aberdeen-music

Bird Flu

framheim

We should run a line on who on the board's going to get it first.

I put my odds at 200-1. Surely worth a flutter?

I was in Toronto just after the SARS outbreak. Couldn't believe that they didn't sell t-shirts that said "I went to Toronto and all I got was this lousy SARS". Missed a trick.

On another note, I found a completely random business card in my wallet last night. Turns out it was from a bloke that I met in a pub in Toronto who was a complete twat (in that kind of likeable Canadian way). He was a complete bullshitter - or so I thought - until I checked the website and it turns out he actually was a reasonably famous Canadian artist. Oops.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter whether we worry or not. There's bound to be something (whether it's Bird Flu or something else) because it's the kind of thing that happens from time to time (a bit like the way there's going to be another mass extinction at some point). However, we won't know about it till it hits us.

Someone said MRSA is blown out of proportion. I don't agree in the slightest. Something which basically occurs in such large numbers because hospitals are so clatty is definitely worth going on and on about. However, it is part of a succession of British governments' continual aim to annihilate the NHS.

Guest pop-notmyface

to be honest, i really don't give a fuck.

i don't watch knews because all television does is terrify the living daylights out another. the result is whole continents living in fear. i'm not even kidding.

if there was NO SUCH THING as TELEVISION, i think the world would be a happier and more peaceful place. at least i'd imagine so. maybe people would go out and do something constructive. or maybe they'll go and commit crimes. but i'd hope for the former.

i don't want to know about birdflu. i want to get tattos. drink drinks. have sex. take drugs. listen to music. make conversation. look at pretty paintings. that kind of stuff. :D

Guest tv tanned
all i know is' date=' having a 'leif' through the paper today, it claimed a minimum of 50,000 Brits will die[/quote']

Then it is a lying pile of shit, because the Chief Medical Officer said that 'up to' 50,000 people could die. As usual the media takes the figure and runs with it in its usual sensationalised manner.

Why idiots like Liam Donaldson insist on putting a figure on something when it is obviously little more than guesswork is beyond my comprehension.

a pandemic is inevitable....not really sure how real the threat is, or how well the government is prepared!

I bet when they talk about pandemic, they are really talking about the bird population.

I mean you'd think people would have learned from the SARS episode where fuck all happened over here.

As for migratory birds, yadda yadda yadda, the only way you will contract bird flu is if you are in close contact with poultry. Hence why less developed countries are the ones seeing human contaminations.

So unless you are sleeping with some chickens and turkeys, your chances of contracting it are less likely than being hit by a bus while carrying the winning lottery ticket and then being hit by lightning. Twice.

I really wish people would get a sense of perspective. Over 20,000 people have been killed, and thousands more made homeless, by an earthquake in Pakistan/Kashmir/India and all that happens over here is people get worried about a strain of flu which hasn't even been detected here.

I say kill all the fucking birds. Especially seagulls. For all we know they could be carrying more deadly diseases than bird flu - what with all the shite they eat' date=' they could be carrying fatal strains of food poisoning but noones worried about that.[/quote']

I second that ... seagulls are evil!

you will' date=' of course, explain how media-driven hysteria equates to the nanny state, won't you?[/quote']

To equivocate: In my opinion when the media starts to scaremonger it's to elicit a government response that demands that the populace be evermore vigilant than before, take the necessary precautions but still seek protection that the govt can supply. As a reslut we become molly-coddled and mollified by it.

Satisfied?

Guest tv tanned

not entirely, but that's really besides the point.

the whole bird flu thing just smacks of the 'fear' agenda being pushed yet again.

I suppose ID cards will save us all...

Guest pop-notmyface
no.....not' date=' 55 million?[/quote']

in that case we should party while we still have time....

and in the meantime, please refrain from poking dead birds or doing the Tom "get-inside-the-animals" Green.

:up:

As far as i'm concerned - i will blame the government if it kills a load of brits.

France has been preparing for a year. Gordon Brown mentioned preperation last year - we only got thinking about it in march this year.

WE should have started stockpiling medicines and teaching gp's about it a few years ago.

yes i know there is no vaccine since no human strain yet exists but there is a medecine which helps fight the symptons. Currently the uk has an order for over 14 million of these - they probably won't be read till 2006, and our population is about 60 million.

Call me whatever you like - but if bird flu comes into aberdeenshire i'll stay indoors ta very much.

edit - i agree with those whoay the media pumps fear into the nation. The media is stupid.

Aberdeen Starts the Bird Flu! From the Evening Express Website...

16:00 - 21 October 2005

A Deadly strain of bird flu sweeping Asia and Eastern Europe was first found in a North-east chicken.

Scientists studying the history of the H5N1 virus have traced its first recorded episode to an Aberdeenshire farm in 1959.

The dead bird was examined after infecting other chickens.

The current H5N1 virus has killed 69 people and 100 million birds in Asia, with cases also reported in Russia, Turkey and Romania.

British medical authorities are preparing for a possible pandemic but the North-east case notes have not been consulted.

Medical agencies were unable to provide details of the 1959 case but said the virus had become deadlier in recent years.

Okay, I'm getting less worried about it infecting people BUT.

The two largest areas for migratory birds are:

Aberdeenshire - geese etc, the newburgh estuary and the estuary up past peterhead.

Norfolk.

So lets say the non human version gets here. It CAN kill people, but it cannot go from person to person. Then again, it's only a matter of time before it mutates.

In terms of birds - Aberdeenshire is very much at the centre of things should to come to Europe, or Western Russia.

bugger.

I'm not majorly worried about it but I think it is a concern. Yeah the media are going on about it a lot at the moment' date=' but if it just arrived and nobody had been warned everyone would suddenly be all "Why weren't we warned?" and what not.

Right now, I'm more worried about being beaten to death in the street than I am about bird flu. And I get a regular flu jab anyway so I should be ok.[/quote']

Sorry to tell you but your flu jab will have no effect what so ever on bird flu..... :down:

are you worried? should we be worried? bbc news was in a gp's today asking if the public had been showing concern and i couldn't help thinking that they wouldn't be showing any concern if the media hadn't been going on and on and on about bird flu and throwing out figures like 50' date=' 000 people will die when it arrives. obviously i'm not saying the media shouldn't include it in the news to some extent but it's boardering on scare tactics. it's not even here yet.

what do you lot think?[/quote']

The good old BBC announced on monday night's news that someone in asia had died of the bird flu, "he caught it from eating infected chicken" they said, and thats after weeks of health experts saying there is no possibility of catching it from contaminated meat.....someone should make up their mind.

Guest AmbientMood
Someone already said that' date=' and I already responded telling them that for now, it's probably the best thing you can do to help, [b']I understand I keep repeating the same mistake even though I've acknowledged that I'm speaking shit

Well seeing as you really just aren't 'getting it,' maybe I should tell you again:

A standard flu jab will be no protection whatsoever against this disease.