aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music v5.0 - coming soon...

Neil

The development of v5.0 of the aberdeen-music web site has now begun in earnest and will hopefully be completed in the next month or so. The upgrade will consist of the following:

- Upgrade to v3.51 of vBulletin.

- Upgrade of the Chat Rooms and they will become better integrated into the web site.

- Significant re-organisation of the forums.

- Brand new graphical layout for the entire web site.

- New mission statement for the web to be published.

- New rules and guidelines for the web site to be published (they will also be made easier to find).

- New introduction to the web site for unregistered users that should make it easier to discover what the web site is all about.

- New sponsorship/advertising information page.

- Event flyer display.

Because the rules will be getting updated then like previous major upgrades the "banned" member list will become purged with all previously banned members being allowed to re-register on the web site (like they won't have already!). Their banned accounts will be getting deleted during the upgrade this time however.

A new graphical theme means that I need a new header graphic for the top of the web site - and, if you want, a new logo. I have the graphical design talent of a colour-blind gerbil so does anyone want to offer their services to complete this small task? :p

If anyone would like to see any other improvements rolled into this upgrade or have any questions regarding it then please just contact me.

UPDATE: Want to have a go at designing a new header for aberdeen-music v5.0? Then download the logo kit and read the readme.txt file for more details on what is required. The closing date for new header submissions is the 1st of November. Good luck!

please don't change it TOO much, just when i've got used to it all...lol, all sounds good, good luck!! may try my skills at a logo or banner or something...

ross

well considering it says in the announcement "brand new graphical layout for the entire site" as well as significant reorganisation of the forums and pretty much brand new everything else i'd imagine it's a fairly big change both visually and with the way the site runs.

well considering it says in the announcement "brand new graphical layout for the entire site" as well as significant reorganisation of the forums and pretty much brand new everything else i'd imagine it's a fairly big change both visually and with the way the site runs.

hey, you can change everything and still make it similar... :p The question was more related to the last change than the extent of the changes, anyway ;)

Guest tv tanned
How about an extension to the calendar system whereby members enter the names of the bands they're interested in into their account' date=' and when they log in they get a message telling them of any mention of that band on the forums since their last log in? Is such a thing possible?[/quote']

you can do this via the search function though can you not?

• 4 weeks later...

Because the rules will be getting updated then like previous major upgrades the "banned" member list will become purged with all previously banned members being allowed to re-register on the web site (like they won't have already!). Their banned accounts will be getting deleted during the upgrade this time however.

Will the recent, ie; last few days, banned members be allowed back in after this upgrade is complete?

Will the recent' date=' ie; last few days, banned members be allowed back in after this upgrade is complete?[/quote']

Yes, as the ban list will be getting wiped. However, their user accounts will also be getting deleted so they will have to re-register as a new user.

this sounds cool' date=' will there actually be a section to view gig flyers? it could maybe generate more work for Constant Static Graphics :D

Yep, this should be a pretty neat feature. I've still to finalise the details but there will be a flyer panel added to both the home page and the forum home page where thumbnails of flyers will be displayed. Click on the thumbnails and you get to see the full flyer image. To facilitate this I'll probably create a new section in the Galleries for people to upload their flyers to.

I can't take any credit for this idea though - gridlock suggested it in the chat rooms and I think it's a cracker. People already upload their flyers to the web site so it seems logical to show these flyers around the web site a little more. Consider it virtual flyering. :)

Yep' date=' this should be a pretty neat feature. I've still to finalise the details but there will be a flyer panel added to both the home page and the forum home page where thumbnails of flyers will be displayed. Click on the thumbnails and you get to see the full flyer image. To facilitate this I'll probably create a new section in the Galleries for people to upload their flyers to.

I can't take any credit for this idea though - gridlock suggested it in the chat rooms and I think it's a cracker. People already upload their flyers to the web site so it seems logical to show these flyers around the web site a little more. Consider it virtual flyering. :)[/quote']

Yup sounds nice.

Most importantly' date=' are the default avatars going to be changed or will I be able to keep my little Cowboy?[/quote']

Nope, the default avatars will remain as they are just now. Those of you with custom avatars will still have them following the upgrade.

regarding the avatars ' date=' is it possible to upload a picture as your avatar and the site would automatically resize it for you?

i have seen a few forums with this

[/quote']

Yep, I believe vBulletin 3.5 will automatically resize the avatar you upload to meet the maximum avatar size configured.