aberdeen-music

Sonic Youth Re-Issues

Paranoid Android

As previously reported Sonic Youth's debut EP is to be reissued, now due in early 2006, around the same time Ciccone Youth - the whitey album and thurston's solo album 'psychic hearts' will also be reissued.

I'm particulary looking forward to 'the whitey album'.

Also SYR 6 wil lbe out by the end of the year.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-10/10.shtml

As previously reported Sonic Youth's debut EP is to be reissued' date=' now due in early 2006, around the same time Ciccone Youth - the whitey album and thurston's solo album 'psychic hearts' will also be reissued.

I'm particulary looking forward to 'the whitey album'.

Also SYR 6 wil lbe out by the end of the year.

[url']http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-10/10.shtml

I've got the original SY debut Ep on vinyl so it would be good to get it on CD. Same with Psychic Hearts as it's a double vinyl set (only on 3 sides though).

The Whitey Album is still pretty easy to get hold off - i'm sure it's still in Fopp for a fiver. I'd only get it if there was extra tracks.

SYR6 is pretty exciting though.

there's no actual major release I don't have (barring a couple of side projects or solo stuff) and I also have dozens of CDs of bootlegs, live gigs, etc.

If you look at mutebank then I think a lot of 12" singles are still available there.

The reissues they've done with Dirty & Goo were pretty good - here's hoping they do something similar with The Whitey Album and SY EP.

What I would really like to see is a DVD issue of "1991 : The Year Punk Broke" - if only to replace my worn out VHS version!

Guest bluesxman

The good thing for people like me who aren't big fans but want to check some of their stuff out is you can pick up the old versions the fans are selling off at One Up for 3.99 :D

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-10/10.shtml#sonicyouth

Sonic Youth Recover Stolen Gear, Plan Releases

Zach Vowell reports:

Remember in 1999, when a vanload of Sonic Youth's gear was stolen in southern California? Well, according to Los Angeles CityBeat, the band is well on its way to recovering all of the precious, custom-modified instruments, amps, and accessories. This summer, a mysterious fan approached the band, claiming a family member was responsible for the theft, and delivered the goods.

Hey, maybe they can stop being a hippie jam band now and get back to the rawk. After finishing a busy few months of touring, it would seem that Sonic Youth could once again do great deeds with those noisemaking machines. However, the gear's triumphant homecoming (no doubt heralding many proclamations of "Sonic Youth return to form, for real") may be less anticipated by the time the band gets through with everything planned for the next few months.

As a group, Sonic Youth will release the sixth recording on their SYR label probably before the end of the year. SYR 6, which is close to being completed, documents a performance with drummer/percussionist Tim Barnes on April 12, 2003 at Anthology Film Archives in New York City. Portions of the profits will benefit AFA.

On the reissues front, Sonic Youth released the "deluxe edition" of their 1990 album Goo on September 13. The band expects their long-lost eponymous EP from 1982 to be re-released by Geffen in early 2006. The band's oddball homage to Madonna, Ciccone Youth's The Whitey Album will also be reissued around the same time, as will Thurston Moore's 1995 solo album, Psychic Hearts.

As usual, the individual Sonics have plenty of solo/side project action going on. Moore will contribute songs to the second annual Deathbomb Arc Tape Club series, which has begun accepting subscriptions. The series will also include work from Tussle, Books on Tape, Chaki, Skull Skull (featuring members of Liars and Young People), and nearly 20 more artists dedicating to re-calibrating your aural senses. Moore, as well as fellow SY guitarist Lee Ranaldo, also have separate art shows running in New York, while Gordon has recently finished work on a collaborative film entitled Perfect Partner: Everything You Ever Wanted in a Car which has been screening in Europe the past week. So. Excuse Sonic Youth if they don't immediately hurry off and play with their newly recovered toys. They do, however, have a few live shows lined up in the near future. Maybe the toys will get a workout here:

10-26 Paris, France - Cite de la Musique (John Lennon tribute)

10-27 Paris, France - Cite de la Musique (John Lennon tribute)

10-28 Valencia, Spain - Greenspace

11-26 Sao Paulo, Brazil - Claro E Rock Festival

11-27 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Claro E Rock Festival

The band is currently in pre-production for their next studio album, tentatively titled Sonic Life, which will be the final record of their contract with Geffen records. Kim Gordon recently told the Belgian magazine De Morgen that the disc will be "very song-oriented". Who knows, maybe they'll deliver that Top 40 hit we've been waiting for. The Grateful Dead pulled it off over twenty years into their career, why can't SY?

Besides the inclusion of the newly returned instruments, Sonic Life will feature another change from the Sonic Youth formula of recent years. That same Los Angeles CityBeat article hints at a rumor that has been flying around the interweb recently: that Jim O'Rourke's time with Sonic Youth has ended. "Guitarist Jim O'Rourke, who joined the band as its fifth member in 1999, is here too, but won't be on the next SY album, set to begin recording next spring," it says. "He's moving on." Ooh, mysterious. But fear not, dear reader. We're on the case.