably not frequent there often if at all). the best example of that is that a lot of people on this site go to Moshulu... so they can get away from music like ours!!

as we pride ourselves on selling out all our headline gigs in Aberdeen (which are pretty much exlusively 6 monthly at the lemon tree now) it wouldnt be in our interests to move from a lemon tree gig where there is a bit of a buzz in terms of it being sold out well in advance of the gig - which keeps the venue happy and ensures we get ever improving deals on door splits etc. the alternative would probably be playing to a half full Moshulu in the knowledge that the only reason it wouldnt be sold out is location rather than anything else

the step up from playing Moshulu/lemon tree to the other venues is pretty dramatic without being a support band, obviously AECC pretty much unatainable and the logistics of arranging a gig at the music hall mean that it is not the easiest (in terms of booking own security etc). the benefit of the lemon tree and moshulu is that the logistical side is pretty much taken care of and all a band needs to concentrate on is selling all the tickets and putting on a good show etc

Guest bluesxman

OK, well I am not presently in a band, so am not guilty of inter-band sniping for one thing. I made a flippant comment based on bands I had actually heard and don't like being aligned with you in your review. The photo thing, it did genuinely pain me to see that. It reminded me of a Phoenix Nights promotional poster. But as I said, why would you really care about what I think and say on here? I never slagged your music off. I have taken the piss out of pictures of Nick Cave, who I admire greatly. I'm sure he would really care....

I agree that bands in Aberdeen should be more supportive of each other and have stated this in the past to derisory responses. I am no expert on every local band but the style of music you play and even the self promotion on your web site is not going to align with a lot of peoples tastes, myself included. Mainly due to the fact that this forum is populated by those of a more 'alternative' taste in general. This then splits down into the sub-genres - metal, punk, etc, which naturally leads to division and expressions of tastes. The effect of this is dependent on how view points are put across. Can you honestly say that my initial comment was a direct attack on your music? However, moving on from the flippant comment I initially made, I then gave an honest assessment of your work and promotion which was intended to be helpful.

The spelling issue - to point out spelling mistakes on this forum, well, whoop de doo, who cares? It's a discussion forum, people mis-type, wow, grow up. On a promotion based web site? All I was trying to do was point out that a certain lack of professionalism could be taken from that - if you are serious about making it, surely you care about this?

On the venues - I never said the Lemon Tree wasn't the 3rd biggest - all I said was it isn't the biggest. Playing the AECC as part of Live 8 is hardly the same as implying you have played it by your own virtue. Of course an unsigned band isn't going to play there on their own steam, so why try and pretend you have?

One thing I will always do is be honest about what I hear and see relating to music, I have been listening to music for 20-odd years now and am passionate enough about it to state my views quite openly. If I see or hear something good I will say it just as openly - see my comments on Hookers Green No.1 last week, and about The Videos and Project:Ven Hell's My Space music.

I don't think I'll bother getting hold of the sampler and giving a track by track assessment, the horror....

I am no expert on every local band but the style of music you play and even the self promotion on your web site is not going to align with a lot of peoples tastes' date=' myself included. Mainly due to the fact that this forum is populated by those of a more 'alternative' taste in general.[/quote']

That's by accident rather than design. This forum is supposed to be inclusive, not exclusive and personally I think it's a better site for having bands like Girl Said No and Eskimo Blonde posting on it.

Can we get back on topic please? The sampler contains many bands who aren't called Girl Said No :D

I'm going to pick up a copy today when I head into town. Will give my thoughts later on.

Im sorry but just like any art form if its put out for public consumption then the possibility of someone sharing their opinion of the goods is highly likely....my review was pure personal opinion' date=' the recording quality and mix are "in my opinion" as important as the song, and I believe that if the recording isnt as good as you can make it then you shouldnt expect people to pay for it, on a compilation there is always the chance that there will be a gem among the shit which makes the cd worth the asking price, its very important for the bands involved in a compilation to make sure their bit can stand up against the rest or even shine......

Which band are you in as a matter of interest?

" perhaps some1 else out there who doesnt like the quality would consider putting their cash up front to pay for all 20 bands to do a recording which matches their exacting standards"

Lets think about this one........ ok lets approach a record label....."here listen to this cd, its shit, so will you pay for us to record something better" the response would be a fairly swift kick up the arse I would guess......

Oh and a poor recording will never benefit a band or "the punters"

G...[/quote']

what band im in is of no interest here. my comments are my own comments therefore not tied to my band (hence why its not listed in my name). also, i accept that this is your personal opinion on the tracks and that is fair enough. you are entitled to your opinion and i have no beef with whether you like/dislike certain bands.

what does annoy me slightly is that if the recordings were ALL top notch and then you (and me) punters were then asked to shell out say 10 quid to help cover the costs do you think fat hippy would sell so many?? do you think a 3 quid door charge (at the drummonds release gig) would have entitled people to a free copy? would scotland and the uk at large have been exposed to so many bands from the NE if it wasnt for this cd? i doubt it.

your comment about approaching a "bigger" label to release this is, frankly, stupid. if there are any bands on this cd that "bigger" labels liked in any way they should be big enough to not have their view on the music blighted by the fact that they consider some of the recordings to be sub standard. they would come along to a live show and check them out (i would hope) and move on from there. whether that leads anywhere is up to the label and the quality of the band.

i just feel you were being overly critical of the quality rather than the music on it. not many people put so much time and effort in to doing something like this for the local music scene as Tom does and it grates me a little to see it so cackhandedly slated as much as you did. sure, slag of the bands if you feel they deserve it, mention that overall you weren`t happy with the recording quality, but DONT slag off the the work put in by Fat Hippy because, realistically, they are about the only people in the NE who really try to get newer music out there for the punters to (hopefully) enjoy. and for the mega cheap price of 3 quid - show me the last cd you bought with 20 tracks on it for under a tenner (not including NOW XX...).

ps. no flame wars please. thats not my intent.