aberdeen-music

Spyamp and Uncle Fritz - The Verdict

robbiecool

Some Dundee music for you.

I got the Spyamp album today and the Uncle Fritz offering at the weekend. Laeto (my band) have played with Spyamp almost too many times to remember and twice with Uncle Fritz but this is the first time I have had a chance to hear the recorded material. Both albums are excellent. Truly.

Spyamp GTi - Kind of makes me think of what it would be like if Fugazi played songs by The Police. They have riffs that instantly grab you backed up by drums that you want to see played live. Spyamp are also practitioners of the tantric arts. This gives them the power to successfully navigate through many changes in tempo and time signature. Dayyyyyyyyyyy-O.

Uncle Fritz Nine Songs - One man with a guitar (the aforementioned Fritz) playing the kind of things that you might expect such a combination of human and instrument to produce. Thankfully he stays well clear of the territory laid out by the loose headed D.Gray. Fritz is interesting in his use of melody, structure, and lyrical content. What I am trying to say is as far as solo performers with guitars go, David Gray = Bad, Uncle Fritz = Good.

In summary, buy these albums.

Both are on Pet Pirhana records and are out now.

Robbie.

Cheers ya'll! :) Thankyou for the kind words.

For those of you who may be interested, Perineum have recently aquired a new drummer in the form of Robin Sutherland who is coincidentally the knob twiddler behind Spyamp's GTi, Laeto's Zwoa and my own solo effort. We have a couple of gigs lined up in Dundee in December and providing everything goes well, we shall return to granite behemoth in the new year. :rockon:http://www.myspace.com/perineumtheband

Im also working on the follow-up to Nine Songs in the shed at the bottom of my parents garden. Hopefully I will have something ready in March time (fingers crossed) and no doubt will be coming out again through Pet Piranha. If anyone is ever needing an out-of-town solo performer for an Aberdeen gig then please give me a shout - fritz@petpiranha.com :)http://www.myspace.com/yourunclefritz

Cheers