aberdeen-music

Dentists

Riot Radio

okay, so I got a bottle of my face resulting in my lip busting open good n proper and chipping one of my teeth so much its not much of a tooth and the other front tooth cracked severely, not sure if either are salvageable, and I havent been registered to a dentist for nearly two years, yet I am a student at Aberdeen college so Im unaware weather or not I am eligible for a nhs dentist or whatever, but Im looking to get this sorted ASAP as I can't eat and Im smoking my cigarettes through a pen and when I drink I drink from a corner which usually ends up with me dribbling.. Wondering what would be the best way to be about resolving this, any help advice welcome

When you were registered was it in Aberdeen? If so you *might* be able to chance it and just phone them up again. I finally remembered to make an appointment with my dentist after over ayear and I had no problems.

Other wise I'm just not sure, sorry. Maybe just going into a dentists surgery would give you some answers, I don't know if NHS 24 (the phone line) deal with this or not.

As for being covered by the NHS, I think you're entitled to free or reduced dental treatment if you're in full time or higher education or earning below a certain amount.

You're pretty much stuffed. Getting an NHS dentist is impossible, I've got to haul my ass to Westhill to get a dentist. The best thing to do is phone the hosital on 681818, asking for family health. They've got a list of dentists that are taking on folk (if there is anybody). They can also help you out with emergency denistry, if you are willing to pay for it.

When you were registered was it in Aberdeen? If so you *might* be able to chance it and just phone them up again. I finally remembered to make an appointment with my dentist after over ayear and I had no problems.

Other wise I'm just not sure' date=' sorry. Maybe just going into a dentists surgery would give you some answers, I don't know if NHS 24 (the phone line) deal with this or not.

As for being covered by the NHS, I think you're entitled to free or reduced dental treatment if you're in full time or higher education or earning below a certain amount.[/quote']

Nope.. not a local boy. But I'll give my old dentist a phone tomorrow to see if there's anything they can do about it as i'm really grudging paying for any treatment, more so because I have no income in any form and have been digging into an overdraft for a couple weeks now.

But thanks for the NHS24 mention, I forgot about them, I'll give them a ring as well, they should be able to point me in the right direction and answer my questions more so.

Thank you :up:

right first off are you under 19?? if not you are going to have to pay for the work you need done.

Also if and when you phone NHS24 be prepared to have to give them all your details if you've never phoned them before.

How close to Aberdeen are you? if you are within reasonable traveling distance you should be able to get an appointment at the emergancy dentist within the hospital grounds, when i went a few months ago it cost me 19 quid odd to have a tooth pulled, i was adviced to take at least 30 quid. At the moment i don't have access to the number, but NHS24 will be able to help you.

I had a sore tooth the other day so I called the nearest dentist to my house and said "Hello. My teeth hurt. Help me." They managed to see me that day and have subsequently had no problems giving me more apointments. I have an awful problem with my nerves or something they discovered so need alot of work done. As a full-time student who is 18 I get free treatment, but I've been told by my dentist that even if you're in FT education, if you are 19 or over, you pay. You can however apply for help in paying medical bills, the form you get from the post office for this is 'HC 1' although the woman also mentioned HC 2 and HC 3.

That is all I know.

EDIT: This is Stuart, not porter, some twit spilled on my laptop so I'm using Rach's computer and forgot to log her out. Buggeration.

So' date=' I have a question now. Do I have to pay for continuing dental treatment when I'm over 19 if it started when I was younger? I depise my dentist - 8 years of braces is beyond a fucking joke and I'm not going to be chuffed if I have to pay now.[/quote']

This is going by what a woman at the Strathclyde Health Board or whatever said to me, and is also from my recently ruined memory, but I think that if treatment is started before the age you have to pay, they would finish it free. Don't take my word for it though.

And I have an awful feeling I'm still on Rachels account.

If the bottle off your face was by neds or something (as opposed to an accident), you can claim from the criminal injury compensation thing. I got glassed a few weeks ago and my mum found out something about it. I don't actually have any details, but worth checking the police website. If you have to pay for the dentist, I'm assuming you pay up front and get the money refunded.

if you get work started on you when you dont have to pay, the treatment is finished free. I am not working right now and i have just had alot of dental work done which was free. if i had gotten a job half way through appointments, it would still have been free.

the emergency dentist should be free but i think they will only give you one appointment, then you have to find a dentist.

BTW i found my dentist through the yellow pages, according to NHS direct my dentist dosnt take nhs patients -worth a look

So' date=' I have a question now. Do I have to pay for continuing dental treatment when I'm over 19 if it started when I was younger? I depise my dentist - 8 years of braces is beyond a fucking joke and I'm not going to be chuffed if I have to pay now.[/quote']

I had treatment started when i was 9 years old because, to cut a long story short i had FAR too many teeth and had to get a fair few taken out to make space for my adult ones and my dentist referred me to the orthodontist for treatment. i continued getting treatment for the subsequent 9 years and i'm still waiting for more adult teeth to come in before i can get a brace and straighten them out. I wasn't too amused when i found out earlier this year that because although i'm still a full time student at uni and am continuing ongoing treatment that if i get anything else done i will have to pay for it. I got the form mentioned earlier in the thread and filled it out but i still have to pay the first 300 quid of any further treatment i have and they will foot the bill for the rest. although this is significantly better than paying for the whole lot, i'm sure a lot of students will agree with me that quickly coming up with a spare 300 bucks is by no means an easy feat :(