aberdeen-music

The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off....

Afro Droid

nah I saw it when it was screened originally ages ago. Sorry for having an opinon' date=' I should have known better. Maybe you can send me my horde membership card once I promise to be like you.[/quote']

so your opinion, when you watched it was "what the fuck was that filmed for?"

ah, more of a ponce than I'd first thought.

i do question the value of programs like this' date=' and I wonder why people like watching tragic things happening to other people, for entertainment purposes. Sorry, but I don't wanna see this kind of crap on tv just so people can say "aw wasn't that sad, at least he had a sense of humour!".

Channel 4 has really gone downhill lately, I don't watch it anymore.[/quote']

Fair enough if that's your opinion, but remember Johnny wanted people to see the programme not for sympathy (he knew he'd be dead by the time it was aired) or entertainment (He states at the very beginning it's for eductional purposes he wanted to be filmed.) It just happens that the guy had the best sense of humour ever and injected it into everything he ever did, despite his condition. At the end of the day all he ever wanted to do was prevent other children picking up this disease by brining attention to it so it could be properly researched.

If anything it worked because I saw the programme when it was first on and knew nothing about the condition. Here we are on it's third airing, Nell has ran the London marathon twice for the DebRA charity and folk are talking about it on an Aberdeen Music Forum. We were educated, not entertained.

i do question the value of programs like this' date=' and I wonder why people like watching tragic things happening to other people, for entertainment purposes. Sorry, but I don't wanna see this kind of crap on tv just so people can say "aw wasn't that sad, at least he had a sense of humour!".

Eh? A Channel 4 documentary showing the strength of human spirit, a man literally using his last dying breaths to get to No. 10 to try to make a difference - and succeeding - and all you see is something "tragic" happening to someone?

I thought it was fantastic - emotional, yes, but it would be impossible for it not to be. His spirit and strength is what people are commenting on with his excellent humour, not just that he "had a sense of humour".

Your loss I guess. The statement that you "don't watch" channel 4 anymore smacks of self importance and (attempted) intellectual superiority. There are plenty of REALLY shitty things to moan about - this was not one of them.

Totally, those bastards' standards have plummeted since the glory days of The Word, Eurotrash and The Girlie Show. Where has society's morals gone?

Guest tv tanned

to generalise the entire schedule of a television channel is extremely ignorant.

documentaries are, in my opinion, the best things to watch as they help to inform us and educate us about issues we may not be familiar with.

Channel 4 does indeed have some dirge in its schedule, just like every other TV channel, but it also has some absolute quality and has by far the best news programme on TV.

Gridlock seems obsessed by this need to place himself on a higher intellectual plain from the rest of us. Truth be told it is he who comes across as the ignorant one.

to generalise the entire schedule of a television channel is extremely ignorant.

documentaries are' date=' in my opinion, the best things to watch as they help to inform us and educate us about issues we may not be familiar with.

Channel 4 does indeed have some dirge in its schedule, just like every other TV channel, but it also has some absolute quality and has by far the best news programme on TV.

Gridlock seems obsessed by this need to place himself on a higher intellectual plain from the rest of us. Truth be told it is he who comes across as the ignorant one.[/quote']

I can generalise whatever I like thanks. Most people don't find it too difficult to form a general idea of what kind of stuff is shown on a particular channel. They all have their reputations, for example nobody has any qualms about generalising the content of channel 5.

Oh and as a footnote:

I am beginning to think that you can't possibly engage in a discussion with someone who has a different point of view, without resorting to turning it into a personal attack. Since you've done it yet again, I feel perfectly within my rights to state, for the record, that for you of all people are in no position to accuse anyone of trying to "place himself on a higher intellectual plain from the rest of us". You are consistently condescending and snooty whenever the opportunity arises. You work in politics, which automatically marks you out as someone who thinks they know better than anyone else and has the audacity to try and foist your beliefs on the rest of society and control peoples lives. So don't give me any of that crap, thanks, because you have no business trying to critique my personality or actions in an unsolicited manner.

Try and stick to the topic at hand in future instead of degrading yourself by turning everything personal like some kind of child.

Guest tv tanned
I can generalise whatever I like thanks. Most people don't find it too difficult to form a general idea of what kind of stuff is shown on a particular channel. They all have their reputations' date=' for example nobody has any qualms about generalising the content of channel 5. [/quote']

Yup, Five used to have almost nothing good on worth watching, except for some quality ice hockey coverage, but recently they have been showing some high quality American dramas. The Shield is a notable example.

Oh and as a footnote:

I am beginning to think that you can't possibly engage in a discussion with someone who has a different point of view, without resorting to turning it into a personal attack.

Another shockingly rubbish generalisation. I can engage in discussions with people who hold a different point of view. The problem with people such as yourself who hold an opposite point of view, is that they do not want to discuss, as you have made patently obvious with your oh-so-biting retorts to everyone who has responded to you. Your inability to back up your own ill-informed opinions without spitting the dummy is really quite tragic.

Since you've done it yet again, I feel perfectly within my rights to state, for the record, that for you of all people are in no position to accuse anyone of trying to "place himself on a higher intellectual plain from the rest of us". You are consistently condescending and snooty whenever the opportunity arises.

'For the record'?!? This board is not an American courthouse. Although it does occasionally descend into lynchmob mentality.

You work in politics, which automatically marks you out as someone who thinks they know better than anyone else and has the audacity to try and foist your beliefs on the rest of society and control peoples lives.

Oh do give it a rest. This little bit of spiteful bile proves you know nothing about me, or any other individual working in politics. If that is your unfortunate and misguided opinion, then so be it. For the record, I ain't the only one on here working in politics, and I happen to think the other person I know of who does is a nice person, despite not being of the same persuasions as me. Not exactly a validation of your 'theory' but hey ho.

And I don't 'foist my beliefs on society. Unless I missed the moment when freedom of speech was completely abolished, I have as much right as you do to express my opinions. If you think that is 'foisting' them on society then you are woefully misguided.

I also don't think I know better than anyone else, that's your disease, which is why I watch documentaries to learn more about various issues. You should try it sometime, then you might not be such a hostile little man.

So don't give me any of that crap, thanks, because you have no business trying to critique my personality or actions in an unsolicited manner.

:laughing: sorry, but :laughing:

stick to the topic at hand in future instead of degrading yourself by turning everything personal like some kind of child.

I was.

I informed you that your generalisation was ignorant. I then spoke about why I thought documentaries were useful.

Thanks for not making this personal though, that was a big help.

Gridlock seems obsessed by this need to place himself on a higher intellectual plain from the rest of us. Truth be told it is he who comes across as the ignorant one.

He doesn't go around trying to correct peoples spelling mistakes.

I wonder why people like watching tragic things happening to other people' date=' for entertainment purposes. [/quote']

You both need to come back down to earth and stop arguing like a pair of sissies.

One of the main things I got from that documentary was that there's hundreds of things I moan about that some people wish they even had or could do. Be greatful you can both make your own critique of spelling or TV programming whilst itching your balls or moving around, unlike the guy in the doc.

Guest tv tanned
He doesn't go around trying to correct peoples spelling mistakes.

touch

look, I never complained about this documentary, and I am well aware of how lucky I am. I see some pretty fucking horrific cases coming into the office via the mail, so I know there are people in the nearby area who have it far worse than I do.

Guest tv tanned

Just found this on the BBC website. Figure it is relevant to the discussion

Europe TV now 'less informative'

TV shows throughout Europe are becoming less informative and more sensational, a European watchdog has found.

With almost 4,000 TV channels to choose from, Europeans still rely upon TV as the primary source of information, the Open Society Institute reported.

But it found a drop in quality of news reporting in many countries.

"Investigative journalism and minority programming are hard to find in both public service and commercial broadcasting," the watchdog found.

Digital choice

The institute examined TV ownership, content and regulation in 20 European countries including the UK.

It found a drop in quality of news and cultural reporting in countries where a few companies often control a country's entire TV market and those which have opened up to a flood of commercial broadcasters.

In France, for example, commercial network TF1 attracts almost one-third of the national audience and half of its total TV advertising revenues.

Digital broadcasting could encourage more competition and choice in programming, the report said.

However, as current broadcast regulation does not cover digital broadcasting in most countries, it risks being dominated by a relatively small number of commercial companies.

The Budapest-based institute said governments should not let the market determine broadcasting policy, and should automatically give public service stations licences for digital broadcasting.

'Deluge' of channels

It recommended that the EU set up an agency to monitor media concentration and urged national governments to ensure that media ownership and public media funding were transparent.

"Viewers often do not receive the information necessary to make informed democratic choices," the watchdog said.

A "deluge" of commercial channels in some countries had led to ratings wars with public service broadcasters, said Miklos Haraszti, of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

"The inevitable result has been the dumbing down of public service content in many countries," he added.