aberdeen-music

How on earth.............

...... is it possible to download at a speed of 5.5MB/s when my download speed is 1MB?

1GB=3 minutes. :D Holy Shit

This sounds very suspicious to me.....

You cant get a 1 MegaByte Internet connection....it will be 1 MegaBit.

8bits = 1 byte.....therefore, a 1Mb connection can only give a maximum download speed of 128KB/sec.

For you to have downloaded 5.5MB/sec.....you would need, by my calculations, a 45.5Gb download speed.

ie. not a chance in hell!!

Someone is welcome to shoot me down in flames if they know better, but this just ain't possible from what I know about the subject.

This sounds very suspicious to me.....

You cant get a 1 MegaByte Internet connection....it will be 1 MegaBit.

8bits = 1 byte.....therefore' date=' a 1Mb connection can only give a maximum download speed of 128KB/sec.

For you to have downloaded 5.5MB/sec.....you would need, by my calculations, a 45.5Gb download speed.

ie. not a chance in hell!!

Someone is welcome to shoot me down in flames if they know better, but this just ain't possible from what I know about the subject.[/quote']

OK, so how come I just downloaded fifa 06 in 22 minutes?

OK' date=' so how come I just downloaded fifa 06 in 22 minutes?[/quote']

I don't know....all I'm saying is that a 1Mb line can only download at a MAXIMUM of 128KB/s, so something doesnt add up.

128KB/s = 1MB every 8 secs. = 1GB every 8192 second (136.5 minutes)

So, basically a 3GB download would take about 400 minutes (nearly 7 hours).

I'm not making this shit up....this is hard fact.

I don't know....all I'm saying is that a 1Mb line can only download at a MAXIMUM of 128KB/s' date=' so something doesnt add up.

I'm not making this shit up....this is hard fact.[/quote']

Well I guess I have acheived the impossible :D

I don't really care if you don't believe me. This isn't the first time this has happened, although the last time the speed was only a 5th of what it was this time. I spoke to my uncle about it (who used to own a computer programming and maintenence company and now programs computer for satelite tv channels) and he said that from time to time, when your ISP isn't busy it puts out ridiculous speeds. My other uncle builds computers for the Ministry of Defence since he retired from the R.E.M.E and he said there could be several reasons for this happening.

Guest MerryChristmas
I don't know....all I'm saying is that a 1Mb line can only download at a MAXIMUM of 128KB/s' date=' so something doesnt add up.

I'm not making this shit up....this is hard fact.[/quote']

Im on 1mb and regularly get about 189kbps

I hope someone better equiped at explaining this comes into this thread.

I'll assume you live in aberdeen.

ADSL is the only (outside of slow and expensive leased lines and satelite) option for broadband in this fair city. ADSL is delivered over copper wiring (ie, your phone line). A standard copper telephone line, is simply not capable of delivering those speeds.

If you live within about 4KM of your local telephone line (cable length, not as the crow flies) you can take in the whole range of ADSL services, upto 8Mb on activated exchanges (this is, as yet, unavailable in aberdeen).

In order to get anything faster, you need ADSL2 (such as Be Internet are starting to provide in southern England).

Even ADSL2 is only capable of speeds of up to 24Mb, and this is only within a cable length radius of about 1.5km.

There are a few scenarios to explain away your mad fifa download speed:

1. You are in a university (not Aberdeen or RGU) with a fast enough speed to achieve what you're talking about.

2. You have an optical fibre internet connection, which isn't available in this country

3. You're mistaken, and rather than download fifa you've downloaded a fake file.

4. You're a liar.

Edit: The fastest (readily avaible) DIRECT ethernet networking cables are 1Gb. And more regularly 100mb.

Guest MerryChristmas

ADSL is the only (outside of slow and expensive leased lines and satelite) option for broadband in this fair city. ADSL is delivered over copper wiring (ie' date=' your phone line). A standard copper telephone line, is simply not capable of delivering those speeds.

If you live within about 4KM of your local telephone line (cable length, not as the crow flies) you can take in the whole range of ADSL services, upto 8Mb on activated exchanges (this is, as yet, unavailable in aberdeen).

In order to get anything faster, you need ADSL2 (such as Be Internet are starting to provide in southern England).

Even ADSL2 is only capable of speeds of up to 24Mb, and this is only within a cable length radius of about 1.5km.

1. You are in a university (not Aberdeen or RGU) with a fast enough speed to achieve what you're talking about.

2. You have an optical fibre internet connection, which isn't available in this country

3. You're mistaken, and rather than download fifa you've downloaded a fake file.

4. You're a liar.

Edit: The fastest (readily avaible) DIRECT ethernet networking cables are 1Gb. And more regularly 100mb.[/quote']

5. It was in his internet explorer cache

ADSL is the only (outside of slow and expensive leased lines and satelite) option for broadband in this fair city. ADSL is delivered over copper wiring (ie' date=' your phone line). A standard copper telephone line, is simply not capable of delivering those speeds.

Whatever you say sir.

4. You're a liar.

Edit: The fastest (readily avaible) DIRECT ethernet networking cables are 1Gb. And more regularly 100mb.[/quote']

Whatever you say sir.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
I think everyone with the good speeds must be stealing it from me. I have a 2MB link that is currently downloading at... wait for it' date=' 750 bytes/sec!.[/quote']

bullshitfrog.jpg

Actually, you might actually have to wait a minute for that.

when your ISP isn't busy it puts out ridiculous speeds.....

Yeah and some peoples cars occasionally let them drive at 1000 mph.....

Even if your ISP was busting out top speed, your modem will only be able to handle 8mb/s (at the very most) which if you do the maths, a 1gb file at 8mb/s would take 17 minutes exactly....

Are you sure you hadn't already downloaded the file, if you have a slow hard drive it could have taken a couple of minutes for it to copy the file from your cache to the new destination....

Failing that...the corrupt file theory above sounds likely, I've seen this before